[comp.sys.amiga] Anyone using CanDo? Is it worthwhile?

tony@sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) (07/04/90)

Sorry if this is a repeat from before, but I haven't seen anyone talk
about "CanDo" lately.  Is it worthwhile?  Is it useful?  Is it good?

What sorts of things are people using it for?

-- Tony
--

		Tony Parkhurst	( tony@sdd.HP.COM )

"Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (07/07/90)

In article <1990Jul3.172139.13284@sdd.hp.com> tony@sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) writes:
>Sorry if this is a repeat from before, but I haven't seen anyone talk
>about "CanDo" lately.  Is it worthwhile?  Is it useful?  Is it good?

Well, since everybody leaps up the moment AmigaTeX is mentioned I think we
can spare a K or so of bandwidth to sing the praises of CanDo. :-)

CanDo enables you to do just about anything on your Amiga with a lot less
effort than sitting down to just write code would require.  It's most
powerful feature (in my opinion) has got to be its Arexx interface.

Through CanDo you can add a full featured front end with buttons, boxes,
menus, icons, edit fields, etc. to all your Arexx scripts.  How often you
will need to resort to Arexx though, after you get CanDo, is questionable.

Since it can use virtually all the Amiga's features (sound, graphics, Arexx,
Brush Anims, Intuition gadgets, etc.) many programs are pure childs play.
Others may require more effort but I've found that by writing an Arexx host
(in C) you can add the functionality you may need for more esoteric tasks
quite easily.  Or just as easily avoid the messier parts of programming the
Amiga by writing your interface in CanDo and your back end in C.

My recommendation is to buy it whether or not you currently program in Arexx
or in C.  Even if you don't use either of these features you will still get
lots of use out of CanDo.

>What sorts of things are people using it for?
>		Tony Parkhurst	( tony@sdd.HP.COM )

1. Control panels (ala. Sid).
2. Front ends for CLI programs (like Superview or Mostra).
3. My officemate wrote a News reader in it.
4. A really neat Arexx browser program that can be used to test Arexx ports.
5. Language instruction tools.
6. Games (like Senso).

John Munsch