[comp.sys.amiga] Proposal: COMP.WARS newsgroup

owen@euclid.enet.dec.com (Steve Owen) (07/06/90)

At school we had a conference called 'COMP.WARS' which basicly was the place
where all should go to try to prove that their computer was better than the
next guys.   It was mostly a battle of home computers, so it was IBM vs AMIGA
vs MAC, but anyone was invited.  It was usually a pretty heated battle, but
personal flames were against the rules.

It was nice because it kept the flame wars out of the actual computer
conferences (news groups), and it shed some light on each computer's
capabilities, weakneses and strengths.

What do you all think of having such a news group?  Either comp.wars, or
alt.comp.wars.  As far as I know, there is no such conference now, and I think
it would be fun and interesting to have one.

Discussion?  Pros/Cons etc...  let's hear it!

I think it would be a good idea to keep the discussion for this news group in
NEWS.GROUPS where it belongs, but you can send your ideas to me at
owen@euclid.enet.dec.com.

PLEASE don't send me your opinions about yours or other computers, that's what
the news group will be for, should it become a reality.

Steve | owen@euclid.enet.dec.com (Jul-Dec) or sowen@lynx.northeastern.edu(Jan+)
Owen  | "Reasoning is Partly Insane, Image Just an Eyeless Game"-Neil Peart
==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
Bootleg collectors(U2,CuRE,REM,etc),send me mail! All normal disclaimers apply.

ked01@ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (07/06/90)

In article <13107@shlump.nac.dec.com>, owen@euclid.enet.dec.com (Steve Owen) writes:

> At school we had a conference called 'COMP.WARS' which basicly was the place
>
> What do you all think of having such a news group?  Either comp.wars, or
> alt.comp.wars.  As far as I know, there is no such conference now, and I think
> it would be fun and interesting to have one.

I think it already exists.  It's called alt.religion.computers.  It does
not stop the "wars" that typically are the result of crossposted
questions, or worse crossposted opinions.

Note: followups are directed to news.groups, which is where a discussion
such as *this* belongs.  It does NOT belong crossposted to all the
comp.sys.* groups in sight!

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@uts.amdahl.com   -OR-   ked01@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

news@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (The Daily News) (07/06/90)

i just hope this thing sends my message
I kinda like warz, being a measley 128D user <future Amigan is C= did what IBM is doing in columbia with a loan program. any ideas where I can get $3000 for a dope A2000 system?>
I feel when people argue about "ibm is better" or "mac is better" or "Amiga r00les" the novices like myself can see what each computer can actually do as compared to the others.
i just hate the fact I'm surrounded by mac users here who only use it to play Risk or Tetris or for word processing... or I see those bastardizations of machines known as the Smith Corona.
From: wlj1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Wayne L Jebian)

peace

-Mark Dolengo
<using WLJ's accnt>

jensting@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) (07/06/90)

owen@euclid.enet.dec.com (Steve Owen) writes:

[..]

>What do you all think of having such a news group?  Either comp.wars, or

Great. The typical net.fight.your.computer.stinks.whereas.mine.is.great
is only interseting for the first few postings.. .

[...]

>Discussion?  Pros/Cons etc...  let's hear it!

Perhaps some ot the participants object to losing the attentive audience
provided free of charge by the innocent bystanders... .

	Jens
Jens Tingleff MSc EE, Institute of Computer Science, Copenhagen University
Snail mail: DIKU Universitetsparken 1 DK2100 KBH O
"It never runs around here; it just comes crashing down"
	apologies to  Dire Straits

pete@nyet.UUCP (Pete Hardie) (07/08/90)

In article <13107@shlump.nac.dec.com> owen@euclid.enet.dec.com (Steve Owen) writes:
>What do you all think of having such a news group?  Either comp.wars, or
>alt.comp.wars.  As far as I know, there is no such conference now, and I think
>it would be fun and interesting to have one.

I disagree.  Most folks I know are not going to change their minds about what
they think is the 'best' computer, since almost every opinion is based in some
part on facts about a specialized area that one machine does indeed excel in.

I also think that if this group is favored, it needs to be in the talk
hierarchy, since it _will_ generate more heat than light.

--
Pete Hardie             mail: ...!emory!stiatl!slammer!nyet!pete
"Well, Darkness has a hunger that's insatiable,