[comp.sys.amiga] Puttrax doesn't work.

graham@dolmen.UUCP (James Graham) (07/06/90)

--

Help!!!

I've tried, numerous times, to download the files from KEFRENSVIII and
0NEWSFLASH10 directories at Xanth (182.82.8.1).

The problem is that these files have extensions of .trx.

A utility is included in these directories, called "puttrax", that
supposedly uncompresses these files to floppy.

I have YET to make puttrax work.  I keep getting the error message
that it is not an object module.

The readme file simply says (paraphrased):

     "put a blank disk (can be unformatted) in df0:"
     "type <puttrax filename.ext>"
     "remove disk from df0: and reinsert or perform diskchange"

It's supposedly that simple.

I have not had any download problems before, and have tried this on
numerous occasions.  The bottom line is:

   1.) The instructions in the readme file are not complete and
       something else is needed to use puttrax.

   2.) Puttrax is not an executable module for whatever reason (probably
       corrupt).

I have not seen others mention this problem.

Does someone have a clue?

Thanks!
 ____________________________________
|graham@iucf.bitnet                  |
|graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu       |
|dolmen!graham@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu  |
|The Portal Dolmen BBS (812)334-0418,|
|24 hrs. daily                       |
 ------------------------------------

matthew@cs.ua.oz.au (Matthew Donaldson) (07/07/90)

[Problems with Puttrax not working]

>      2.) Puttrax is not an executable module for whatever reason (probably
>	  corrupt).
>
>   I have not seen others mention this problem.
>
>   Does someone have a clue?

I also have this problem occasionally.  A file I anon-ftp'd from xanth
turns out to not be executable.  This has happened with the 0NEWSFLASH
disk.  Most of the executables in the prog directory, including cebit and coma
are not executable.  Examination of their file structure (using the "whatis"
program) reveleals that hunk 0 of these progris valid, and is generally
a code segment, buf after that there seems to be quite a lot of garbage.
Has anyone else come across this sort of thing?  Does ftp guarantee error-free
transfer?

Also, the vhunt program on that disk crashes my Amiga, and won't run from
the startup-sequence.  Has anyone sucessfully downloaded and booted this
disk?  Has anyone had similar problems?  (I have a PAL amiga, if that makes
any difference).

			Thanks in advance
--
-------
Matthew Donaldson

honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason Tibbitts/The Blob Shop) (07/08/90)

In article <MATTHEW.90Jul7193920@chook.ua.oz.au>, matthew@cs.ua.oz.au (Matthew Donaldson) writes:
> [Problems with Puttrax not working]
>>
>>      2.) Puttrax is not an executable module for whatever reason (probably
>>	  corrupt).
>>
>>   Does someone have a clue?
>
> I also have this problem occasionally.  A file I anon-ftp'd from xanth
> turns out to not be executable.  This has happened with the 0NEWSFLASH
> disk.  Most of the executables in the prog directory, including cebit and coma
> are not executable.  Examination of their file structure (using the "whatis"
> program) reveleals that hunk 0 of these progris valid, and is generally
> a code segment, buf after that there seems to be quite a lot of garbage.
> Has anyone else come across this sort of thing?  Does ftp guarantee error-free
> transfer?

I would assume that Internet has some form of transmission error detection, but
that does not seem to be the source of the problem.

It seems that somewhere in the path from the original senders machine and your
machine something pads the file to occupy an integer number of blocks.  I
believe the culprit here is the VAX I use to access the Internet.

The quick and dirty solution I use is to find the size of the file on Xanth
using an ls -l  (quick note: does anyone have the full documantation of the ls
command when used through FTP?)

Then, once the file is on my home machine, I load up TxED and delete all of
those ASCII zeros from the end of the file until the total length equals that
of the original file on Xanth.

Crazy, but it works for me.  Is there an easier way?

(Of course, the problem will not happen with a compressed file.  Most
compressors don't care about end padding.)

--
\/ Jason L. Tibbitts III     // | THEnet: {George|Jane|Elroy|Judy}::HONP9
/\/"Blob Shop Programmers:  //  | SesquiNet, Telnet, etc: HONP9@JETSON.uh.edu