[comp.sys.amiga] AMAX

a72@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) (06/08/89)

I just purchased a used MAC 800K drive. I am having some kind of problem. I
am using SYSTEM 6.03. Whenever I insert the SYSTEM disk under AMAX startup,
the drive throws it out and displays the "X". What am I doing wrong?????

Please help!

Raman

-  Raman Jeet S. Anand                                             -
-  Vancouver, British Columbia  CO-SYSOP                           -
-  (604) 591-3664               DEEP COVE BBS                      -
-  CIS: 73767,2161              (604) 929-6183/682-6283            -
-  GeNie: R.ANAND               Biggest GIF BBS in Western Canada  -

morris-ng@cup.portal.com (Yuklung Morris Ng) (06/17/89)

In the article Raman Anand says:

>I just purchased a used MAC 800K drive. I am having some kind of problem. I
>am using SYSTEM 6.03. Whenever I insert the SYSTEM disk under AMAX startup,
>the drive throws it out and displays the "X". What am I doing wrong?????

You need to use A-Max format disk on your Amiga Drive and Mac format disk
on Mac drive.  Only MiniTransfer Disk can be use on both. Don't mix them
up!

+---------+----------------------------+----------------------------------+
|      ///| Morris Y. L. Ng            | Usenet: morris-ng@cup.portal.com |
|     /// | Computer Science & Finance | Portal: Yuklung Morris Ng        |
|    ///  | San Jose State University  | Home  : (###)###-#### (Guess?!)  |
|\\\///   +----------------------------+----------------------------------+
| \XX/    |          "Be my Amiga!  And I will be your Amigo!"            |

hbit@PacBell.COM (Henry Bitter) (06/21/89)

In article <312@mindlink.UUCP>, a72@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) writes:

> I just purchased a used MAC 800K drive. I am having some kind of problem. I
> am using SYSTEM 6.03. Whenever I insert the SYSTEM disk under AMAX startup,
> the drive throws it out and displays the "X". What am I doing wrong?????
>
> Please help!
>
> Raman

   This is a "known" problem. Simon (the developer) says there should be
a fix soon. The current system cannot use the tan colored drives at all.
It can only use the newer gray drives with the notches in the top. sorry.

Henry Bitter

* Pacific Bell  *         (415) 823-2836
San Ramon, Calif.
{ }!pacbell!pbhya!hbit

If I had a disclaimer I wouldn't give it away !

gaynor@bat.cis.ohio-state.edu (Vampire) (06/21/89)

>In article <312@mindlink.UUCP>, a72@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) writes:
>>
>> I just purchased a used MAC 800K drive. I am having some kind of problem. I
>> am using SYSTEM 6.03. Whenever I insert the SYSTEM disk under AMAX startup,
>> the drive throws it out and displays the "X". What am I doing wrong?????

	Also, you should NOT be using System 6.0.3.  That was designed to be
used only on the Macintoshes running off a 68030 - namely the SE30, IIcx, and
IIx.  A-Max is the equivalent of a Mac Plus and you should be using System
version 6.0.2.
-=-
|  Jim Gaynor..."The Vampire Lestat"      UseNet: gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu  |
|   The Ohio State University - Instructional and Research Computer Center   |

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (06/22/89)

In article <52582@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Vampire <gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>>In article <312@mindlink.UUCP>, a72@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) writes:
>>>
>>> I just purchased a used MAC 800K drive. I am having some kind of problem. I
>>> am using SYSTEM 6.03. Whenever I insert the SYSTEM disk under AMAX startup,
>>> the drive throws it out and displays the "X". What am I doing wrong?????

the disk isn't a startup disk, which I believe means that it doesn't have a
System on it.)

>	Also, you should NOT be using System 6.0.3.  That was designed to be
>used only on the Macintoshes running off a 68030 - namely the SE30, IIcx, and
>IIx.

	This isn't exactly correct.  Just because you don't need it doesn't
mean you shouldn't use it.  While 6.0.3 has stuff for 68030 machines you
can still use it on other machines; it's just that there's no functional
difference when you use it on the non-68030.  I'm using 6.0.3 on my SE
without any problems -- scratch that:  I have 6.0.2 but I've installed
6.0.3 on another SE (it was shipped with it.)  No problems.

	In general, while incremental versions of Mac system software are
targeted for specific machines they can still be used by most others.  The
major exception of course, are those using the old 64K ROMs.  There is a
reason for this:  it means that you can use that boot disk on more than one
type of Mac since you will have all patches (et al.) you would need.

>A-Max is the equivalent of a Mac Plus and you should be using System
>version 6.0.2.

	System 6.0.3 works just fine on our secretary's Mac plus so
I don't see why it shouldn't work on the A-Max.  I'll let you know when I
get mine.  ;-)

	Just straightening out the information.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

---
In capitalism, man exploits man.
In communism, it's the other way around.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza         GEnie:jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET         Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu

>gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu

morris-ng@cup.portal.com (Yuklung Morris Ng) (06/23/89)

A-Max should work on System v6.0.3!

Every Mac Plus is now ship with 6.0.3 so it should work perfectly on A-Max.
Anyway, I will try it out soon.

+---------+----------------------------+----------------------------------+
|      ///| Morris Y. L. Ng            | Usenet: morris-ng@cup.portal.com |
|     /// | Computer Science & Finance | Portal: Yuklung Morris Ng        |
|    ///  | San Jose State University  | Home  : (###)###-#### (Guess?!)  |
|\\\///   +----------------------------+----------------------------------+
| \XX/    |          "Be my Amiga!  And I will be your Amigo!"            |
+---------+---------------------------------------------------------------+

chrisd@oregon.uoregon.edu (07/21/89)

Amax Unit - barely used (about 3-4 times) complete with manual, and including
Macintosh 128K ROM chips (sorry, no MacDrive).  Needs to go fast - bills to pay.

$275 firm.  You pay shipping.

krag@cup.portal.com (Kevin Ray Grotjohn) (09/13/89)

AMAX system for sale.

AMAX cartridge, Software, Genuine 128K Apple ROMS
Cutting Edge Macintosh compatible 800K drive

This retails for $700.  I have lowered my priced to $395
Get inon a great deal.

Kevin R. Grotjohn
(408)-248-2607
(408)-432-3000x1483
krag@cup.portal.com

geoffrey.birt@canremote.uucp (GEOFFREY BIRT) (09/17/89)

  I head so many different things about this program that i think I'm
going to kill the next person. Here is the question: "Do you or do you
not need a Mac drive to use AMax?" Some say yes because you need it to
format a disk.
  Well anyway can some body please help me!!

Geoffrey Birt
3100 Kingston Rd. #42
Scarbrough ONT. CANADA
M1M 3T4

---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1aR

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (09/18/89)

In article <89091711024424@masnet.uucp> geoffrey.birt@canremote.uucp (GEOFFREY BIRT) writes:
-
-  I head so many different things about this program that i think I'm
-going to kill the next person. Here is the question: "Do you or do you
-not need a Mac drive to use AMax?" Some say yes because you need it to
-format a disk.
-  Well anyway can some body please help me!!
-
-Geoffrey Birt
-3100 Kingston Rd. #42
-Scarbrough ONT. CANADA
-M1M 3T4

No, You don't need a Mac drive to use A-Max, but You need a Mac
drive for A-Max to be useful...

If You don't have a Mac drive You need a friend with a Mac who
copies his disks to special "transfer disks" You can read in
your Amiga. You need three transfer disks for each Mac disk, due
to the fact that Amiga drives may only read certain tracks of Mac
disks which are recorded at the same rotation speed as the Amiga
drive uses. (Mac drives have variable rotation speed, to be able
to squeeze in 800K instead of the normal 880K :-)

Without a Mac drive You will not be able to borrow a copy-
protected program and run it on A-Max.

Tommy Petersson
tope@enea.se

douglee@becker.UUCP (Doug Lee) (09/20/89)

In article <89091711024424@masnet.uucp> geoffrey.birt@canremote.uucp (GEOFFREY BIRT) writes:

>Here is the question: "Do you or do you
>not need a Mac drive to use AMax?" Some say yes because you need it to
>format a disk.

No you do NOT need a Macintosh disk drive to use Amax. You do need it if you
want to read NATIVE Macintosh disks. There is software provided to read and
write one third of a disk (just the centre tracks) such that the disk can
be used on a real Mac, using Amax provided utilities and on the Amiga. If you
BORROW a Mac drive, you can connect it and diskcopy real Mac disks to a full
disk format unique to Amax using the amiga's drives as the destination.
This would allow you to make Amiga readable copies of system disks etc.
You could then download PD stuff with a modem and have many hours of happy
computing without having to read a real mac disk. Of course if you want to use
commercial software, you will either need the Mac drive to read it or access
to a Mac which you can use to copy stuff a third of a disk at a time.
	<<<Doug>>>

--
Doug Lee
douglee@becker

mark@xrtll.UUCP (Mark Vange) (09/22/89)

In article <89091711024424@masnet.uucp>, geoffrey.birt@canremote.uucp (GEOFFREY BIRT) writes:

>   I head so many different things about this program that i think I'm
> going to kill the next person. Here is the question: "Do you or do you
> not need a Mac drive to use AMax?" Some say yes because you need it to
> format a disk.

Well, you DO NOT NEED a MAC drive to operate A-Max.  It will function just
fine by using your Amiga floppy drives in a pseudo-magicsac format.  In
fact, the emulator will quite happily read magicsac disks (though it will
not go the other way!)

The problem is that Mac drives spin at three different speeds (depending on
the track the head is currently on) and only one of those speeds produces
anything near readable data on the Amiga.

So, if you want to be able to easily read real MAC drives, you will need to
buy a Mac external disk drive.  However, if you have access to a Mac, you
can easily transfer software between the Mac and the Amiga.

I leave the question of piracy-related discussions as an excersize for the
reader.  If you transfer a program from a MAC disk to an AMax disk, are you
not pirating?  You be the judge...

--
Mark Vange				Phone Death Threats to:
PAS Systems - "Plain and Simple"	(416) 730-1352  mark@xrtll

iddos@TAURUS.BITNET (09/23/89)

In article <294@enea.se> tope@helios.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:

>If You don't have a Mac drive You need a friend with a Mac who
>copies his disks to special "transfer disks" You can read in
>your Amiga.

Does the "Mac-2-Weird" program which should run on the Mac comes
standard with A-MAX?
Is there a similiar "Wierd-2-Mac" transfer program which runs on the
Amiga, so you can copy stuff to Mac (maybe your Mac buddy has
a Linotronic hooked up to his machin, and is willing to go head
over heels to get your P-Draw output into it)?

| Ido (The Id) Amin                                 iddos@taurus.BITNET |
+---------- Is the virtual memory of a unicorn a physical device? ------+

trolfs@vax1.tcd.ie (Tommy) (09/23/89)

In article <354@xrtll.UUCP>, mark@xrtll.UUCP (Mark Vange) writes:

> I leave the question of piracy-related discussions as an excersize for the
> reader.  If you transfer a program from a MAC disk to an AMax disk, are you
> not pirating?  You be the judge...

    Which brings me to the questoin, don't Apple mind that their COMPUTER
    is being pirated?

--
 Tommy                                       E-mail: trolfs@vax1.tcd.ie
                   //  Amiga 500.

sn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steve Neas) (09/25/89)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.amiga: 23-Sep-89 Re: AMax
Tommy@vax1.tcd.ie (708)

   > Which brings me to the questoin, don't Apple mind that their
COMPUTER
   > is being pirated?

Apple does mind somewhat, and they occasionally try to stop or slow the
sales of their ROMs.
Which means you should check out the current prices a little bit before
buying them, since the prices fluctuate a lot.  I've also seen an entire
compatible computer for the Apple 2.  I don't know what Apple would have
thought of that one.

					- Steve -

jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) (09/25/89)

In article <2309@vax1.tcd.ie> trolfs@vax1.tcd.ie (Tommy) writes:
>In article <354@xrtll.UUCP>, mark@xrtll.UUCP (Mark Vange) writes:
>>
>> I leave the question of piracy-related discussions as an excersize for the
>> reader.  If you transfer a program from a MAC disk to an AMax disk, are you
>> not pirating?  You be the judge...

No, you're not.  This comes under the heading of "backup", if nothing else.
Since you are not giving copies of the software away, you are still the
single end-user of the software and have not violated any agreements.
Otherwise, it would be illegal to put software on hard disks.

>    Which brings me to the questoin, don't Apple mind that their COMPUTER
>    is being pirated?

Now THIS is silly.  In the Amax system as sold by Readysoft, there is NOTHING
with an Apple copyright in it, or anything that even imitates anything made by
Apple.  Anything that may have an Apple copyright (Apple ROMS, System software)
you buy OUTSIDE of Amax.  From Apple-registered dealers, mostly, but you
still BUY it from somebody other than Amax.  The only real beef anyone
has about this is Readysoft, really, since the Amax box is absurdly easy
to copy.  In fact, MAST has already done it.

Apple actually considered such a suit against Readysoft, and decided not to.
They couldn't win it, and the HP suit had cost them too much already.

>--
> Tommy                                       E-mail: trolfs@vax1.tcd.ie
>                   //  Amiga 500.
>                \\//     What's your's called?         $P-)
>-----------------\X-----------------------------------------------------
>"Luke, I'm yer father, eh.  Come over to the dark side, you hoser."
>-- Dave Thomas, "Strange Brew"

John

nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) (09/25/89)

In article <gZ7Ix0O00UiW468FEF@andrew.cmu.edu> sn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steve Neas) writes:
>I've also seen an entire
>compatible computer for the Apple 2.  I don't know what Apple would have
>thought of that one.

Well, as I recall, Apple nearly forced Franklin Computer out of business for
just that reason.  Franklin seems to have survived (for now, at least)
producing little hand-held thingies.

How come no one's lining up to clone Amigas?  ;-)

    ________________    __________________    ____________________________
////                \\//                  \\//                            \\\\
\\\\ Neil Weinstock //\\ att!cord!nsw  or //\\ "Oh dear, now I shall have ////
//// AT&T Bell Labs \\// nsw@cord.att.com \\//  to create more Martians." \\\\
\\\\________________//\\__________________//\\____________________________////

pete@i-core.UUCP (Pete) (09/26/89)

>> I leave the question of piracy-related discussions as an excersize for the
>> reader.  If you transfer a program from a MAC disk to an AMax disk, are you
>> not pirating?  You be the judge...
>>

>    Which brings me to the questoin, don't Apple mind that their COMPUTER
>    is being pirated?

Technically, there is nothing Apple can do, since A-Max requires the use of
original Mac ROMs.  That is, you must go and take some ROMs out of a Macintosh
and place them in the A-Max hardware.  A portable Mac is using the same
technique with a cable back to the original Mac, so you can take your Mac with
you, then come home and still use the one you've got.  Apple's only legal
defense is on the ROMs.  However, they probably do take offense to a program
called MacROM that is circulating that allows you to bypass this requirement
(of course, YOU'VE still got to get an original set of ROMs to read in the
disk file, anything else is illegal).  Which brings me to the question, if you
didn't realize it needed original Mac ROMs, then what are you using? :-)
--
(^\__/^)    pete@i-core.uucp  uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core
/ . .  \  <=== BEWARE!  The Snugglesoft Bear!

mark@xrtll.UUCP (Mark Vange) (10/02/89)

In article <2309@vax1.tcd.ie>, trolfs@vax1.tcd.ie (Tommy) writes:
>     Which brings me to the questoin, don't Apple mind that their COMPUTER
>     is being pirated?

Actually, AMax is not pirating the MAC because it requires a set of Mac ROMS
which are, incidentally, not included with the software package.  As such,
there is not real violation of any Apple copyrights or any such things.  You
could, I suppose argue that they have emulated their architecture, but
because the mediums are so different (software vs. hardware and a different
set of chips to boot!) I doubt they could make that stick.  The best they
could do is restrict the sale of their ROMs through their dealers.  So far,
however, I haven't seen Apple react at all.

In the grander scheme, there probably aren't enough AMax out there to make
it worth their while.  It gives their developers a greater base of exposure
and allows potential revenue from a market segment which has been previously
unreachable to them (because they sported the wrong hardware).  All in all,
I can't see them losing much.

--

pfr654@csc.anu.oz (10/03/89)

In article <89091711024424@masnet.uucp>, geoffrey.birt@canremote.uucp (GEOFFREY BIRT) writes:
>   I head so many different things about this program that i think I'm
> going to kill the next person. Here is the question: "Do you or do you
> not need a Mac drive to use AMax?" Some say yes because you need it to
> format a disk.
>   Well anyway can some body please help me!!
>
> Geoffrey Birt
> 3100 Kingston Rd. #42
> Scarbrough ONT. CANADA
> M1M 3T4
>

> ---
>  * Via ProDoor 3.1aR

No, you don't need a Mac drive to run Amax. Its just that the Amiga disk format
is different from the Mac disk format, such that you can't just swap the disks
from a Mac to the Amax and use it. However, if you have access to a Mac drive,
it can be connected to the Amax, then the disk can be copied from the Mac
format to the Amax format disk in the internal drive, and then the Mac disk
does not need to be used any more. Alternatively, you could download all of the
Mac stuff you were planning to use from bulletin boards etc and load them
directly onto the Amax disks. The Amax = a Macintosh with a different disk
drive, and therefor different drive format.

Hope this helps.
Phil Ryan
Australian National University
pfr654@csc.anu.oz

echarne@orion.oac.uci.edu (Eli B. Charne) (11/14/89)

	I bought amax a while ago, but just tried my first Mac-Amiga
  transfer this weekend, and couldn't get it to work.

	At school we have a Mac hooked up to ethernet, so I downloaded some
  .zoo files (bkdc entries :) to the Mac.  But when I tried to use
  Amax's file-transfer program, it wouldn't recognize the existence of
  the .zoo files

			      Anyone ever try this?

				     -Eli

--
Bitnet: zebcharne@uci.bitnet
Internet: echarne@orion.cf.uci.edu

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (11/18/89)

In article <3651@orion.cf.uci.edu> echarne@orion.oac.uci.edu (Eli B. Charne)
writes:

>       I bought amax a while ago, but just tried my first Mac-Amiga
> transfer this weekend, and couldn't get it to work.
>
>       At school we have a Mac hooked up to ethernet, so I downloaded some
> .zoo files (bkdc entries :) to the Mac.  But when I tried to use
> Amax's file-transfer program, it wouldn't recognize the existence of
> the .zoo files
>

>                             Anyone ever try this?

     (Quoting the gum commercial) I do, I do! :-)  And I get exactly the
same problem.  I have never gotten the Mac's somewhat brain-dead file
requester to recognize anything other than folders (i.e. directories)
on any disk.  Files do not exist as far as it's concerned.

     I've written a letter to ReadySoft mentioning the problem, and
criticizing the ugliness of the file transfer process in general. Since
I've also included some money and an order for their extension cable,
maybe they'll be nice enough to answer.  A-Max really is a well-built
product except for the file transfer programs, and the Mac's operating
system itself (which isn't their fault).

     If anyone is interested, I can post whatever results I get.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
"Using an IBM PC is like juggling straight razors.
 Using a Mac is like shaving with a bowling pin."
        -- Ted Nelson, Computer Lib

news@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (news) (06/18/90)

Does anyone know if AMAX will work on the A3000?

gsgi_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Gregory Gibson) (07/08/90)

What the latest info on it second release...

e-mail replies please.

I appreciate the time it takes to respond...

--

Gregory Gibson
gsgi_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu or  gsgi_ltd@uordbv.bitnet