[comp.sys.amiga] Trouble with Atalk III and vn

deh@ndmath.UUCP (David Hurtubise) (07/04/90)

Has anyone ever noticed this?

When I log onto our university's Sun computer using Atalk III
and read the news everything works fine until I resize the window
or change fonts.  Then the vn program on the Sun will not recognize
the arrow keys on my amiga.  I have to use return, j, k etc. to move
the cursor around.

The exact procedure I am using:

1. I log on the sun and type setenv TERM vt100
   (My terminal type for Atalk II is also set to vt100.)

2. I enter vn.

3. I read the news for a while with everything working fine.

4. I use my amiga's mouse to resize the window on my amiga.

5. The vn program no longer recognizes the arrow keys on my
   keyboard.

??????

David Hurtubise
Math Department
University of Notre Dame
deh@sanger.chem.nd.edu
( or deh@ndmath.math.nd.edu, but the first is more reliable.)

In article <1892@ndmath.UUCP> deh@ndmath.UUCP (David Hurtubise) writes:
>When I log onto our university's Sun computer using Atalk III
>and read the news everything works fine until I resize the window
					       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>or change fonts.  Then the vn program on the Sun will not recognize
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>the arrow keys on my amiga.  I have to use return, j, k etc. to move
>the cursor around.

When you resize the window or change fonts, A-Talk III recomputes the
no. of rows and no. of colums and RESETs the vt100 emulation to the initial
state.  Vn will no longer recognize the arrow keys, since that is not
the initial VT100 state.  Vn will send the appropriate sequence to put the
keypad and arrow keys in the correct modes at start-up only.  Most other
UNIX programs (like vi, for example) will do the same.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (07/09/90)

In article <25695@usc.edu>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) says:

>In article <1892@ndmath.UUCP> deh@ndmath.UUCP (David Hurtubise) writes:
>>When I log onto our university's Sun computer using Atalk III
>>and read the news everything works fine until I resize the window
>                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>or change fonts.  Then the vn program on the Sun will not recognize
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>the arrow keys on my amiga.  I have to use return, j, k etc. to move
>>the cursor around.
>
>When you resize the window or change fonts, A-Talk III recomputes the
>no. of rows and no. of colums and RESETs the vt100 emulation to the initial
>state.  Vn will no longer recognize the arrow keys, since that is not
>the initial VT100 state.  Vn will send the appropriate sequence to put the
>keypad and arrow keys in the correct modes at start-up only.  Most other
>UNIX programs (like vi, for example) will do the same.
>
>-- Marco

I've got exactly the same problem with ATalk-III when using it on the
Penn State mainframe (VM/CMS).  If I touch ANYTHING in the ATalk-III
menus, none of the function keys, PF keys, or cursors will work right
anymore.

I understand Doc's explanation, but is there no solution??  I've already
learned not to mess with it, but sometimes it is necessary, and I find
it really annoying to have to log off, make the change, then save
the configuration, quit, reload, and relog on.

If there is no solution, I may be changing term programs....

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||