[comp.sys.amiga] Computability

aguada@athena.mit.edu (Carlos Acevedo) (01/13/89)

I am in the market for an Amiga system. I am interested in the A2500 with
a Sony multisync and a Flicker Fixer. After calling several places I have
found that ComputAbility has the best prices (A2500 - $3399 delivered!) of all
advertised dealers. Making such a big transaction over the phone makes me
quite nervous considering my limited experience with mail orders. Most
likely I will guive a deposit through my credit card and pay the balance
as COD (this was suggested by them). I would like to hear from people who have
done bussiness with Computability. Are they reputable? If not, who should I
by from? (The next best price is $300 higher - Go Amigo). Any general advice
on how to mail order will be greatly appreciated.

                                        Thanks for your help,
                                        Carlos.
                                        aguada@athena.mit.edu

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (01/17/89)

In article <8749@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> aguada@athena.mit.edu (Carlos Acevedo) writes:

>I would like to hear from people who have
>done bussiness with Computability. Are they reputable?
>
>                                        Thanks for your help,
>                                        Carlos.
>                                        aguada@athena.mit.edu
I recently ordered stuff from Computability. The guy I spoke with on the
phone actually has an Amiga, so is sypathetic with customers. He wasn't
familiar with the software I ordered, ("quarterback" since he didn't have
a harddisk) so he had me repeat my order to ensure he got it correct, and
automatically checked to see if it was in stock. I got it in less then
2 weeks, and expect to be doing more business with them.

At about the same time I placed an order with BriWall. They deal with
IBM and apple software besides Amiga, so the order taker wasn't familar
with the Amiga market. I had to explain to her what GOMF stood for.
All 4 items were not in stock, and came in over a period of 2 months.
However, they did not bill by Visa until the items were actually shipped.

--
			          *** mike smithwick ***
"The great thing about standards is that there are so many of them!"

[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]

C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) (05/15/89)

In Message-ID: <3148@uokmax.UUCP>  russ@uokmax.UUCP (Random J Nightfall) says:

>I ordered my Amiga 500 w/ 1084S monitor from ComputAbility.  Not only was
>the price quite satisfactory ($849 new), the setup made it from there to
>Oklahoma in 4 days instead of the projected 7 to 10 ... which means they
>_must_ have sent it out immediately.

 On my LAST order from Computability I checked the shipping dates.  It took 2
 days.  Since I'm in central Missouri it should take 3 days to reach Oklaholma.
 In my opinion if it's in stock it d*mn well ought to be sent out immediately
or the next day at the latest.  7 to 10 days is absurd assuming that you ordere
d by phone.  It only takes UPS 4 days to reach either coast from here.

 Computability IS reliable.  If you don't mind the wait they will get it to you
 .   But they are very slow.  A credit card order by phone should not take more
 than 4 days unless you are going coast to coast.

Another beaf I have about Computability is that the operators do not have termi
nals.  They cannot tell you if a particular item is in stock or if something
has shipped.  For THAT you need to call their NONtollfree information number.

My personal favorite is Sprite Technology.  Very reliable and my last order got
 here in 3 days.  Not too shabby comming from Texas.

Bitnet:    C506634@umcvmb.bitnet                    __________________________
Internet:  C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu             / \.--------.           /  \
"The Amiga just isn't reliable enough unless you   |  | Eric   |---------+    |
know a lot about the machine" -- Jerry Pournelle   |  `--------'         !    |
  ================================================||  .--------.         !    |
"I did notice that at my party people stood in     |  | Edwards|_________+    |
 line to play with the Amiga"-- Jerry Pournelle    | /`--------'             |
                           BYTE, October '88       \__________________________/

sutela@utu.fi (Kari Sutela) (06/26/90)

In article <2215@mindlink.UUCP> a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) writes:

>are competitive, but so far, the only people here who have received good
>service from Computability, has been Americans...my case might be an
>unfortunate incident, arising from their lack of experience in shipping orders
>to Canada.

Well, I have always received good service from ComputAbility and I live in
Finland. I have received every order in less than two weeks. Couldn't be much
faster as it takes between one and two weeks for airmail to cross the Atlantic.
I doubt that they would have any problems in international shippings.

Kari Sutela	sutela@polaris.utu.fi

a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) (07/09/90)

> sutela@utu.fi (Kari Sutela) writes:
> In article <2215@mindlink.UUCP> a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) writes:
>
> >are competitive, but so far, the only people here who have received good
> >service from Computability, has been Americans...my case might be an
> >unfortunate incident, arising from their lack of experience in shipping
> orders
> >to Canada.
>
> Well, I have always received good service from ComputAbility and I live in
> Finland. I have received every order in less than two weeks. Couldn't be much
> faster as it takes between one and two weeks for airmail to cross the
> Atlantic.
> I doubt that they would have any problems in international shippings.

Gee, didn't I post that 2 weeks ago ?  Anyways, since then, I've contacted VISA
in order to get a *FULL* refund (goods + shipping costs)...which I am entitled
to, having NEVER received my order.

So make that "..., has been NON-CANADIAN...".  PS, my parcel was sent snail
mail (3 weeks as estimated by Canada Post).  So far, no CANADIAN has reported
having recevied "good service" from them.  I think my comments still stand.
And I hardly think the 4 or 5 posters who have received "good service" is a
FAIR representative sample of the hundreds (thousands...millions?) who deal
with Computability, so that they can stay in business.  BTW, I got two
different explanations from their customer service reps, when they checked into
my order...one put me on hold for 8 minutes...the other waited a week to fax a
reply--I didn't receive "good service" :(