[comp.sys.amiga] CD-ROM and the Amiga

stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) (06/28/90)

With all of the articles in magazines and the net about C='s CDTV
product, I am still unclear about one important point:

Currently there are many CD-ROM databases available.  As I write this
I am looking at an ad for a CD-ROM containing climate information for
the US and the world.  The ad says there is 250K pages (and many decades)
of data on this CD-ROM.  The CD-ROM comes with access software for the
IBM-PC :(

So, will the new C= product (or a subset of it) allow me to buy and
use this (and other available data bases) on my A-2500?  Or, will
the CD-ROMs the CDTV product uses be in ..yet another.. format that
makes existing databases inaccessible to my Amiga?  Do I need to make
my Amiga look like an IBM to use existing (or soon-to-be-available
[which means in six  to twelve months] ) CD-ROM readers?

Mail or net responses welcome.....

Steve Masters   stevem@hal.CSS.GOV
ENSCO, Inc.
Melbourne, FL  32940
407 254 4122

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (06/30/90)

That, and many of the other databases on CD-ROM, are more than likely MS-DOS
format...let's get real here, it's just like software.

You can't just put in an MS-DOS 3.5" disk in an Amiga and have it work, just
like you won't be able to use their CDs.

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) (06/30/90)

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>That, and many of the other databases on CD-ROM, are more than likely MS-DOS
>format...let's get real here, it's just like software.
>
>You can't just put in an MS-DOS 3.5" disk in an Amiga and have it work, just
>like you won't be able to use their CDs.

I'm not talking about software (binary) compatibility, but the ability
to read DATA.  In fact, my Amiga CAN read IBM MS-DOS 3.5" disks by using
Cross-Dos.  I guess what I am asking for is not that C= necessarily use
the existing formats for their products, but I can use their hardware
and software to read the large number of CD-ROMs already out there and
the many more appearing all of the time.  As a scientist excited about
the potential of CD-ROMs storage capacity combined with the power of
my Amiga, I hope C= will not force me to make my Amiga look like an
IBM-PC to take advantage of this resource.

So, my question again is:  my IBM/Mac friends can already use these
powerful tools...when will I be able to??

Steve Masters    stevem@hal.CSS.GOV
Ensco, Inc.
Melbourne, FL  32940
(407) 254 4122

ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) (07/01/90)

Train of the topic - Can the new Amiga CDTV use currently existing
CD ROMs, in terms of accessing their data?

In article <441@hal.CSS.GOV>, stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) writes:
> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

> >That, and many of the other databases on CD-ROM, are more than likely MS-DOS
> >format...let's get real here, it's just like software.
> >
> >You can't just put in an MS-DOS 3.5" disk in an Amiga and have it work, just
> >like you won't be able to use their CDs.
> >
> I'm not talking about software (binary) compatibility, but the ability
> to read DATA.  In fact, my Amiga CAN read IBM MS-DOS 3.5" disks by using
> Cross-Dos.  I guess what I am asking for is not that C= necessarily use
> the existing formats for their products, but I can use their hardware
> and software to read the large number of CD-ROMs already out there and
> the many more appearing all of the time.  As a scientist excited about
> the potential of CD-ROMs storage capacity combined with the power of
> my Amiga, I hope C= will not force me to make my Amiga look like an
> IBM-PC to take advantage of this resource.

First, we're talking about the Amiga already, when the only "announced"
CD ROM product is the CDTV.  So, although we all expect a CD ROM drive
for the Amiga soon, it's not out yet.

Second, in terms of reading CD ROMs, there are several variables
involved.

A)  What is the format of the Mac or PC CD ROM?  If it is ISO 9660,
then it should be readable by the CDTV.  If it's just a straight
Mac or PC data format, well, it's not transferrable anyways.

B)  Are there images as well as numbers and ASCII text?  Well,
if it's a Mac-specific or PC-specific format, then any attempts
at conversion will slow things down (and possibly look bizarre too.)
(If it's not anybody's particular format, then I guess we'll all
slow down equally for conversion ;^).)

C)  Do you need particular software to access the data?  Or
do you want to use pre-developed software?  Can you write the
software yourself?

D)  All of this assumes that the CD ROM hooks being developed
for CDTV will eventually be brought into the Amiga's OS...

E)  Well sure the CDTV can play audio CDs.  And those goofy
ones with the pictures, too.  Why would audio CDs have any
compatibility problems?

The CD ROM issue now seems to be that graphics are still an
item in flux.  (CD ROM XA has been introduced, but I don't
know if it's being adopted.)  But data?  ISO 9660 (which _is_
or is somehow related to "High Sierra") seems to be a
standard that's being used, and it can be read by CDTV.

The real "can we read them" tests will be when we get the
hooks in the OS to read the drives.  Then we can hope that
the hooks will be clever enough that software to read the
disks will soon come out (one vote here for good AmigaVision
hooks!  Rah!)
--
Robin LaPasha              |Keeper of the Amiga

mk59200@metso.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) (07/02/90)

In article <1990Jul1.150251.891@uncecs.edu> ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) writes:
>The real "can we read them" tests will be when we get the
>hooks in the OS to read the drives.  Then we can hope that
>the hooks will be clever enough that software to read the
>disks will soon come out (one vote here for good AmigaVision
>hooks!  Rah!)

What "hooks" do you mean?  There is the SCSI-direct protocol to send arbitrary
SCSI commands, and the SCSI command set for CD-ROMs is defined in the
SCSI-II draft standard.  And the Amiga has installable file systems.
These two provide all the hooks necessary to use CD-ROMs, all you need
is a ISO-9660 compatible filing system that sends commands using any
compatible SCSI adapter.

--
	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@tut.fi

In article <441@hal.CSS.GOV> stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) writes:
>seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>>You can't just put in an MS-DOS 3.5" disk in an Amiga and have it work, just
>>like you won't be able to use their CDs.
>>
>I'm not talking about software (binary) compatibility, but the ability
>to read DATA.  In fact, my Amiga CAN read IBM MS-DOS 3.5" disks by using
>Cross-Dos.  I guess what I am asking for is not that C= necessarily use
>the existing formats for their products, but I can use their hardware
>and software to read the large number of CD-ROMs already out there and
>the many more appearing all of the time.

Sorry, I fear you miss one point. On those CD-ROMs you don't get pure
data, but database files together with database software to search
through this data. And every CD-ROM has it's own database organisation
and retrieval software. There is no widespread standard yet.
In the moment there are CD-ROMs with PC and Mac software on them.
We would need them doing a port of their software to the Amiga. But I
think Commodore USA is just about this and is trying hard.
I agree that it would be a minor effort to access the PC-like filesystem
of such a CD-ROM disk, in fact that should be manageable. But as I said,
this is not already the whole job.

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

chymes@fribourg.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) (07/02/90)

In article <3347@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>That, and many of the other databases on CD-ROM, are more than likely MS-DOS
>format...let's get real here, it's just like software.
>
>You can't just put in an MS-DOS 3.5" disk in an Amiga and have it work, just
>like you won't be able to use their CDs.
>
>Sean

According to the Dude who was speaking at the CDTV seminar at AmiExbo
in Chicago, ( I dont know his name be he wrote Maxiplan and is a major
CDTV developer) CDTV will support the hundreds of existing CD Roms
already produced for existing platforms, including the IBM PC. Thats
what he said, and it makes sense. All that it takes to use thhose
existing databases is to know the format that they are stored on. And,
by the way, you CAN just put MS DOS data disks into an Amiga and use
them, I do it all the time. Sence I have a filesystem that knows the
format of MSDOS disks mounted, I can read and write MS-DOS disks just
as I can AmigaDos disks. It will be the same for CD rom.

Charlweed Hymerfan.

arxt@midway.uchicago.edu (patrick palmer) (07/03/90)

In article <249@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>In article <441@hal.CSS.GOV> stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) writes:
>>seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>>>You can't just put in an MS-DOS 3.5" disk in an Amiga and have it work, just
>>I'm not talking about software (binary) compatibility, but the ability
>>to read DATA.  In fact, my Amiga CAN read IBM MS-DOS 3.5" disks by using
>Sorry, I fear you miss one point. On those CD-ROMs you don't get pure
>data, but database files together with database software to search

(Sorry to chop so much above, but our mailer demands I do that or write more.)

NASA for one is putting out more and more databases on CD-ROM.  They
are free, and NASA distributes free software to access them.  The ones
I have seen are for Mac's.  So, you can already get interesting and
useful CD-ROM's and free software.  To use on an Amiga, you just need
to port the software, and BE ABLE TO READ THE CD-ROM DISKS.

Pat Palmer (email: reply or ppalmer@oddjob.uchicago.edu)

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (07/03/90)

peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>I agree that it would be a minor effort to access the PC-like filesystem
>of such a CD-ROM disk, in fact that should be manageable. But as I said,
>this is not already the whole job.

Most CDs have an ISO standard file system on them. This way, you can read
files and directories and whatever on any kind of computer. There are
ISO drivers for the ST, PC and Mac PC CD-ROM drives. You are right,
however, in pointing out that the contents of the files on those CDs
are completely application-dependent. But it's very easy to read
standard ASCII files from a CD-ROM.

By the way: The ISO standard file system for CD-ROMs is not "PC-like".
It has elements of VMS, Unix and PC file systems, but is incompatible
with anyone of these.

>--
>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (07/09/90)

In article <3347@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>That, and many of the other databases on CD-ROM, are more than likely MS-DOS
>format...let's get real here, it's just like software.

Yes, but..

At this point in time CD-ROM has been in the IBM & Mac marketplaces
for 2-3 years while the Amiga market hasn't had 'em.  That makes those
products enough of a standard such that the Amiga market must deal with
it in some way ...

Steve mentioned the climatalogical data.  I'm interested in the OED.
(er.. Oxford English Dictionary .. )  The people providing either one
of those are providing to a limited audience and assumably have little
reason to arrange something to satisfy a few weirdos who insist on
using good computers.

At any rate, the _Amazing_Amiga_ article mentioned an ISO spec for the
format on the disk.  Since I don't know ISO numbers (other than the ones
for electronic mail) I don't know if that ISO number refers to the standard
CD-ROM format or not.
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>