From: gutierre@nsipo.nasa.gov
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 90 20:12:51 -0700
To: mdk@hpctdjj.hp.com (Mark Keisling)
Subject: Re: Seek Genlock Recommendations

|> My church is about to purchase a genlock for our Amiga 2000.  We'll be
|> connecting it to a Grass Valley Model 100 switcher and prefer to use the
|> downstream keyer in the switcher.  We do a weekly live broadcast so quality
|> is important to us.  S-Video inputs and outputs aren't necessary.

I can't remember how old the GVG 100's are.  About 5 years old???

|> We're currently considering the Magni 4004, the Omicron Video Omni-Gen 701,
|> and the Digital Creations SuperGen.  I seek the collective wisdom of the
|> net.  Recommendations?

The Magni is the only one with S/C Phase adjustments.  The Omni-Gen has
sync timing adjustments.  The Super-Gen has NO adjustments at all!  I could
be wrong about the Omni-Gen, so I'd check into it, especially if you're
going to use it as a D/S keyer (best way).

|> Also, any recommendations on titling software would be welcome.

The only titler that has the best resolution is 'Broadcast Titler'.  It
mimics 35ns res ("mimics" is the best way to describe it, since it takes
over the graphics chip to do double-scan interlace, more or less).  The
other titling programs only do 70ns res (640x480), and if you do broadcast
or any 1-inch work, it will be noticable.  This is especially true
with 'Pro Video Plus/Gold', 'TV Titler', etc.

I currently use Broadcast Titler, and the most noticable problem you will
have with it (or any other Amiga titlers) is when you bang the next page
(change pages), it could take anywhere from 200ms to as long as 4 seconds!!!
It depends entirely on how graphic the next page is.  It tries to get around
this by double-buffering the next page, but if you have a loaded page, and
the next page is just as bad, it could be ~4 seconds before it's ready to
bang.  Not too much of a problem in post...but bad news on live productions.

I do subtitling, and this was a _big_ problem for me since
1) I do full-text translations, which means ~600 titles/hr, and 2) Some
titles last all of 500-750ms onscreen.  I do use Broadcast Titler to set
the titles, but I display the titles outside of the program (in an
animation file), which allows me to bang titles at the refresh rate
if I wanted to (30 titles/second).  But saving them in an anim file
makes me use the standard resolution, which is 70ns.  Not too much of
a problem for me since the final media for the tapes is VHS anyway.

My setup:  Amiga 2000 (7 megs ram, Syquest HD, 2090A controller), Super-Gen,
	   Hotronic AF-71 TBC, JVC BR-S810U S-VHS editor, laserdisc (a
	   consumer Pioneer LD-S1).

|> Thanks in advance.

No problem.

   Robert Gutierrez
   Office of Space Science and Applications,
   NASA Science Internet Project - Network Operations Center.
   Moffett Feild, California.