[comp.sys.amiga] Cursor and keypad keys in A-Talk III

In article <90189.163902JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>In article <25695@usc.edu>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) says:
>>When you resize the window or change fonts, A-Talk III recomputes the
>>no. of rows and no. of colums and RESETs the vt100 emulation to the initial
>>state.  Vn will no longer recognize the arrow keys, since that is not
>>the initial VT100 state.  Vn will send the appropriate sequence to put the
>>keypad and arrow keys in the correct modes at start-up only.  Most other
>>UNIX programs (like vi, for example) will do the same.
>
>I've got exactly the same problem with ATalk-III when using it on the
>Penn State mainframe (VM/CMS).  If I touch ANYTHING in the ATalk-III
>menus, none of the function keys, PF keys, or cursors will work right
>anymore.
>I understand Doc's explanation, but is there no solution??

Well, you don't seem to understand. You say, "If I touch ANYTHING in the
A-Talk III menus .. none of .... will work right". This is FALSE. The cursor
and keypad keys are reset in ONLY TWO conditions:  change font and resize the
window (and change the terminal type if you wish :-)  None of the other menu
selections has any effect on the cursor and keypad keys.  Of course, logging
into a system from the Phonebook will also reinitialize the terminal to
the RESET condition of whatever terminal you've chosen (VT100, VT52, H19, etc.)

> I've already
>learned not to mess with it, but sometimes it is necessary, and I find
>it really annoying to have to log off, make the change, then save
>the configuration, quit, reload, and relog

Note that the keypad and cursor key STATUS are NOT saved when you save
a phonebook entry. This is exactly like on a REAL VT100, which will start
in its RESET mode when is powered up.  There are quite a number of programs
that ASSUME that a VT100 is set up in such a way.

>If there is no solution, I may be changing term programs....

Good luck at finding another terminal program that does dynamic-VT100
emulation in a Workbench Window.

--  Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman