[comp.sys.amiga] 8 Channel Audio Digitizer

wille@frith.msu.edu (Jeffrey Wille) (07/04/90)

I am planning on making an 8-bit audio digitizer for my senior project.
I thought that if I put some extra work into that I might be able to
sell it.  I really can't compete with companies like PerfectSound,
so I thought I would make my product better, I'd make an 8 (or maybe
16) channel digitizer.

If I made the box so that it would communicate over the parallel port,
it would be Amiga specific, because most parallel ports are
unidirectional.  I could put 256K of RAM in the box and put a serial
port on it, and then it could be used by PC's and Mac's.  However,
that would make it slow, preclude real-time processing and limit the
sampling time.

I figure that I could make these boxes and sell them for about $200-$300.
If I thought that I could sell at least 8 or so of them, it would
probably be worth my while.  I could also take 12 or 16 bit samples,
but it would be more complicated and I'd probably have to sell them
for at least $400.  What do you people out in net-land think?  Do you
think there is a big enough market?

				Jeff Wille (wille@frith.egr.msu.edu)
					   (wille@happy.egr.msu.edu)

Torture numbers, and they'll confess to anything.   -- Gregg Easterbrook

mstgil@supernet.UUCP (Marc Ph. A. J. St.-Gil) (07/07/90)

In article <1990Jul3.175246.8871@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> wille@frith.msu.edu (Jeffrey Wille) writes:
>I am planning on making an 8-bit audio digitizer for my senior project.
>
>If I made the box so that it would communicate over the parallel port,
>it would be Amiga specific, because most parallel ports are
>unidirectional.

Only original IBM Parallel ports were unidirectional.  I beleive.

OK, my wish list is:
2 channels or greater
44KHz stereo sampling rate
32 bit resolution (OK, maybe 24 is ok)
appropriate s/w
mem buffer if necessary
under $500 price tag [under $100? :-) ]

Whaddaya think?
--
Marc St.-Gil: Harris Adacom Corporation  Dallas, TX, USA   // Only the Amiga
Internet:     supernet!mstgil%iex.uucp@dept.csci.unt.edu  // makes so much

Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips) (07/09/90)

Marc> OK, my wish list is:
Marc> 2 channels or greater
Marc> 44KHz stereo sampling rate
Marc> 32 bit resolution (OK, maybe 24 is ok)
Marc> appropriate s/w
Marc> mem buffer if necessary
Marc> under $500 price tag [under $100? :-) ]

How about 16 bit resolution?  (CD format stores only 16 bits.)  What are
you planning to reproduce the analog with?  As far as software, check out
Synthia Pro.  The hardware package would only need to create one of the
many file formats it accepts.
--
Chuck Phillips  MS440
NCR Microelectronics 			Chuck.Phillips%FtCollins.NCR.com