[comp.sys.amiga] RENDITION

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/31/90)

Is there ANYONE out there with ANY information WHAT-SO-EVER on this new 3D
rendering package called " RENDITION "?

All that I've read in any of the magazines about it is that it uses advanced
scanline routines to create photo-realistic images without having to
raytrace...and from the stats on ASDG's "ART DEPARTMENT", Rendition uses
32 bits-per-pixel files!!!  Perhaps someone from ASDG could comment...that is,
unless they're under some sort of "non-disclosure" agreement.  It seems as
though when things finally get published in the magazines, they're already
common knowlege here...or we've speculated on them enough to have atleast
pinned some features.

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (06/02/90)

In article <2913@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>Is there ANYONE out there with ANY information WHAT-SO-EVER on this new 3D
>rendering package called " RENDITION "?

Rendition is image synthesis software created by Numerical Design
Limited in Chapel Hill. It runs on Sun 3/4/386i, PC/AT's, Mac's,
Amigas, and Definicon DSI-780's. Its features include:

Scanline based rendering, hidden surface removal, anti-aliasing,
smooth shading, highlights, environment maps, transparency,
shadows, up to 8K x 8K resolution, 32 bit color (8 bits of
alpha for compositing), and a variety of surface properties
such as wood, metal, plastic, and 2D and 3D textures. It appears
that there is only one kind of light source but you can change its
color and intensity. There is a wireframe preview mode and final
images can be compressed to 7, 8, 9, or 10 bits as well as run-
length encoded.

The impression I got was that this is a PC clone product that will
run with a bridgeboard and a Targa frame buffer. The images I have
seen it create are reasonable but I tend to yawn at Targa products
on an Amiga. Some sample render times are below. These were an image
of a nearly empty room (chair, window, vase, and lamp). The increase
in polygon count is due to the introduction of shadows.

polygons        time(sec)       method
236             67              flat shading
236             84              Gouraud shading
236             100             Gouraud shading w/ transparency
589             1166            Gouraud with shadows
589             1252            Gouraud, shadows, and transparency

These were rendered on a PC-AT w/640K ram and 80287 at 512x485.
This is not very impessive, especially for simple Gouraud shading!

Numerical Design can be contacted at (919)929-2917

|      Mark Thompson                                                     |
|      masscomp!mark               Designing high performance graphics   |
|      (508)392-2480               engines today for a better tomorrow.  |

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (06/03/90)

In article <2913@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>Is there ANYONE out there with ANY information WHAT-SO-EVER on this new 3D
>rendering package called " RENDITION "?
>Perhaps someone from ASDG could comment.

Rendition is a rendering engine for hire. That is, suppose you were writing
a 3D modelling system that had an awesome user interface but your rendering
sucked? You  could  make a deal  with Numerical  Design Ltd, a company from
North Carolina, to  acquire their  rendering  routines  as  a library which
your user interface front end could call.

Thus far, the only product on the Amiga which uses the Rendition engine is
Octree's Caligari Broadcast.

Rendition is also the name of the file format which Rendition engines can
output. The Rendition format does indeed have up to 32 bits-per-pixel.

And yes, Rendition is one of the supported formats for the Art Department.

pk

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (06/06/90)

Thanks for the info...

I am a little disappointed though...I like the output from Caligari, the only
thing is (from what I've read), you have to have a TARGA or VISTA board to get
the *nice* output from Caligari.

Maybe they'll support the Toaster and the Firecracker/24
in a future release...I still would like to see "AmigaRENDERMAN"...

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (06/09/90)

In article <3010@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) says:

> Maybe they'll support the Toaster and the Firecracker/24
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Isn't that Impulse's 24bit board? What happens with it? Is it available?
How much does it cost? Is there any software to support it?

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

jandreas@pro-graphics.cts.com (Jason Andreas) (06/14/90)

I was told that the ND had started to port Rendition to the amiga, but then
Octree bought whatever rights available for it.  They then finished the port,
and it is included in Caligari-Broadcast.

 ProLine: jandreas@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!jandreas
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!jandreas@nosc.mil
Internet: jandreas@pro-graphics.cts.com

rcw@ndl.COM (Robert Whitton) (07/09/90)

    >>From: jandreas@pro-graphics.cts.com (Jason Andreas)

    >>I was told that the ND had started to port Rendition to the amiga,
    >>but then Octree bought whatever rights available for it.  They then
    >>finished the port, and it is included in Caligari-Broadcast.

This is not accurate and we feel that it is important to correct this rumor.

Numerical Design Ltd. has been licensing its photorealistic rendering
package for several years on workstations and high end PC's.  It is made
available to systems builders for inclusion in applications in
slidemaking, animation, CAD, and other appearance sensitive areas.

An Amiga version was introduced in 1989.  That version has been licensed
to Octree Software for use in Broadcast Caligari but it is not true that
"Octree bought whatever rights available for it".

Rendition on all platforms and in all its versions remains the property of NDL,
available for license.

Robert Whitton                                  rcw@ndl.com
Numerical Design Ltd.                           ...!mcnc!rti!ndl!rcw