[comp.sys.amiga] A3000 Shipping

Bill.Frandsen@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) (07/09/90)

Just the other evening, I got to work with a A3000 in 2.0 mode.  The dealer
who was demoing it had just gotten a shipment of 12 AmigaVision
packages in on Tuesday, and had also just received an update to 2.0 and
placed it on his A3000.  However, as he noticed (as well as myself), more
things were breaking under this newest version of 2.0.  On of them being
Commodore's own Preferences/SetClock-Calendar (forgot what the icon's name
was).  If you clicked on Save, Use, or Cancel, it would jump the date back
6 days or so, back to the first of the month, and would not allow you to
exit with any of the 3 gadgets.  However, the close gadget in the corner
of the window would let you shut down the program.

We also found out that Transcript/Transedit (from GoldDisk) would not allow
you to size the window at all (larger or smaller) without visiting the
"Software Failure" requestor, and the machine would re-boot.

However, this is also a bug I note somewhat in 1.3.2/1.3.  If you have a
1 meg agnes machine (no fast mem), and size the window into a small size,
then double-click in it to bring it to full size, it will guru.

Also, for some reason, on my machine it seems to randomly guru after I
select a file to load.  Xoper reports that the bug is in freeing memory
lists when exiting from the process it starts which is the file-requestor
itself.  (Apparently it returns the name to the main program).

Anyone else have this problem?  It seems to happen 25% of the time on my
A2000 6.2B/1Meg 8372A Agnes machine.  However on a friends A500 with
512k chip (8370) agnes, it doesn't crash selecting a file.

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (07/10/90)

In article <534@beguine.UUCP> Bill.Frandsen@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) writes:
> ... However, as he noticed (as well as myself), more
>things were breaking under this newest version of 2.0.  On of them being
>Commodore's own Preferences/SetClock-Calendar ...

Something to consider is that when you upgrade from a Beta version to
another "later" version you have to replace _everything_ that changed.
The easiest way to do this is to format your hard disk and copy the
new floppies onto it, however it is also possible to "surgically" update
the versions. Developers are used to this kind of thing but dealers usually
are not. When I upgraded from Beta to Release I noticed various files
changed location (from Utilities to Tools and vice versa) and preferences
files were no longer in env-archive they were in env-archive/sys (and
consequently env:sys/) Absolutely nothing is more dangerous to your
sanity than a partially updated system. (Well maybe an alpha source on
your RAM board :-))

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (07/10/90)

Hmmm that's interesting that his 2.0 upgrade should make things worse...our
demo machine's compatibility with 1.3 software gets better with every upgrade.

Nothing to really get upset about though until 2.0's in ROM...

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)