[comp.sys.amiga] How can I obtain a CIA chip?

pab@po.cwru.edu (Pete Babic) (07/09/90)

I need a CIA chip for my amiga 500 but the local commodore dealers refuse
to sell just a chip, they want me to bring the machine in for
diagnostics/service. Does anyone know where I can buy just the chip? Can I
order it from Commodore? Thanks in advance.

Pete Babic

I'm not totally useless...
I can always be used as a bad example!

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (07/10/90)

In article <1990Jul9.160324.17817@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pab@po.cwru.edu (Pete Babic) writes:

>I need a CIA chip for my amiga 500 but the local commodore dealers refuse
>to sell just a chip, they want me to bring the machine in for
>diagnostics/service. Does anyone know where I can buy just the chip? Can I
>order it from Commodore? Thanks in advance.
>
>Pete Babic
>
>I'm not totally useless...
>I can always be used as a bad example!

Here are a couple of places that have ads in Amiga World.

I have not tried any of these places, as I bought my 8620's from my
local dealer for $20.00 each (a bit high).

Also, I would buy two of them, and replace both.

The Grapevine Group Inc.
1-800-292-7445 or 914-354-4448

Software Hut Inc.
800-848-0079 (In PA - 215-462-2268

Good Luck!
--
"This ain't Rock 'N Roll, |  These be my words, not my employer's!
 this is Genocide!"       |Dave Lowrey - Amdahl Corp. - Houston, TX

mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) (07/10/90)

 In a previous article, pab@po.cwru.edu (Pete Babic) writes:

>I need a CIA chip for my amiga 500 but the local commodore dealers refuse
>to sell just a chip, they want me to bring the machine in for
>diagnostics/service. Does anyone know where I can buy just the chip? Can I
>order it from Commodore? Thanks in advance.

When I was playing with my parallel port, I blew out a CIA chip (My fault, I
take full blame).  I diagnosed the problem, called HT Electronics in Sunnyvale,
California, drove over and paid $20 plus tax, and had the thing installed in
the same day (I did all the work installing and testing it.)  Total down time:
about 1.5 hours after diagnosis (I hit rush hour traffic, plus had to stop for
dinner).  They did say they had only a limited supply and would only sell me
a couple, but one was all I needed.  I think HT Electronics does mail-order
business too.  The address and phone number are:

HT Electronics
346 W. Maude Ave.
Sunnyvale, CA  94086
(408) 737-0900

If you call during business hours (9am to 6 pm or so, PST) you will get a live
person.  If you call after hours, they switch over to an amiga BBS so you can
leave E-mail regarding any questions you have.  Good luck.

>Pete Babic

    -dave

aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex Liu) (07/10/90)

In article <11863@netcom.UUCP> mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) writes:

> In a previous article, pab@po.cwru.edu (Pete Babic) writes:
>>
>>I need a CIA chip for my amiga 500 but the local commodore dealers refuse

Well I need about a dozen of these 8520's.  Ever since I started fooling
with Parnet and the LUCAS board, I've been smoking them like mad.   Right
now, I'm down to two good ones out of 4 Amigas sitting under my desk.

btw, my A2000's system clock [not batter backed] is dead as a door nail.

-Viet