[comp.sys.amiga] How do you read the joysticks in "C"

young@wglen.UUCP (Randy Young) (07/10/90)

Hello:

I am about to start working on another game for the Amiga.  This game will
need to use the joysticks.  I will need to write some code to read the
values of the joystick for the directions of up, down, left, right, and the
botton on the joysticks.  I would also like to make the game a 4 player game,
so I would like to also know how to hook up 2 extra joysticks to the
parallel port (I thought I had heard some talk on this just a while ago).

This code should be in C for a start, eventualy it may be converted to
assembly (but not by me).  I use Lattice 5.0 newest version.

I hope somebody out there who has done work with the joysticks could help
me out.

Thanks (alot) in advance
Randy Young

jcs@crash.cts.com (John Schultz) (07/11/90)

In article <223@wglen.UUCP> young@wglen.UUCP (Randy Young) writes:

[how to read digital joysticks]

>I hope somebody out there who has done work with the joysticks could help
>me out.

  Everything you need to know is in the Amiga Hardware Reference Manual,
from Addison Wesley. If you want to use the gameport device, an example
is shown in the Amiga Rom Kernel, also from Addison Wesley.
Both of these books should be available at you local Amiga dealer, mail
order, or Software Etc. (B. Dalton).

  John