[comp.sys.amiga] Hard disk problem

parris@mit-caf.UUCP (Patrice Parris) (04/12/88)

Greetings
	 I have a friend who has no net access and the following
problem.  He has a 40MB Miniscribe Drive with the A2090 controller.
Every so often, he gets a requester which proclaims a read/write error
on the hard drive.  If he hits 'RETRY' immediately, it reappears.
However, if he waits for the heads to park after the 30 second
inactivity period and then retries, everything is fine.  He hasn't
lost any data yet, but his girlfriend ( a computer novice) is using
the 2000 to write her Master's thesis and the requesters are making
her nervous (yes, they know about backups).
	He is not running in overscan mode.  I gave him a copy of the
new CBM driver which came down the pike a while ago, but he says his
driver is the same length and so he thinks he already has it.  Are the
old and new drivers the same length?
	Any and all help would be sincerely appreciated!!  Thanks!

--
         Patrice Parris    parris@caf.mit.edu       parris@MIT-CAF.UUCP
      If George Bush chose Jean Kirkpatrick as his running mate, it would

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (04/13/88)

In article <897@mit-caf.UUCP> parris@mit-caf.UUCP (Patrice Parris) writes:
>Greetings
>	 I have a friend who has no net access and the following
>problem.  He has a 40MB Miniscribe Drive with the A2090 controller.
>Every so often, he gets a requester which proclaims a read/write error
>on the hard drive.  If he hits 'RETRY' immediately, it reappears.
>However, if he waits for the heads to park after the 30 second
>inactivity period and then retries, everything is fine.  He hasn't

 This really sounds like the OLD HDdisk software.

>	He is not running in overscan mode.  I gave him a copy of the
>new CBM driver which came down the pike a while ago, but he says his
>driver is the same length and so he thinks he already has it.  Are the
>old and new drivers the same length?

 I don't have a copy of the old drive to compare, but if he/she types out
 the HDdisk driver (using opt h), and they have the new one, they should see:

 Version 33 (rev 54) (Tue Nov 3 17:10:45 PST 1987)

>         Patrice Parris    parris@caf.mit.edu       parris@MIT-CAF.UUCP

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (04/15/88)

schein@cbmvax says:
> In article <897@mit-caf.UUCP> parris@mit-caf.UUCP (Patrice Parris) writes:
> >Greetings
> >	 I have a friend who has no net access and the following
> >problem.  He has a 40MB Miniscribe Drive with the A2090 controller.
> >Every so often, he gets a requester which proclaims a read/write error
> >on the hard drive.  If he hits 'RETRY' immediately, it reappears.
> >However, if he waits for the heads to park after the 30 second
> >inactivity period and then retries, everything is fine.  He hasn't
>
>  This really sounds like the OLD HDdisk software. ...
>  I don't have a copy of the old drive to compare, but if he/she types out
>  the HDdisk driver (using opt h), and they have the new one, they should see:
>  Version 33 (rev 54) (Tue Nov 3 17:10:45 PST 1987)

    i have v33r54, and i see the same symptoms.  they occur at power-up;
subsequent warm-boots are ok.  my drive is also a ~40Mb miniscribe (a 3053).

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uxc@uiuc.csnet		Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink:  w hamilton

unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Regional Support) (07/15/89)

I have an A2090 connected to a seagate ST-251 and a Micropolis 1351.  The
Seagate is partitioned into two partitions 22 cylinders for DH0: and the rest
for Fast: an ffs partition. DH0: developed a key set error and then became a
Not a Dos Disk right after on reboot. I then diskdoctored the dh0: partition
and diskdoctor relayed that cylinder two of all surfaces had hard errors and
then continued to run. At completion diskdoctor instructed to copy and format
like always,  I should say that everything is C= 1.3 except for the CSA 1.2.2
Kickstart in 32 bit on the dragstrip board. workbench is all 1.3 though

	I then attempted to format and format failed and came back to cli prompt
After that the system refused to acknowledge there was a disk in unit 1.
At the same time the FFS partition continued to function properly with
no trouble.  Info tells me there is no disk present in DH0:

    Is there a program on the Amiga to low level check the seagate
so I can mapout the hard errors. (BTW I have tried to reformat and diskdoctor
the partition repeatedly I have even reprepped it and get the same results)

--
******* Rick Unland	Commodore Business Machines ****************************
*	Usenet: uunet!cbmvax!unland  ARPA: cbmvax!unland!@uunet.UU.NET         *

In article <10072@sybase.sybase.com> clem@frenzy.sybase.com (David Clemons) writes:

>I'm having some trouble using ATalkIII from my hard disk, and am hoping someone
>(maybe Marco) can clue me in on how to fix it. The problem started after I
>backed up my HD due to some sector problems. I had to zero the drive, and
>reinstalled a new WorkBench, this time using Supra's SupraBoot. I later noticed
>when I restored the old files some software wouldn't work, including AT3, so
>I deleted them and copied them over from the master disks, and the others
>seem to be fine, except AT3 still won't work for me. My system is a vanilla
>A1000, and is basically the same as when I had it working before except for the
>Supra install programs.
[ etc.., etc..]

Sorry, but I can bet any money that your problems have nothing to do with
A-Talk III, but with your hard disk system.  Restoring files from a 'hosed'
hard disk system is asking for trouble. ANY of the files you backed up could
be corrupted, and finding out which one is the one that is corrupted is
something I don't recommed even to my worst enemies :-)

My only suggestion is the following one:

1. reformat your disk with multiple passes ensuring all bad sectors are marked
   as such.

2. Throw away all your backed up data (yes, it's hard, but I don't think you've
   much choice)

3. reinstall EVERYTHING: WB, and all the executables from the original release
   disks.

4. When everything works, start recovering the "data" files, manually,
   one by one.

Assuming that the backed up data from a corrupted system is *good* is not
safe for your health :-)

Just to make sure that the A-Talk III disk is not corrupted, boot off the
A-Talk III system disk (without the hard disk setup, of course) and try to use
the port (or copy whatever serial device you're using to an AT-/// backup).
Then if everything works, you know that the AT-/// disk is not corrupted.
I doubt Oxxi can help you, without direct access to your system.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

>In article <10072@sybase.sybase.com> clem@frenzy.sybase.com (David Clemons) writes:
>>I'm having some trouble using ATalkIII from my hard disk, and am hoping someone
>>(maybe Marco) can clue me in on how to fix it. The problem started after I
>>backed up my HD due to some sector problems. I had to zero the drive, and
>>reinstalled a new WorkBench, this time using Supra's SupraBoot.

Why is the old Cltd boot not working any more?  If the only difference is
SupraBoot, may I suggest that that could be your problem?  I would give the
Supra people a call, if I were you.