[comp.sys.amiga] Kickstart 2.0 compatibility

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (07/11/90)

There has been a lot of misinformation flying about about 2.0 and its
compatibility or incompatibility on this net. Since I now have "release"
2.0 I assume for the moment that it is done and that developers can
talk about it. (If the A3000 introduction doesn't count as a public
demonstration nothing does :-) [inside joke]) So let's start with this
one from Sean :

In article <3456@crash.cts.com> (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>KS2.0 can't work with the A1000 because it's only got 256K of writable control
>store...KS2.0 takes up 512K, and requires TWO eproms in the A3000.  KS2.0 will
>be a DUAL ROM set (it'll be interesting to see how they make it work with
>A2000s).

This is infact incorrect on two counts. The first is that 2.0 won't work on
a 1000 due to the smaller WCS. In fact, Commodore has devised a scheme which
developers use which can "kick" 2.0 into the first autoconfig'd fast ram
board. This continues to work, even with "release" 2.0. This makes the
A1000 boot sequence Kickstart 1.3->Kickit 2.0 (on a 1.3 disk)->2.0 Workbench.
The disadvantage is of course that the three disk boot is more tedious than
the two disk boot before, and even on warm boots you have to use two disks.
Now doubt someone will make a CPU daughterboard that has a 68000 socket and
a 2.0 ROM socket but that would be a hack.

The second point where Sean is incorrect is a bit more insidious because
it implies that 2000 and 500 owners won't be able to upgrade. This is
also not the case. The A3000 requires two ROMs because it has a 32bit
data bus and would really like to read in data 32 bits at a time. There
are no 32 bit ROMs so the 3000 uses two 16bit Roms to store the data.
On the 2000 and 500 though they have a 16 bit databus and yes, I believe
there are 512K X 16 ROMs which presumably plug into the same 40 pin
socket as the existing 256K X 16 ROM. If not, I _know_ there are
272048 EPROM's that could be used instead in a daughterboard arrangement.
If you are wondering why the delay, this may very well be it.
(developing the daughterboard)

Finally, on 2.0 and A1000 compatibility and "why can't I use it...?"

There is no reason why you cannot use 2.0 on a 1000. The caveats are
that is will be more inconvienient (two disk warmboot) and all of
the new Amiga 2000s and A500Ps are shipping with 1M of chip RAM. Eventually
these systems will compose a larger installed base than the 512K A1000 and
A500 systems (I know it will be a while) but some applications (mostly
games) will begin to require 1M of chip ram. This will probably be 2 years
down the road but it will happen eventually. Some productivity applications
such as word processors will ask for a new video mode and fail if they
can't get it. These applications won't work on the A1000 or unexpanded
A500s either. Again, it will be awhile since the installed base will
force 512K/noECS support. The bottom line though is that as people become
familiar with 2.0 and the number of 1M+/ECS systems grow they will
begin to take advantage of those features more heavily and 1000 owners
and older 500/2000 owners will be forced to choose between upgrading
and foregoing. All the introduction of 2.0 and ECS means is that
_it will_ happen someday. How long that will be is anyone's guess. My
guess is 2 years.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (07/11/90)

In article <138659@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>There is no reason why you cannot use 2.0 on a 1000. The caveats are

Is there also not a caveat that the disk to kick from 1.3 into 2.0 is
not available?  Will CBM release KS2.0 on floppy at all?  Will CBM
release the program needed to kick such a floppy?  I have a friend from
which I could probably get the programs (illegally), but I suspect that
the vast majority of loyal A1000 owners won't have such an option.

Just the ability to kick 2.0, however inconveniently, so that I could
test my programs under 2.0, would be nice.  Give me a year, and I'll be
out of here and have a job where I can afford a new A3000, so the
question of obsolecence in 3 years is not a problem for me.
                -- Darren

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (07/12/90)

In article <1990Jul11.232831.28400@cbnewsm.att.com> (Neil Weinstock) writes:
>Hmm, that'd be 8 Mbits.  I was not aware any such thing was available,
>certainly not in production quantities.  I'd be happy to be proved wrong,
>though...

Yeah, I flinched too after I multiplied it out. However, remember we are
talking _roms_ and not either RAMs or EPROMs. With 1u Technology you can
build a diode in a little bit over 1.8 u square. With two level metal
CMOS that is potentially 250,000 bits per square mil and 8M bits in about
33.5 sq mils. Drivers, row and column decoders and the selection circuits
will add some space but it isn't inconceivable at all. Just remember you
don't need any transistors/cell in a masked rom and it makes more sense.

I suppose someone could always call Toshiba or someone and ask. :-)