[comp.sys.amiga] CAN I USE the originial AMIGA for something?

topgun@vpnet.chi.il.us (robert white) (07/09/90)

I have the original Amiga,I believe it's called the 1000 model.
  I haven't used it in years. I thought that even though the
new models use much more memory and this first model is largely
outmoded there still ought to be some usefulness left in it.
  I went to my local AMIGA store and asked them what I would need to
do in order to use the computer to communicate with online services
and so forth. They told me that there is so little memory on this model
that it's useless. They suggested I dump it since it would cost way
too much to try and upgrade it.
   Are they accurate? What would I neeed to do to be able to use it
to get services such as Compuserve and various BBS.
   Thanks....

martens@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (07/10/90)

In article <2697404b-25ffcomp.sys.amiga@vpnet.chi.il.us> topgun@vpnet.chi.il.us (robert white) writes:

>I have the original Amiga,I believe it's called the 1000 model.
>  I haven't used it in years. I thought that even though the
>new models use much more memory and this first model is largely
>outmoded there still ought to be some usefulness left in it.
>  I went to my local AMIGA store and asked them what I would need to
>do in order to use the computer to communicate with online services
>and so forth. They told me that there is so little memory on this model
>that it's useless. They suggested I dump it since it would cost way
>too much to try and upgrade it.
>   Are they accurate? What would I neeed to do to be able to use it
>to get services such as Compuserve and various BBS.

I use my A1000 every day (right now, for example).  If you've got 512k
RAM, you shouldn't have any trouble hooking a modem up, loading a
communications program (Online, for one, works in 512k), and using it
to access various networks.

If it only has 256k, then you need the RAM upgrade.  It's a little box
that you screw into the front middle (there's a plastic door between
the drive and the power light), and you should be able to pick up a
used one cheap, since so many people are upgrading their 1000s.

If you have 512k, but decide you need more, there are a lot of
memory upgrades for reasonable prices.  Watch for used ones on the
net, or look through Amiga World ads.  I've got a 2MB Starboard
myself, and, trust me, this makes life easier.

Now, on the down side:  I really wouldn't sink too much into your
1000, because it may not be straightforward to upgrade it to run the
newest version (2.0) of the OS.  Is anybody listening who is actually
doing this, as opposed to thinking about it?

While we're talking about OS versions, it occurs to me that you might
still have 1.1 (or 1.0?).  If so, you might need to pick up 1.3 in
order to run a comm program.  It should say on the box of the program
what the minimal OS configuration they support is.  Your dealer, or
any mail order place, should still have the 1.3 enhancer disks.
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on an SLC; I'll bet it'll run
X11 almost as well as a 3/50 runs MGR!

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (07/10/90)

>I have a suggestion along these lines.  Let me say first that this
>is not a solution to everyones problem, so no flames please.  One
>way you can help both yourself and the cause of the Amiga is to
>donate your old iron as it becomes excessed.  I gave my A1000 to
>my brother in law; the result is that he is now tuned into the
>Amiga and is out buying software/hardware from "brother" developers.
>So far, he has purchased $1K worth of stuff - thus, giving up a machine
>that would have otherwise gathered dust instead generated sales for others
>in the Amiga community.  And perhaps a sale down the line for CBM
>if things follow their natural course.  When the time comes I plan
>to give up my A2?00 gear to the pre-school my kid attends that is (believe
>it or not) still using PETs.  That way I get a tax writeoff as well as
>giving Amiga exposure to many potential customers.  If you're a student
>living on a stipend checks, my suggestion probably isn't for you.  If you're
>a developer who leverages purchases off business income, consider the
>strategy.  Its better than hanging onto your machine on the off chance
>it will wind up on Captain Kirks desk in the year 2200 ;-).  I used to
>keep old computers as trophys, but with a new model every two years and
>being sixteen years into the field it gets a bit ridiculous to keep them all.
>
>					Rick Spanbauer
>					Ameristar

If you have old/unused computer equipment, check with your local
public library.

Ours has an "Adult Literacy" program which uses computers. They use all
kinds of computers in the program.

I donated my old C64, and two broken disk drives (they have found a
repair shop that will fix them for the cost of parts).

Not only do I feel good about helping someone, I get a Tax write off
too.

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey	 |  In Texas: {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group | The World: dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (amdahl!dwl10)
      Houston, TX	 |

stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) (07/10/90)

topgun@vpnet.chi.il.us (robert white) writes:

>I have the original Amiga,I believe it's called the 1000 model.
>  I went to my local AMIGA store and asked them what I would need to
>do in order to use the computer to communicate with online services
>and so forth. They told me that there is so little memory on this model
>that it's useless. They suggested I dump it since it would cost way
>too much to try and upgrade it.
>   Are they accurate? What would I neeed to do to be able to use it
>to get services such as Compuserve and various BBS.

For simple terminal communication, file upload/download, your A1000
is more than adequate.  Assuming it has 512K total memory, most
commercial and public domain communications programs will work just
fine.  All you need is an external modem and plug it into your
serial port in the back.  (Be ***SURE*** you get the proper cable for
the A1000!!!)  An external floppy drive can be bought for about $200
if you don't have one already, but you don't actually need it.

My A1000 ran for its first year with only 512K and only its internal
drive.  I wouldn't recommend it for software development, but it
was easily adequate for communications.

BTW, the modem and external floppy are still compatible for the newer
Amigas, so you won't lose them if you do decide to upgrade.

Steve Masters   stevem@hal.CSS.GOV
ENSCO, Inc.
Melbourne, FL  32940
(407) 254 4122

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (07/10/90)

In article <2697404b-25ffcomp.sys.amiga@vpnet.chi.il.us> topgun@vpnet.chi.il.us (robert white) writes:
>  I went to my local AMIGA store and asked them what I would need to
>do in order to use the computer to communicate with online services
>and so forth. They told me that there is so little memory on this model
>that it's useless. They suggested I dump it since it would cost way
>too much to try and upgrade it.

That's just silly (or, I suspect, an intentional lie).  Of course you
can use the A1000 for minimal applications.  Otherwise, nobody would
have bought the A1000 in the first place.  I'm typing on an A1000 right
now. If you only want to use it as a smart terminal, the minimal amount
of memory that comes with the A1000 (256K) is probably enough.

It's true that it would be almost impossible to upgrade it at this
point, since the hardware has a different edge-connector than the newer
models and companies are not making the old hardware any more. On the
other hand, I think the A590 (memory and hard disk for the A500, which
is a smaller version of the A1000) can be stuck onto an A1000 with the
right setup.  (You have to turn it upside down, or something.) Also,
there are several commercial and home-made "kludges" for making the
A1000 work as well as the newer models; I'm not familiar with them.

I use the VT100 program (which is shareware).  If you have any way of
getting software to your A1000 besides floppy, you can get lots of good
software via FTP or EMail, most of which is free.  If not, you might
want to ask Marco whether his ATermIII will run under the amount of
memory you have; I hear many people sing praises of this program.
You can also probably get somebody to mail disks of software to you;
Fred Fish is a good person to get stuff from this way.

The latest version of the operating system that runs on an A1000 is
called "Workbench 1.3".  You can get it for about $35 in the USA.  You
would probably want this to run the latest terminal software.  If you
have 512K (boot the machine, start the "workbench", and look at the bar
at the top of the screen), you should not have any trouble running lots
of programs. If you only have 256K, you might have some trouble with
modern programs.
                              -- Darren

In article <24111@estelle.udel.EDU> new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>I use the VT100 program (which is shareware).  If you have any way of
>getting software to your A1000 besides floppy, you can get lots of good
>software via FTP or EMail, most of which is free.  If not, you might
>want to ask Marco whether his ATermIII will run under the amount of
>memory you have; I hear many people sing praises of this program.

The name is A-Talk III, Darren :-)  Anyway, A-Talk III will run in a 512K
A1000, though you won't be able to multitask with much else.  1Meg is
recommended and there are still LOTS of companies that will sell you
memory expansions (take the insider for example). Moreover, with things like
the Rejuvenator you'll be able to run the A1000 with the new 2.0 ROMS and new
Agnus and Denise.

BTW, I still have my original 1985-vintage Amiga A1000 with 512K, which I
still use for testing.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (07/11/90)

In article <24111@estelle.udel.EDU> new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
(...Explanation that the A1000 is till useful deleted...)
                           [...]
>It's true that it would be almost impossible to upgrade it at this
>point, since the hardware has a different edge-connector than the newer
>models and companies are not making the old hardware any more.

No, the 1000 has the same expansion slot as the 500, it is just on
the other side (on the right instead of the left).  For a "useless"
computer, my 1000 seems remarkably useful right now...

>                                                          ...On the
>other hand, I think the A590 (memory and hard disk for the A500, which
>is a smaller version of the A1000) can be stuck onto an A1000 with the
>right setup.  (You have to turn it upside down, or something.)

No, it's just that because the slot is on the right side, the box when
plugged in faces toward the wall instead of facing you.  Makes it sort
of silly looking, but it is completely functional.  Plus you need to put
a book/board/shim under it on the 1000 because the slot is a little
higher up.

>                                                          ...Also,
>there are several commercial and home-made "kludges" for making the
>A1000 work as well as the newer models; I'm not familiar with them.

The Lucas is a 68020 board + Frances (32 bit memory) designed to fit
into the 1000.  It is a pretty slick board for a "kludge"; when it came
out everyone was asking $2000 for the commercial boards.  Lucas opened
the door for you to have an '020 for ~$200, and I think this helped
bring the commercial prices out of the stratosphere.

You should try to add the 256K module in the front; you can probably
find one pretty cheap now, and most software today will assume you have
at least 512K in your machine (although it may work fine in your machine,
then again, it might not).  I bought my 256K module new 5 years ago
(with my Amiga) for about $100.  You should be able to get a used one
a lot cheaper.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) (07/11/90)

In article <2697404b-25ffcomp.sys.amiga@vpnet.chi.il.us> topgun@vpnet.chi.il.us (robert white) writes:
>I have the original Amiga,I believe it's called the 1000 model.
>  I haven't used it in years. I thought that even though the
>new models use much more memory and this first model is largely
>outmoded there still ought to be some usefulness left in it.
>  I went to my local AMIGA store and asked them what I would need to
>do in order to use the computer to communicate with online services
>and so forth. They told me that there is so little memory on this model
>that it's useless. They suggested I dump it since it would cost way
>too much to try and upgrade it.
>   Are they accurate? What would I neeed to do to be able to use it
>to get services such as Compuserve and various BBS.
>   Thanks....

I have a suggestion along these lines.  Let me say first that this
is not a solution to everyones problem, so no flames please.  One
way you can help both yourself and the cause of the Amiga is to
donate your old iron as it becomes excessed.  I gave my A1000 to
my brother in law; the result is that he is now tuned into the
Amiga and is out buying software/hardware from "brother" developers.
So far, he has purchased $1K worth of stuff - thus, giving up a machine
that would have otherwise gathered dust instead generated sales for others
in the Amiga community.  And perhaps a sale down the line for CBM
if things follow their natural course.  When the time comes I plan
to give up my A2?00 gear to the pre-school my kid attends that is (believe
it or not) still using PETs.  That way I get a tax writeoff as well as
giving Amiga exposure to many potential customers.  If you're a student
living on a stipend checks, my suggestion probably isn't for you.  If you're
a developer who leverages purchases off business income, consider the
strategy.  Its better than hanging onto your machine on the off chance
it will wind up on Captain Kirks desk in the year 2200 ;-).  I used to
keep old computers as trophys, but with a new model every two years and
being sixteen years into the field it gets a bit ridiculous to keep them all.

					Rick Spanbauer
					Ameristar

PS.  The one machine I do hang onto is my Altair 8800.  If I had a copy
of the original RE 8008 machine I would keep that too :-)

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (07/11/90)

In article <25802@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>want to ask Marco whether his ATermIII will run under the amount of
>The name is A-Talk III, Darren :-)  Anyway, A-Talk III will run in a 512K

Sorry, Marco.  I stand corrected.   A-Talk III is the name.  -- Darren

saify@cbnewsl.att.com (saify.lanewala) (07/11/90)

In article <2697404b-25ffcomp.sys.amiga@vpnet.chi.il.us>, topgun@vpnet.chi.il.us (robert white) writes:
> I have the original Amiga,I believe it's called the 1000 model.
>   I went to my local AMIGA store and asked them what I would need to
> do in order to use the computer to communicate with online services
> and so forth. They told me that there is so little memory on this model
> that it's useless. They suggested I dump it since it would cost way
> too much to try and upgrade it.
>    Are they accurate? What would I neeed to do to be able to use it
> to get services such as Compuserve and various BBS.
>    Thanks....

I still have my trusty old A1000.  I have a 16 MHz 68020 accelarator
courtesy LUCAS, and I also have an additional 2MB RAM courtesy FRANCES.

There are hard disk interfaces available, there's lots of software (I guess
that's a judgement call 8-)).  It is fundamentally limiting, since it's
original design was not open-ended.  From that perspective, if it's going
to cost you a couple of thousand dollars to buy the additional memory, hard
disks and whatnot, then it makes more sense to upgrade to a 2000/3000.  I
have essentially relegated the 1000 for use by my kids.  My kids are 6 and
8, and do not need any supervision on the Amiga -- I guess that's a testament
to its usability;  I would not feel as comfortable allowing my 6-year-old
to play around  with my MSDOS machine!);

Hope this helps.
Saify Lanewala'

teece@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (teece) (07/12/90)

> I have the original Amiga,I believe it's called the 1000 model.
>   I went to my local AMIGA store...
> ...They told me...
>...that it's useless.
>    Are they accurate? What would I neeed to do to be able to use it
> to get services such as Compuserve and various BBS.
>    Thanks....

The first thing to do is to dump that AMIGA store you went to and tell all your
friends to do the same. Since you have been out of touch for awhile, let me
tell you that the A1000 is as useful as the day it was released (actually
much more so now) and has a following of dedicated users that prefer it over
the newer models. Commodore just had a very generous buy-back offer to let A1000owners trade up, and many of us chose to keep what we have, thank you!
For the purpose you have described, all you need is the stock A1000 and one of
many good public domain terminal emulators that are available through any user
group, bulletin board or GOOD dealer. Of course you need a modem too, but the
modem and software requirement are the same even if you buy the newest model of
Amiga (the 3000). If you do eventually need more memory it can be easily be
added with an external memory board such as the Starboard II or others (yes,
it might cost a bit more than adding memory to a 2000 or 3000 but not to the
extent it would pay to trade up for that reason alone.) Your machine is still
very useful and unless your store knows something you haven't mentioned (like
the motherboard is destroyed or something) they are fools and cheats who just
want your money!

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (07/12/90)

In article <2697404b-25ffcomp.sys.amiga@vpnet.chi.il.us>, topgun@vpnet.chi.il.us (robert white) writes:
> I have the original Amiga,I believe it's called the 1000 model.

Yup, that's correct.  I have one here on my desk which I use to debug HUGE
programs before they go onto a Unix system.

>   I went to my local AMIGA store and asked them what I would need to
> do in order to use the computer to communicate with online services
> and so forth. They told me that there is so little memory on this model
> that it's useless. They suggested I dump it since it would cost way
> too much to try and upgrade it.
>    Are they accurate? What would I neeed to do to be able to use it
> to get services such as Compuserve and various BBS.

No, they're not accurate.  The stock A1000 came with 256K of memory.  You
could plug another 256K into a socket on the front of the system, giving
you a total of 512K.  There's a socket on the right hand side called the
expansion connector that allows you to stick all kinds of stuff on it.  My
machine has 2M of memory in there, and a SCSI disk interface.  So, my 1000
has 2.5MB of memory, and 80MB of hard disk.  Not bad for an "outmoded"
machine, eh?

The "cheap" Amiga (the Amiga 500) which is being sold now is really merely
a repackaged A1000 -- it has the same stuff in it (for the most part) as
it's older brother.  In fact, expansion boards for the A500 will work on
the A1000, except for the fact that they'll look weird.  The A500's expansion
connector is on the left.  To use A500 devices, you have to plug them in
"backward" on the A1000 (just move the device clockwise to the right of the
A1000, raise it up off the table and plug it in).  Like I said, it'll look
weird, but it works.

There are still A1000 peripherals available.  The memory I have on my 1000
is a MicroBotics StarBoard 2.  It's still being made.  The SCSI disk is
a StarDrive module (plugs into an expansion connector on the StarBoard) and
an el cheapo Mac hard disk.
[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                - Baby Herman in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"