[comp.sys.amiga] A1500 expansion box for A500?

a596@mindlink.UUCP (Terry Palfrey) (07/10/90)

The 1500, I can't find all the stuff that was sent from England but I can give
you some details....
The 1500 has a box for your 500 motherboard. room for a 590 (?) and other stuff
and is strong...article showed author standing on it.
There is another wedge box for the 500 keyboard, power and drive light stay
with it.
Power supply is the original since all this stuff just goes inside new boxes...
Then there's the add on box the name of which escapes me now but it will take
three (3) 2000 cards....and you can mount three of these card cages...9 slots
Bridgeboard can't remember.
There was a hint that there might be an American distributor this year.
Sorry that's it ... you can try for some British magazines for info like Amiga
Format and Amiga Compute.
I lent all mine out otherwise I'd type in the specs.

withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com (George Withers) (07/10/90)

crosspost it and I'm hoping someone here has the information I seek as I
haven't gotten any replies from the hardware subgroup.  If this is a blatant
disregard for protocol, I'm sorry.

Has anyone got any information, pros or cons, on the UK's A1500
expansion box for the A500?
Specifically, would there be any incompatibilities or whatnot with it
being a UK manufactured
box using it in the US?  Also, does anyone have the name/address of the
manufacturer?

I read some information which basically said the A1500 gives the A2000
video slot and CPU
slot, detached keyboard and case, and n A2000 slots (purchased and
added).  The only feature
that appears to be lacking from what I have already seen is the
Bridgeboard capability and
AT slots.

So, if anyone has any more information, manufacturers address, or
(hopefully) first hand
experience...please mail or post.

 George Withers, Jr.                      | "There is no life I know to compare
 Digital Equipment Corp., 1925 Andover St.|  with pure imagination.  Living
 Tewksbury, MA 01876  AT&T: 508.858.2173  |  there you'll be free .. if you
 Addr: withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com        |  truly wish to be."  - W. Wonka

gmb@iclswe.icl.se (Grahame Budd) (07/12/90)

withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com (George Withers) writes:

>Has anyone got any information, pros or cons, on the UK's A1500
>expansion box for the A500?

The basic box gives you the a2000 video and cpu slots, an extra box gives three
ZORRO II slots. The keyboard is in a seperate box and the A500 case is discarded
after being dis-carded.

There is no Bridgeboard facility, (the designers comment was that the Amiga sw
was better so why bother).

From what I've seen the box is sturdy and attractive. It looks very Amiga like.

The unit costs about 200 quid for the basic box, keyboard box and leads. The 3
slot box is about 150 more.

One additional point: the keyboard box is available by itself complete with a
blanking plate for the subsequent hole in the A500 case. This is rumored to
cost about 50 pounds.