[comp.sys.amiga] A3000's Shipping!

evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) (06/27/90)

From article <12961@cbmvax.commodore.com>, by daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie):
>   [ Information on possable compatability problems etc. removed...
         Thanks Dave! ]

> As for software compatibility issues, there's 2.0 vs. 1.3.  I've found 2.0
> pretty solid lately, bus as mentioned in these parts before, the version
> shipping with the 3000 is a solid but not necessarily final release.  Problems
> under 2.0 that go away when you boot the machine under 1.3 are what you call
> software compatibility problems.  Without knowledge of what's going on inside,
> it's impossible to say whether it's a bug in the application or in 2.0.  If
> it is a 2.0 bug, you'll find the justification for the first 3000s being
> upgradable via floppy.  If an application bug, you should hear from the
> vendor; you all sent in those registration cards, right?

  I agree with Dave that 2.0 seems very solid!  I've been running a lot of
  OLD software through the paces (stuff that I would expect to conform to
  the rules the least) and have only crashed 2.0 maybe 3 times.  I don't
  think I've used 1.3 more than a couple of times (SID and 2.0 don't get
  along, and I needed to have an easy quick way to copy loads of stuff to
  the hard drive... selectively).  I am not very concerned with games not
  running on that machine (older ones that is... I kept my A1000 for that
  purpose).  I would like to say that Sculpt-Animate 4D SCREAMS on the
  A3000!  We ran SA4D on a 3 Meg 2000 and now on the 3000... The render
  times are much faster!!!  PageStream also runs like a champ!  I have
  installed my Lattice C 5.0 on it and compiles some small programs and
  it too is blindingly fast!

  Kudos to the crew at Commodore!  I think the 3000 is going to go a long
  way toward making the Amiga a more powerful force in the PC market!
  Again, Thanks Dave!

  P.S.:  The day after I left the message about getting the defective
         3000, Rick Sterling from Commodore called me at work to get
         some information on the defective unit!  Talk about Customer
         Service!  That makes a guy feel really good about the purchase
         he just made!!!  Thanks Rick!

_______________     /        /                    /  | uunet!sdrc!evtracy
   /    (___    _  /_       /_          _   __   /_/ | evtracy@SDRC.UU.NET
  / .  _____)__(__/ /__/_/_/ /__/_/_/__(/__/ (__/ \  +---------------------
     Structural Dynamics Research Corporation (SDRC) - Milford, Ohio

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (06/28/90)

Did you also notice that the sleepy mouse has been changed?

No more cloud and "Z's"...you get a stopwatch.  I'm still waiting for the
price on my system, but I can't wait!

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) (06/28/90)

From article <3320@crash.cts.com>, by seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham):

> Did you also notice that the sleepy mouse has been changed?
>
> No more cloud and "Z's"...you get a stopwatch.  I'm still waiting for the
> price on my system, but I can't wait!

  There have been so many changes to the Workbench that I am still finding
  new things (and I've been pounding on the 3000 a lot the past few days!)!
  I really like the new preferences!  Workbench 2.0 gives you MUCH more
  control over your environment and makes it easier to deal with changing
  small aspects of the environment.  I do like the clock instead of the
  "ZZZ" pointer (although it is a bit on the HUGE side... not a subtle
  little pointer for sure!).  I have been trying software out like mad
  and have had very little (of any importance to me at least) blow up
  on me (mostly games).  My girlfriend has a 2000 with 3 meg, a GVP 40Q
  hardcard, and a SyQuest so we have been checking all the stuff she
  has out too!

  The 3000 is well worth the wait (I had a deposit down on mine for
  almost 3 months!)!  I can't believe how slow my girlfriends 2000 is
  :-) now (she's starting to get the A3000 itch too!)!

_______________     /        /                    /  | uunet!sdrc!evtracy
   /    (___    _  /_       /_          _   __   /_/ | evtracy@SDRC.UU.NET
  / .  _____)__(__/ /__/_/_/ /__/_/_/__(/__/ (__/ \  +---------------------
     Structural Dynamics Research Corporation (SDRC) - Milford, Ohio

aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex Liu) (06/29/90)

In article <3320@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>Did you also notice that the sleepy mouse has been changed?
>
>No more cloud and "Z's"...you get a stopwatch.  I'm still waiting for the
What?  I love that ZZ cloud!

-Viet

sjcst2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Scott J. Corley) (06/29/90)

I just read a post in comp.sys.amiga.hardware that AmigaVision is shipping.
Can anyone confirm this? The A3000 I ordered arrived at my dealer and I just
picked it up yesterday , but I didnt get a copy of AmigaVision which I
thought was to be shipped for free with all 2000/3000 systems. Is this info
correct or was the statement that AmigaVision would be free just a rumor
started by the Amiga magazines?

       Thanks
          scott corley

Randy.Coghill@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Coghill) (07/02/90)

Dave, do you know if there is any chance of Commodore leaving 1.3
backwards compatibility in the 3000?

This feature is an excellent one, especially considering the fact that
it is going to take a while for some software to become 2.0/68030
compatible if they will be at all!

While I agree that manufactuers have had ample opportunity to upgrade
their software there are many that won't.

Randy

--
Randy Coghill - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: alberta!dvinci!weyr!70!Randy.Coghill

evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) (07/02/90)

From article <25494@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, by sjcst2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Scott J. Corley):
> I just read a post in comp.sys.amiga.hardware that AmigaVision is shipping.
> Can anyone confirm this? The A3000 I ordered arrived at my dealer and I just
> picked it up yesterday , but I didnt get a copy of AmigaVision which I
> thought was to be shipped for free with all 2000/3000 systems. Is this info
> correct or was the statement that AmigaVision would be free just a rumor
> started by the Amiga magazines?

  I didn't get a copy of AmigaVision with my A3000, but I did get a
  certificat that I sent in to Commodore for my copy of AmigaVision.

  I would check with your dealer and see if he has the certificate,
  if not, call Commodore customer support, someone I talked to said
  they did that and their copy of AV was shipped pronto!

_______________     /        /                    /  | uunet!sdrc!evtracy
   /    (___    _  /_       /_          _   __   /_/ | evtracy@SDRC.UU.NET
  / .  _____)__(__/ /__/_/_/ /__/_/_/__(/__/ (__/ \  +---------------------
     Structural Dynamics Research Corporation (SDRC) - Milford, Ohio

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (07/03/90)

In article <1990Jun26.224211.16335@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	To any Commodorians, in particular Guru Haynie:
>
>	Although Compugraphic has admitted to licensing
>Intellifont technology to Commodore, I realize that it is
>unreleased and thus you can't say anything about it (lest you
>have your #$%*$%& chopped off 8)
>	However, can you say what if any changes to fonts have
>been made to the current A3000 version of 2.0, and if any other
>changes will be made for the final 2.0 to be seen this Fall.

There have been some changes to fonts under 2.0.  To start, there is
a brand new clean sans-serif Topaz font.

More importantly, 2.0 has bitmap scaling fonts.  Not to be confused with
outline fonts.  If you explicitly ask for Topaz 22, for example, you
will get a scaled copy of Topaz 11.  The various AvailFonts() calls
will give you only the designed sizes that exist, as before.  Of course,
the scaling is done with bitmap scaling calls (which are now available
to any application), so the results will depend on several factors,
including the size of the font compared to the size of the result
(even multiples look best, smaller multiples often look better than
larger ones), and the font itself.  For whatever reason, for example,
Courier scales better than Times.

>Thanks,
>	-- Ethan
>
>Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
>
>"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
>		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (07/05/90)

> More importantly, 2.0 has bitmap scaling fonts.  Not to be confused with
> outline fonts.  If you explicitly ask for Topaz 22, for example, you
> will get a scaled copy of Topaz 11.  The various AvailFonts() calls
> will give you only the designed sizes that exist, as before.  Of course,
> the scaling is done with bitmap scaling calls (which are now available
> to any application), so the results will depend on several factors,
> including the size of the font compared to the size of the result
> (even multiples look best, smaller multiples often look better than
> larger ones), and the font itself.  For whatever reason, for example,
> Courier scales better than Times.

Okay. We are getting there. Now... (my favorite question) can you rotate
the bitmapped fonts (like 90 deg)?

Yes... (everyone groans)...
Does anyone have a nice way to write Amiga bit mapped fonts to the screen
sideways?

Regards Alan

In article <719.2691DC21@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> Randy.Coghill@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Coghill) writes:
>Dave, do you know if there is any chance of Commodore leaving 1.3
>backwards compatibility in the 3000?

Other than via an MMU toy like SetCPU, you won't always be able to run 1.3
on the 3000 as you can now.

>This feature is an excellent one, especially considering the fact that
>it is going to take a while for some software to become 2.0/68030
>compatible if they will be at all!

The "while" for software to become 68020/30 compatible has passed.  We
shipped 68020 systems almost two years ago.  Most of the guidelines for 680x0
compatibility have been in place since the beginning of Amiga-time, and I did
a complete analysis of this at the Washington DC DevCon in the spring of '88.

As for 2.0 compatibility, the reason to keep 1.3 around is to give everyone
a chance to fix their bugs.  Both Amiga programmers, who'll fix any 2.0 bugs
they find, and applications programmers, who should fix their 1.3 bugs that
break under 2.0.  Once 2.0 is ROMed, there will be no need to support 1.3
anymore.  Good companies will have released bug fixes to their software where
necessary, and not-so-good companies will be telling you the kind of support
you'll get from them in the future.

>While I agree that manufactuers have had ample opportunity to upgrade
>their software there are many that won't.
>
>Randy
>

>--
>Randy Coghill - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
>UUCP: alberta!dvinci!weyr!70!Randy.Coghill
>Internet: Randy.Coghill@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG
>Standard Disclaimers Apply...

	"I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit" -REM

In article <13058@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax (Dave Haynie) writes:
>As for 2.0 compatibility, the reason to keep 1.3 around is to give everyone
>a chance to fix their bugs.  Both Amiga programmers, who'll fix any 2.0 bugs
>they find, and applications programmers, who should fix their 1.3 bugs that
>break under 2.0.  Once 2.0 is ROMed, there will be no need to support 1.3
>anymore.  Good companies will have released bug fixes to their software where
>necessary, and not-so-good companies will be telling you the kind of support
>you'll get from them in the future.

	Most of the companies I've spoken to (including NewTek and
Gold Disk) have stated that it is their policy to wait for 2.0 to be
finished before working on bug fixes because they say they don't know
if the bug is their fault or Workbench's fault. Gold Disk said that
all the problems with gadgets were problems with Intuition and that it
had nothing to do with them. If this attitude is prevalent we may have
to wait until after September before we get knew versions.

In article <1990Jul5.193053.30153@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <13058@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>As for 2.0 compatibility, the reason to keep 1.3 around is to give everyone
>>a chance to fix their bugs.  Both Amiga programmers, who'll fix any 2.0 bugs
>>they find, and applications programmers, who should fix their 1.3 bugs that
>>break under 2.0.  Once 2.0 is ROMed, there will be no need to support 1.3
>>anymore.  Good companies will have released bug fixes to their software where
>>necessary, and not-so-good companies will be telling you the kind of support
>>you'll get from them in the future.
>
>	Most of the companies I've spoken to (including NewTek and
>Gold Disk) have stated that it is their policy to wait for 2.0 to be
>finished before working on bug fixes because they say they don't know
>if the bug is their fault or Workbench's fault. Gold Disk said that
>all the problems with gadgets were problems with Intuition and that it
>had nothing to do with them. If this attitude is prevalent we may have
>to wait until after September before we get knew versions.

IMHO, that's VERY dumb on the part of those companies.  Interestingly I
didn't meet any represenatative of such companies at DevCon.  Also, I can
attest to the fact that participating in the beta process is a two-way
street: you get to check what Commodore is working on and a chance to help
fix bugs, AND you also make sure that your software doesn't do anything
"not-by-the-books", which can show up in a new release like 2.0.  Commodore
took out at some point some "compatibility fixes", which showed up problems
in a number of products (including mine :-) Some of these fixes are back in
temporarily, but will be gone at a later release. Not participating in the
beta process, gives you NO leverage in situations like that.  Let me also
say that Commodore's 2.0 beta process was just the best I've participated to:
bug reports were obtained from all possible sources (BIX, US Mail, usenet);
new betas were always fairly easy to install and they included quite some
"magic" to get them to be tested on non-A3000 machines.

Andy and Carolyn quite often responded directly to bug reports and were always
very responsive to pleas for compatibility and Carolyn was instrumental in
getting the RJ file requester fixed, which certainly made my week when it
happened.  The same I can say of Bob 'Kodiak' Burns that listened to my
bug reports on 'we know what' with almost immediate e-mail fixes.

One of the reasons 2.0 seems to be so solid is, IMHO, the fact that
there were *some* developers that did NOT take the attitute you are
mentioning above.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (07/08/90)

In article <1990Jul5.193053.30153@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <13058@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>As for 2.0 compatibility, the reason to keep 1.3 around is to give everyone
>>a chance to fix their bugs.
>>...  Good companies will have released bug fixes to their software where
>>necessary, and not-so-good companies will be telling you the kind of support
>>you'll get from them in the future.
>
>	Most of the companies I've spoken to (including NewTek and
>Gold Disk) have stated that it is their policy to wait for 2.0 to be
>finished before working on bug fixes because they say they don't know
>if the bug is their fault or Workbench's fault.

WordPerfect has said that they're waiting for a release version of 2.0
to start fixing the fact that it can't even be run without crashing.
Since they said this in a letter dated a couple of weeks after I
received the 2.0 release and since it took them 9 months to fix the
bugs it had running under 1.3 ffs, I'd say my office (which depends
on WP but also has projects requireing 2.0) is screwed!
--
	There are two ways to improve on human factors in computing:
 to make the programmers less stupid and/or to make the users less stupid.

brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) (07/08/90)

daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

-As for 2.0 compatibility, the reason to keep 1.3 around is to give everyone
-a chance to fix their bugs.  Both Amiga programmers, who'll fix any 2.0 bugs
-they find, and applications programmers, who should fix their 1.3 bugs that
-break under 2.0.  Once 2.0 is ROMed, there will be no need to support 1.3
-anymore.  Good companies will have released bug fixes to their software where
-necessary, and not-so-good companies will be telling you the kind of support
-you'll get from them in the future.

If no-one is supporting 1.3, and the 1000 can't run 2.0, it sounds as if
you are trying to completely force my machine out of the market.

Or, I guess it all depends on the software manufacturer to try to come up
with products that will work on both the 1.3 OS (for those of us who
can't change) and 2.0 OS for those who must change.

Feel free to mail me telling me that I am not seeing straight, the amiga
1000 will be able to run 2.0, and I have nothing to worry about with my
configuration. :-)

brian moffet

uunet!sco!brianm

In article <4841@milton.u.washington.edu> dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:

>WordPerfect has said that they're waiting for a release version of 2.0
>to start fixing the fact that it can't even be run without crashing.
>Since they said this in a letter dated a couple of weeks after I
>received the 2.0 release and since it took them 9 months to fix the
>bugs it had running under 1.3 ffs, I'd say my office (which depends
>on WP but also has projects requireing 2.0) is screwed!

	I'd suggest you try running WordPerfect cause it is
working PERFECTLY for me. If you make your fonts 8 point
non-proportional there are no problem. If you make the menus font
something else (but leave the default screen font the same) the
menus come up just fine but they look a little off. The only way
you can cause it not to work is by making the default screen font
something other than the normal font, and then it doesn't crash
its just that the display is all garbled.

SRWMCLN@windy.dsir.govt.nz (Clive Nicolson) (07/09/90)

In article <U=A.647455428@sco>, brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) writes:
> If no-one is supporting 1.3, and the 1000 can't run 2.0, it sounds as if
> you are trying to completely force my machine out of the market.

I see no reason why 2.0 should not run on a A1000. As long as the run time
memory requirements are not excessive, then all that is needed is 2.0 KICKSTART
disks and 2.0 Workbench. As far as I can tell C-A had Beta versions of 2.0
that were being used on A1000's in the field. If C-A dont want to sell these
upgrades for the A1000, then I'm sure some one will.

Someone from C-A should make a statement that 2.0 will never be able to run
on a A1000 (if that is the case), so that every A1000 owner can get some sleep.

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (07/10/90)

KS2.0 can't work with the A1000 because it's only got 256K of writable control
store...KS2.0 takes up 512K, and requires TWO eproms in the A3000.  KS2.0 will
be a DUAL ROM set (it'll be interesting to see how they make it work with
A2000s).

gerber@buzzer.enet.dec.com (Robert M. Gerber) (07/10/90)

> KS2.0 can't work with the A1000 because it's only got 256K of writable
control
> store...KS2.0 takes up 512K, and requires TWO eproms in the A3000.
KS2.0 will
> be a DUAL ROM set (it'll be interesting to see how they make it work with
> A2000s).
>
> Sean

The ROM's in the A3000 are 256K by 16 bits to give a full 32 bit buss to
the ROM's.  The socket
in the A500/A2000 can handle either a 256K by 16 bit (KS 1.2/1.3) or
512K by 16 bit.  So no
problem with 2.0 in the A500/A2000 machines.
---------
Robert M. Gerber		  UUCP:	...!decwrl!oldjon.enet!gerber
				  INET:	gerber@oldjon.enet.dec.com

Any opinions represented here are definetly not those of my employer.
Come to think of it, they may not be mine either!

dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (07/12/90)

In article <1990Jul8.193603.14340@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>	I'd suggest you try running WordPerfect cause it is
>working PERFECTLY for me. If you make your fonts 8 point

I just tried again, using the recent release of 2.0 (kickstart 33.180 and
workbench 33.68) using the distribution disks to boot then using the
distribution disks for the most recent WP (9/29/89) to attempt to run
WP from the 2.0 workbench.  It caused a software error before opening
any windows to display any fonts, 8 point or not.  Are you using the most
recent releases?  If so, please let me know what you have done to get
WP to work under 2.0.
--

joe@cbmvax.commodore.com (Joe O'Hara - Product Assurance) (07/12/90)

In article <4969@milton.u.washington.edu> dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:
>In article <1990Jul8.193603.14340@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>>	I'd suggest you try running WordPerfect cause it is
>>working PERFECTLY for me. If you make your fonts 8 point
>

>I just tried again, using the recent release of 2.0 (kickstart 33.180 and
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>workbench 33.68) using the distribution disks to boot then using the
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>distribution disks for the most recent WP (9/29/89) to attempt to run
>WP from the 2.0 workbench.

The production release numbers are Kickstart 36.141, Workbench 36.68.

Kickstart 33.180 is not even current 1.3. What machine are you running on?

  Joe O'Hara                ||      Disclaimer: I didn't say that!
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||
  Product Assurance         || "I never lie when I have sand in my shoes."
  Systems Evaluation Group  ||             - Geordi LeForge, Star Trek TNG

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (07/12/90)

In article <4841@milton.u.washington.edu> dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:
>In article <1990Jul5.193053.30153@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>>In article <13058@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>	Most of the companies I've spoken to (including NewTek and
>>Gold Disk) have stated that it is their policy to wait for 2.0 to be
>>finished before working on bug fixes because they say they don't know
>>if the bug is their fault or Workbench's fault.

I don't know about you, but as a registered owner of bothe DigiView 4.0 and
DigiPaint 3, and the future owner of a 3000/25, I called up NewTek, and they
told me that when I get the 3000, call them, and they'll work with me to get
the programs up and running on the 3000/2.0 however it has to be done...

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "No matter how big a straw, you can't suck water up |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  more than 34 feet."                                |