[comp.sys.amiga] modem help me

itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) (07/05/90)

I am planning on buying a 2400 baud modem soon.  I have an Amiga2000
with 2 floppy dirves and a 40 meg hard drive.  I would like
some advice.

First of all, is there really any difference between modems (like
from different manufacturers)?

I want an internal modem.  Is there any reason why I should
or shouldn't get an internal one?  (pros and cons of internal
vs. external)

I was considering a Supra 2400zi, any comments?  Also I noticed a
Supra 2400 plus with MNP; what's this MNP stuff all about?

If there is any other info you want to tell me, please do.
Any comments at all would be helpful.  Thanks a lot....

RichBrack
--
{ the itchman cometh   /-/         _          i don't want to be your angel }
{ itch@cbnews.att.com /-/        _|_|_          i want to be your witch!    }

mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) (07/06/90)

 In a previous article, itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) writes:

>I am planning on buying a 2400 baud modem soon.  I have an Amiga2000
>with 2 floppy dirves and a 40 meg hard drive.  I would like
>some advice.
>
>First of all, is there really any difference between modems (like
>from different manufacturers)?

Yes.  Like all things, you usually get what you pay for.  The big thing with
modems are speed, features, and error performance.  Speed is stated up front.
The other two things are semi-hidden.  Personally, I like my Everex Evercom
24E+ modem, but it is external and you wanted an internal.  Error performance
is usually stated in error rate (1 bit in XXXX) at a given signal/noise
ratio.  The S/N ratio is usually stated in dB (deciBels).  Don't try to
compare the error rate vs. S/N ratio of modems operating at different speeds.
For that, you need to find the figure called Eb/N0 (Energy-per-bit/Noise
Density) and this is tough to come by with dial-up modems, in my experience.
Makers of phone modems don't quote it, they stick with the error rate at a
specific S/N ratio.  Unfortunately, it's quite likely that two makers will
pick different S/N ratios where their modem works well, comparatively.  The
best thing to get is a curve showing all possible error rates at given S/N
ratios, but good luck trying to get that info too.  I don't think it can be
had.

>I was considering a Supra 2400zi, any comments?  Also I noticed a
>Supra 2400 plus with MNP; what's this MNP stuff all about?

MNP (MicroCom (sp?) Networking Protocol) is a family of error detection and
correction algorithms installed in the modem.  When your modem connects with
another, it tries to determine if the other has MNP capability and what level
it has (Usually MNP capability is stated in levels.  3, 4, and 5 are common.
I have heard of modems running at level 10 and higher).  The higher the level,
the more the modem does.  Starting at level 5, compression is thrown in too.
This makes the effective transfer rate higher for some things.  It won't speed
up the transmission of files that are already compressed.  You also have to
have your computer-to-modem link running faster than the bit rate of the modem
to support the higher throughput.  You also have to make sure that the modem
on the other end is MNP capable.  When the MNP link is established, the link
will occur at the highest MNP level supported by both modems.  If you have an
MNP-5 modem and the one you are calling is MNP-3, you will only get the
features of an MNP-3 link.  If the other end has no MNP level or it isn't
enabled (via the AT command set extensions each modem comes with) you get a
regular old link.  MNP capability is something you pay for.  Level 5 is about
the highest level in common use today.  In my experience, BBS systems I call
don't have MNP modems so for me it has been a waste of money to date.  I hope
that in the future this changes.  With MNP capability of the proper level,
you really don't need to use protcols like X-Modem or Z-Modem, since the
MNP modem you use gaurantees correct transmission of the data.

>RichBrack

   -dave

MIKER@S62.Prime.COM (07/10/90)

Hi,....

Did you ever get a response to your modem questions?  I am looking
for the same information and would appreciate your posting a
summary if you could.

I am new in the Amiga world (actually have not purchased yet...soon)
and want to get as much of an idea of things to watch out for.

oops...just realized that this is going to the entire world...not
just the sender of the modem questions.

Does anyone out there have recommendations for a modem/comms
software purchase?  I am particularly interested in 3000 hookups if
that is known yet.

tks, miker

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (07/12/90)

In article <419500036@S62.Prime.COM>, MIKER@S62.Prime.COM writes:
> Hi,....
>
> Did you ever get a response to your modem questions?  I am looking
> for the same information and would appreciate your posting a
> summary if you could.
>
> I am new in the Amiga world (actually have not purchased yet...soon)
> and want to get as much of an idea of things to watch out for.
>
> oops...just realized that this is going to the entire world...not
> just the sender of the modem questions.
>
> Does anyone out there have recommendations for a modem/comms
> software purchase?  I am particularly interested in 3000 hookups if
> that is known yet.
>
> tks, miker

I have a 2500/30 system (the next best thing to a 3000 8-) and use two
different modems on it, a Supra 2400 external (fine modem, great price!)
and a Telebit T1000 9600 baud external.  Both work great.  I use several
PD programs for telecomm, Access 1.42 (it doesn't work well on OS 2.0),
ATalk, JRComm, VT-100, and Kermit.  I also own a copy of OnLine! from MSS,
but hardly ever use it.

As far as other stuff, I'm using Dillon's UUCP 1.06D for Usenet stuff, and
several other goodies such as ASDG's Dual Serial Board.

Note that this is all running under AmigaDOS 1.3, not 2.0.  Some of the PD
stuff will undoubtedly crash under 2.0.

[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                - Baby Herman in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"

itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) (07/13/90)

> Hi,....
>
> Did you ever get a response to your modem questions?  I am looking
> for the same information and would appreciate your posting a
> summary if you could.
>
> tks, miker

Okay....

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded, you were all very helpful.

Most people perfer the external modem because:
     o the lights (although one person noted that the Supra2400zi comes with
                   a utility to display a fake light panel on the screen)
     o external is a standard, and can be used on different computers.
     o external can be easily carried from one computer to another.

It was also noted that the Supra2400zi doesn't use serial.device, but
comes with modem0.device.  If your software doesn't allow you to
choose what .device to use, you have to rename the modem0.device to
serial.device.  (I can imagian the impact this would have on other
software trying to use serial.device.)  I don't know what software
allows you to choose the .device, does anybody have a list (including
PD stuff)?????????

Almost everyone liked Supra and recommended them.  The Zoom modem and
the Everex Evercom 24E+ were the only other ones mentioned (not to say
there are no other quality modems out there).

The MNP-5 is an error checking/data compression thing.  If two modem with MNP
connect, then the appearant transfer rate can go to around 4800 baud.

I'll probably get the Supra 2400 external modem.  Now I just have to
get around to ordering one.......

RichBrack