[comp.sys.amiga] A3000 followup - things that go "bump" in WB2.0

kelso@mimsy.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) (07/09/90)

Here's yabsp (busted software posting)
Can someone collect/organize these things and post summarys to
the net? I'll volunteer if nobody else is doing it.

Here's my setup:
	A3000-25/100 w/ production WB 2.0 xxx.68 (yes, I'll be more exact
from now on (:-)) and 1M chip + 1M fast (std config)

I tried orig. copies of the following software booting them w/ a
floppy in the drive from a warm restart - ie *not* launched from
WB after CBM's and my startup-sequences.

		Commercial Software:
Title:				WB 1.3.2	WB 2.0		Note:

Archanoid (1)			NO		NO		1
Bards Tale 1			NO		NO		1
Bards Tale 2			YES		YES 		2
Chessmaster 2000		YES		YES
CLIMate				YES		NO
Cribbage Gin King		YES		YES		2
Defender of the Crown		NO		NO		1
Deluxe Paint 2			YES		YES		2
DiskMaster			YES		NO
Dungeon Master			YES		YES
Earl Weaver Baseball		YES		NO
F-18 Inteceptor			YES		YES		2
Fairy Tale Adventure		YES		NO?
Marauder 2			YES		YES		2
Ports of Call			YES		NO
Project D			YES		YES		2
ProWrite 2.0			YES		YES		2
Rocket Ranger			YES		YES
Shufflepuck Cafe		NO		NO		1
Sidewinder			YES		YES
SimCity 1.1			YES		YES		3
Solitaire Royale		NO		NO		1
World Leader Board (Golf)	YES		NO

Notes:
	1) - FUBAR! if you get these to work, let me know!
	2) - Installable on hard disk as well
	3) - Intermittent -YOW! I *hate* hwen that happens!

		PD Software
checkers			YES		YES
csh 4.01			YES		YES
Hearts				YES		YES
less				?		?		1
movie				YES		NO		2
nethack 3.8			?		?		3
sksh 				YES		YES
Space Invaders			YES		YES
Tetrix				YES		YES
unshar				YES		YES
virusX, screenX, etc		YES		YES
vt100 2.9a			YES		YES
zoo 2.?				YES		YES

Notes:
	1) - gives "guru" may be hd config/assign prblm
	2) - can't run anim demos (badge stuff) in 2.0
	3) - major memory Oink! problem methinks

I'll post a few more commercial as well as pd when I isolate the
behavior better.

btw 2.0 is *nice*! way to go CBM! I'll give details & kudos
as I explore it. Suffice to say for now that the 3-D WB w/ window
fill patterns is quite slick. A *very* easy to use hd partitioning
tool.
--
Real:	Stephen Kelley, Welch Library, Johns Hopkins Univ.
Internet: stevek@welch.jhu.edu

In article <25382@mimsy.umd.edu> kelso@mimsy.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) writes:
>Here's yabsp (busted software posting)
>Can someone collect/organize these things and post summarys to
>the net? I'll volunteer if nobody else is doing it.

	One thing to note while experimenting is that shutting
off the data and instruction caches on the 68030 via the cpu
command (or the setcpu program for 1.3) will make the vast
majority of games which otherwise crash work beautifully. When I
had a A500 and bought the midget racer, I found that fully half
of my games wouldn't work. For the ones which booted with
AmigaDOS, I placed the setcpu program on the floppy and put a
setcpu nocache in their startup-sequence. The only program this
didn't fix things for was Marble Madness. Every other program
which booted using AmigaDOS worked fine.
	Then there is Psygnosis and the other games like it which
don't even use AmigaDOS to begin with...
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (07/10/90)

In article <25382@mimsy.umd.edu> kelso@mimsy.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) writes:
>Title:				WB 1.3.2	WB 2.0		Note:
>Tetrix				YES		YES

This is an interesting one. I assume it is the same Tetrix I have and
if so, I found it worked well at first and then suddenly "locked out"
the keyboard. No more control, even A-M, A-N were hosed. I have not
been able to finish a game with it. (ie have it get to a level where
I couldn't stack those puppies fast enough.)

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

ins624y@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au (mr r. walker) (07/13/90)

In article <25382@mimsy.umd.edu> kelso@mimsy.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) writes:
>Here's yabsp (busted software posting)
[....]>
>		PD Software
>nethack 3.8			?		?		3

NetHack (drool) for the Amiga??? I thought it was only for the (belch) IBM (urk).  I follow Fish disks fairly closely, but could have this one slipped past me?  PLEASE tell me where I can get this, (preferably on a fish disk, as I am new to the unix OS, and don't want to get hassled with FTP).  I have HackLite from the Software Distillery, but this would be fun too.  I am willing to sacrifice virgin goats free from blemishes for this information.

Yours, Rod Walker.