[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga vs IBM PC

dblee@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Dan Lee) (07/13/90)

I don't know how many times you guys have seen this question but here goes...

I am planning to get a PC for my personal work.  Up until yesterday, I was
going to get an IBM compatible 286 machine.  But a friend of mine told me to
look into Amiga.  I know Amiga has really good graphics and sound but is it
really worth looking into?  I know you guy must know a lot better than I do.
So, why don't you help me out.  Tell me why you got your Amiga, instead of PC.

One of my obvious application is Word Processing.  I have used PC word
processing and did not really like it.  I, though, like Mac type of word
processing.  But Mac is too expansive.  How does Amiga word processing stand
up against Mac's?  Does amiga has Centronics interface so I can plug any
printer in?

Any info on Amiga would be helpful to me.

BTW, if you suggest me to go to library, I already did.  They don't have any
on Amiga.
Thanks much.  (in advance)

Dan Lee
-------
dblee@rodan.acs.syr.edu

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (07/13/90)

Yes, the Amiga can talk to any printer, including a postscript printer.
It can use either the serial or parallel (Centronics) port and all
software will talk to any printer.

My best recommendation to you is to call Commodore in Pennsylvania
at 1-800-627-9595 and give them your zipcode. They will tell you
the nearest Amiga dealers to you and you can go check out an Amiga
yourself. Be aware that there are also gobs (100's of meg) of PD software
available also, all from a few convenient sources (anon-FTP and Fred Fish
leap to mind).

I called Commodore to find Amiga dealers near me. About three weeks later,
I got a call at work one from the stores whose name I was given asking
me if they could help me. I got a postcard from the other store. While
this is great customer service, I'm aware that unscrupulous businesses
might not be as unobtrusive as these contacts were.
                  -- Darren

arc@desire.wright.edu (07/13/90)

In article <3880@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, dblee@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Dan Lee) writes:
> I don't know how many times you guys have seen this question but here goes...
>
> I am planning to get a PC for my personal work.  Up until yesterday, I was
> going to get an IBM compatible 286 machine.  But a friend of mine told me to
> look into Amiga.  I know Amiga has really good graphics and sound but is it
> really worth looking into?  I know you guy must know a lot better than I do.
> So, why don't you help me out.  Tell me why you got your Amiga, instead of PC.
>
> One of my obvious application is Word Processing.  I have used PC word
> processing and did not really like it.  I, though, like Mac type of word
> processing.  But Mac is too expansive.  How does Amiga word processing stand
> up against Mac's?  Does amiga has Centronics interface so I can plug any
> printer in?
>
> Any info on Amiga would be helpful to me.
>
> BTW, if you suggest me to go to library, I already did.  They don't have any
> on Amiga.
> Thanks much.  (in advance)
>
> Dan Lee
> -------
> dblee@rodan.acs.syr.edu

  Well, of course, we people with an Amiga would tell you it's better, but
there are reasons.  I've worked with IBM's, and sure, they'll do, and do well.
And if you want great WP'ing, AMIGA has some great stuff.  The best I've seen
ON ANY computer is the newest version of Excellence.  It has spellcheck while
you type, and is fairly fast.  Things about the Amiga, in short, that beat the
heck out of the IBM is this: Multitasking built-in, this makes the Amiga faster
in mtaskingthan IBM's plus makes for less memory usage.  I've even used Windows
3.0.  3.0 STILL has some TERRIBLE bugs, and doesn't even come close to an Amiga
of equal speed of whatever you're running W3.0 on.  The Amiga has faster
graphics than a 286 at 12mhz./S-VGA, and many pics are of TRUE VGA-Quality.
(I'm talking a STOCK Amiga too.)  If you do have the money (about $3000), I'd
get the Amiga 3000.  Execellent price, etc.  Plus, on the Amiga, you won't have
to worry a whole lot of being compatible with your MS-DOS people.  There is a
GREAT MS-DOS file system for AMiga that runs in the background to let you
read/write 720K MS-DOS disks from any application, though you might have to
save it from an Amiga WordPerfect program if you're gonna load it on an IBM
WordPerfect.  (4.0 of Cross-DOS.)  Plus, most Amiga DB's are Lotus 123 and
many are DB III compat. (Plan It, DB Man V5)  I have worked with IBM's, and I
find that the working without multitasking is a pain, once you have used the
Amiga.  There are some things bad about the Amiga, like the floppy file system
and the interlace (400 lines down, on a STOCK Amiga), but that's the only two
bad things about it.  I could name for years the bad things about the
IBM...  If you wanna see about being compat. with Amiga, read the July 90
edition of Computer Shopper.  It will provide you with more than I have here.

=    ///           | Jim Perry                 | Arc@Desire.Wright.edu =
=   /// Amiga!     | ^Communications Consultant|         -or-          =
= \XX/ The One     | Arc Electronics, Inc.     |    Arc@WSU.BITNET     =
= ____& Only...    | Wright State University   |"Ouch! Quit-it." - Bart=
=                  | Dayton, Ohio              |  Frank Sinatra Rules  =