[comp.sys.amiga] DME

hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Doug Merritt) (06/26/87)

In article <4401@ihlpa.ATT.COM> qix@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Puckett) writes:
>I use DME exclusively now.  Although it lacks many of the features of
>microEMACS, it is extensible (perhaps if I had a full-blown EMACS...).
>    [...]     DME can be configured to fit my idiosyncracies, which
>makes it a lot more useful than any highly customized but closed editor.
>Also, DME is fairly small.

This is not intended as a flame, but I have some information about DME
that might make you think twice.

Initially I was very enthusiastic about DME, and started using it
exclusively, and I liked its features, and was willing to reserve
judgement about certain lacks, since Matt was creating updates.

But then I found that DME destroys some white space information that is
critical to some text files. It *always* optimizes white space into
either spaces or tabs (you can pick one or the other), and you can't
prevent this.

Thus, for instance, blanks at the end of lines in a UUENCODED file will
*always* be removed, which makes them impossible to decode correctly
until the blanks have been added back in using another editor. And programs
that have quoted strings containing literal blanks and tabs can be changed.
The latter caused one program that I edited and recompiled to misformat
columns that it printed.

I discussed this via email with Matt, and he says that 1) this behavior
is intrinsic to DME and only a total rewrite could fix it, and 2) for
his own reasons he thinks that this behavior is desirable.

I strongly disagree; I don't think that editors should feel free to
destroy information in text files. Matt on the other hand doesn't think
that files with UUENCODED information should be edited on the Amiga;
he says that he handles uuencodes on Unix and then downloads, so it's
not a problem for him. He didn't say what he does about white space in
quoted strings, but presumably he doesn't mind fixing formatting bugs
in programs caused by his editor.

There were some other things I was hoping to see as well, but they
were, I suppose, a matter of taste. Just for the record, I would be
delighted to see an editor that supports undo and full regular expression
search and replace.  The other issues that cause people to get into
religious wars aren't as important.

Meanwhile I have switched back to another editor that I enjoy less,
but at least can be trusted to handle my files safely. Anyone using
DME or considering using DME should decide whether this issue is
important to them *before* they get hopelessly hooked on it (the
transition was difficult, DME does have some nice features that I was
sad to give up).
	Doug Merritt		ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug

klm@munsell.UUCP (Kevin McBride) (06/30/87)

In article <8706260802.AA10341@ingres.Berkeley.EDU> hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Doug Merritt) writes:
>[...]
>Initially I was very enthusiastic about DME, and started using it...
>
>But then I found that DME destroys some white space information that is...
>
>I discussed this via email with Matt, and he says that 1) this behavior
>is intrinsic to DME and only a total rewrite could fix it, and 2) for
>his own reasons he thinks that this behavior is desirable.

		*VERY* important point here!

>I strongly disagree; I don't think that editors should feel free to...
>
>There were some other things I was hoping to see as well, but they
>were, I suppose, a matter of taste. Just for the record, I would be
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                   Also important!

>delighted to see an editor that supports undo and full regular expression
>search and replace...
>
>Meanwhile I have switched back to another editor that I enjoy less,
>but at least can be trusted to handle my files safely. Anyone using
>DME or considering using DME should decide whether this issue is
>important to them *before* they get hopelessly hooked on it (the
>transition was difficult, DME does have some nice features that I was
>sad to give up).

>	Doug Merritt		ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug

Well, Doug, I've said it before and I'll say it again, "When it comes to
editors, you use what you feel comfortable with."  This statement can also
be made to apply to spreadsheets, data bases and other such things that us
owners of the ultimate hacking machine aren't interested in.

If you don't like DME for some reason, that's your business.  Matt himself
described the reasons for the existence of DME in his v1.1 release notes
which I dug up from my archives yesterday.  He wrote it to suit his own
tastes because there wasn't anything else available that would do anything
close to what he wanted.  He found it to be useful and decided to share it
with the rest of the world.

If you don't like it, don't flame Matt, write your own editor.

If you were paying for DME, I could see your point, but since you're not,
you don't have much room to complain.

I personally don't like the MicroTrashmacs on the 1.2 Extras disk, but I'm
not going to complain about it too loudly because it was a "Freebie."  If I
had paid my unfriendly neighborhood computer store $150 bucks for it, I'd
be screaming my head off.

This posting comes with a double your money back guarantee.  Just remember
how much I charged you for it. :-) :-) :-) :-)

--
Kevin McBride         |Disclaimer:  These   | harvard -\
Eikonix - A Kodak Co. |  opinions are mine, | ll-xn ---adelie-----> munsell!klm

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (07/06/87)

I am a toolsmith and we are talking about religion here, although
this posting contains no heat!  Imagine!

klm@knopfler.UUCP (Kevin McBride) replied:
>If you don't like it, don't flame Matt, write your own editor.
>since you're not [paying for DME] you don't have much room to complain.

First, to Kevin and those netters who agreed with him -- an intrinsic
property of people who make tools (and share them) is that they want
as many people to use them as possible.  This goes for most software,
commercial or not.  I think Matt would rather have people say "I like
it but would like it more if it did this" rather than "I don't like it
and I'm not going to tell you why since it's your tool and you were
good enough to share it and it's not my right to complain about it"
or even "I love it, don't change a thing, it mirrors my mind exactly."

Secondly, to the net as a whole: what is life for if not to encourage
us to build better tools, in order that we can in turn build better
tools?  I say let's build great tools ... together if we can, alone
if we have to, but let's do it.

Thirdly, about editors - I agree with Doug on this one.  A text editor,
of ALL things, is too widely used by too many people for a designer
to envision all the possible uses.  It should be, among other things,
utterly predictable, and utterly safe with the text it is entrusted
with.  In the case of DME, I like the idea that Matt put in, but in
no way should it be the default - it should not even be settable
as a startup option, since the user will forget about it someday when
she goes to a new application of the editor (like editing uuencoded files).
Make it a menu selection or keyboard command or something.

Lastly, I have no interest in DME, and will not use it regardless of
the features that it has (no reflection on DME or Matt; I just don't
want to learn a new editor right now if it doesn't have any more power
than what I'm already using and can't run under Amiga, UN*X and VMS) --
but I was moved to reply to this exchange because a. it's bad to stifle
suggestions on how to make tools more usable, and b. text editors should
not automatically do ANYTHING to the text ``for'' me, and should not have
options to do so (automatically).  I would go to the extreme of saying that
if I create a file without a newline at the end, it should be written out
without a newline.  Almost no text editor passes this test (the editor I
use does, although there's a dastardly startup option to change this).

Remember SOS and TECO?  Everyone used their ``feature'' that you could
read in a file and write it back out -- even though you didn't tell the
editor to DO anything to the text, it would strip the extra CR's for you.
Handy but too dangerous for me.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

darcy.otto@canremote.uucp (DARCY OTTO) (07/14/90)

Could someone please give me an example of the keymappings they use for
Matt Dillon's DME editor?  It would be a real help, as I am kind
confused in some places, and I think another example (besides the one in
the documentation) could really help me out.

(Me) - darcy.otto@canremote.uucp
---