[comp.sys.amiga] On the lighter side...

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (07/12/90)

Just a little humorous realization I made this afternoon:

My client (I do contract s/w work) owns several (~50) PC's with Seagate drives
in them.  We've all heard the horror stories about locked-up Seagates...

Anyway, this guys say that it happens all the time, but it wouldn't prevent
him from buying Seagate again.  "Other than that," he says, "they're fine."

---------  OTHER THAN THAT?!?!?!?!?!

"Oh yes,"  he responded, "You just have to pop the case open and give it a
little spin.  Thay start right back up!"

I now know why IBM owners buy 10 year old technology after all...

Sheesh!

        ___  Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are not my own, but
AMIGA! ////  the property of some higher-up power, to which I am only a tool.
      ////     "Welcome, my son.  Welcome to the machine." -- Pink Floyd
___  //// "Reality is only a simulation, and it's still in beta testing." -- Me
\\\\////
 \\XX//            Greg Harp                greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (07/12/90)

In article <33854@ut-emx.UUCP> greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:
>Anyway, this guys say that it happens all the time, but it wouldn't prevent
>him from buying Seagate again.  "Other than that," he says, "they're fine."
>---------  OTHER THAN THAT?!?!?!?!?!

Sounds like the computer version of the joke that goes "Other than that
Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the show?"

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) in <33854@ut-emx.UUCP> writes about his
client having "locked-up Seagates..." who shrugs that problem off with the
(incredible to me) quote: "Other than that," he says, "they're fine." "Oh
yes," he responded, "You just have to pop the case open and give it a little
spin.  Thay start right back up!"

Yeah; right.  After cleaning up after a recent fire, the Maxtors, Connors
and Quantums started right up as if nothing had happened.  My (last) Seagate,
a ST-157N, wouldn't spin up.  11 drives and ALL 11 develop the same problem:
the non-spin (this includes ST-251 and ST157N drives).  Kinda leads me to
think that perhaps the "ST" in the Seagate product code number stands for:
                        ^^
                   Stops Turning

(You DON'T want to hear my OTHER choices for the meaning of ``ST'' :-)

Ripping-off the anti-static beryllium-copper tab with a pair of plumber's
pliers and twisting the (main) shaft with said pliers got the drive going
again.  That drive had stiction beyond belief; difficult to believe a tiny
3-1/2" drive could "glue" the heads so tightly in the park zone (this was
the first time it was powered down in a long time).

What with the hundreds of emails I received over the past several years
concerning Seagate drives and my own experiences with 11 different Seagate
drives, I'm wondering whether anyone has considered some kind of class-action
suit?

Or would pestering the FTC be more effective as it was against Radio Shack
circa 1972-1975 with their "500W" audio amps and nano-pico-femto-Watt
sensitivity FM tuners, forcing the FTC to institute new consumer protection
laws (with RS re-rating the same audio amps to 25W and tuners to 10milliWatt)?

Suffice it to say, Seagate is one company whose products I now avoid.  And
remember the posting by a VAR (not me) to comp.periphs a month ago expressing
concern the new Seagate logo on Imprimis drives would eat thru the case
bringing with it software rot and bit decay.  :-)

"---------  OTHER THAN THAT?!?!?!?!?!"

Sheesh.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.OZ (Ian Farquhar) (07/14/90)

In article <138793@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <33854@ut-emx.UUCP> greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:
>>Anyway, this guys say that it happens all the time, but it wouldn't prevent
>>him from buying Seagate again.  "Other than that," he says, "they're fine."
>>---------  OTHER THAN THAT?!?!?!?!?!

As we seem to be having a little fun with IBM users, let me tell you a
little story that happenned very recently.  It is absolutely true,
and only the names have been changed to protect the guilty.

I work in micro support, and often get some very amusing questions from
novice users.  One of these users acosted me outside my office one day
and told me that there was something wrong with his computer.

"Really," I said, trying to hide the resignation in my voice.  "What's
the problem?"

"Well, my computer is making a funny sound, and its not even turned on."

"Oh," I replied.  "That would be, er.. very interesting.  Let's go and
have a look."  We set off for his office.

As we were walking there I was pondering what he could be taking about.
Perhaps he meant that he had not loaded WINWORD yet, or the sound might
have been coming from his Postscript printer.  "What sound is it
making?" I asked.

"Sort of a burr... burr sound," he answered.

We got to his office, and I looked at the computer.  It was off.  I
looked at the printer.  I was off.  Then I looked at the phone, and put
it back on the hook.  The sound stopped....

God, it was hard not to laugh...

Ian Farquhar                           Phone : (612) 805-7420
Office of Computing Services           Fax   : (612) 805-7433
Macquarie University  NSW  2109        Also  : (612) 805-7205
Australia                              Telex : AA122377

ACSNet ifarqhar@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz.au  ifarqhar@mqccsuna.mqcc.mq.oz.au