[comp.sys.amiga] The A-590/2091 FFS problem - worse with partitions

jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) (07/14/90)

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:

>In article <38440@sequent.UUCP> cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "I'm Outta Here, Man!" Seaman) writes:
>>bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:
>>< Update Filesystems"- click this and then change the version number of the FFS
>>< from 0 to 1.

I am sure if my A590 was ever messing with location zero, but I changed version
from 0 to 1, and I know that it does not now change location 0.

I have had a LOT more compatibility problems since I partitioned my disk
into 2 10meg sections. Since then I have not been able to get MessyDIsk
to work, DNET crashes during startup, and a couple of program
that I wrote are flakier than I remember them being.

I have not had any problems with commercial software (I dont have much),
except BattleChess, becuase of some goofiness it requires that it be
in either DF0: or DH0: or it wont work (does not crash though)

>And what do you mean by "many" programs failing?  I never found any that
>actually died - most just exhibited that weird "gdos" string showing up or
>reported errors after they finished doing their jobs.  At any rate a program
>affected by a trashed location zero is itself buggy, usually because of trying
>to use an uninitialized pointer.

I get this alot too.