[comp.sys.amiga] Windows 3.0, SVGA Cards, and Amiga

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) (06/27/90)

><>
>Item:8966  About: Windows 3.0, SVGA Cards, and Amiga
>   What I envision is a simple hardware/software combination to allow
>IBM SVGA video cards to be used for Amiga programs.  A hardware card would
>be plugged into a Zorro slot inline with an IBM AT slot in place of
>a BridgeCard.  The hardware would be very simple, and would only have
>to map the Intel I/O and Main Memory maps into the Amiga's address
>space, which could be accomplished with a couple of PALs.  From there,
>software could be written to drive the SVGA video card from Amiga
>programs.

>   I actually started to work on developing this thing myself, but
>gave up after nearly completing the hardware because I realized that
>the software was completely beyond my ability to develop.  I would
>very much like for someone else to develop this thing, because it

Make a card Mark, (since you are almost done...) and I can write the
software to do the only thing such a system would be fast enough for ...
frame buffering..

But that is not an insult , it would be GREAT for that ...

Hmm.. all you need is a IFF shower, a GIF shower , a TURBO SILVER and SA4D
processor and QRT post ability.

Ill do the library so that C programs can get to it.

Just send me a card (grin)..

========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]========
= "The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a    =
= soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with     =
= an idea." - computer saying. (from The Wizardry Compiled by Rick Cook)   =
============= Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ==================
= NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by either             =
= Xanadu Enterpises or its clients, AT&T Bell Labs or others.              =
==== The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(2400) / 201-759-8568(PEP) ====

LEEK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (06/27/90)

In article <22824@snow-white.udel.EDU>, BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc
Barrett) says:
>IBM SVGA video cards to be used for Amiga programs.  A hardware card would
>be plugged into a Zorro slot inline with an IBM AT slot in place of
>a BridgeCard.  The hardware would be very simple, and would only have
>to map the Intel I/O and Main Memory maps into the Amiga's address
>space, which could be accomplished with a couple of PALs.  From there,
>software could be written to drive the SVGA video card from Amiga
>programs.

Yeap.  Pretty simple stuff.  Make it an autoconfig device when you
are done debugging the hardware.  Hope the SVGA you are thinking of
can do some BITBLT stuff.  (Some of the higher end SVGA have some
primitive form of BITBLT hardware to speed things up.)

>   I actually started to work on developing this thing myself, but
>gave up after nearly completing the hardware because I realized that
>the software was completely beyond my ability to develop.  I would
>very much like for someone else to develop this thing, because it
>offers a far greater solution to the Amiga's total lack of high-
>resolution non-interlaced color video than the HAM-E, FireCracker, or
>anything else yet developed.  It would actually allow the Amiga to
>start to seriously compete against the MAC II or PC's equipped with
>such video cards.
>

>                               -MB-

2 solutions:

1. Hire someone to do the software.  Make the graphics routines into a
   library.

2. Get the hardware fully up and running.  Include a minimum set of
   debugging routines to test out the hardware.  Document the project
   and put it out in Public Domain/freely redistributable with Copyright.
   I am sure there are enough software persons on the network that would
   write software for it if the hardware is worth the effort.

I hope you would stick to a good SVGA card that at least implement some
form of blitter function (or ones that uses the TI/Hitachi graphics chip
set.)  Don't settle for a card just because it is cheap.  I have read there
is a new chip set out that implements 8514 standard.

Personally I would wait for C= for a new Custom chip set.  If you can't
wait, go ahead make you card...  If you have problems with software/
hardware, just ask nicely.  Don't start flaming about C= or making rude
comments about the Amiga that doesn't have anything to do with your
questions.  It is probably worth while to make friends with people on the
net by keeping your mouth shut unless really necessary.  Sometime the same
people whom you annoy might be the ones that can answer you technical
question.

K. C. Lee

Another friendly message to cool off network flames.....  No harm intented

stelmack@sunrise.ec.usf.edu (Gregory Stelmack) (06/27/90)

As a person who installed/used MS Windows 3.0 during a co-op term, I would
like to say that I found it difficult to use. I found very few programs that
would run under it without extensive setups/initializations (under Windows).
Even as a programmer, I had a lot of trouble using it, unlike Intuition,
which is very Intuitive (sorry). Unless major changes have happened in the last
few months, the Amiga still has an infinitely simpler interface.

-- Greg Stelmack
-- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu or stelmack@sunrise.ec.usf.edu
-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
-- Amiga: the only way to compute!

gpsteffl@sunee.waterloo.edu (Glenn Patrick Steffler) (06/28/90)

In article <28@sunrise.ec.usf.edu> stelmack@sunrise.UUCP (Gregory Stelmack (CS)) writes:
>As a person who installed/used MS Windows 3.0 during a co-op term, I would
>like to say that I found it difficult to use. I found very few programs that
>would run under it without extensive setups/initializations (under Windows).

What programs were these specifically.  Of the programs I have set up and
used under Win3, Excel, WinWord, and Corel Draw all have extensive setup
programs which manage the *.ini settings and fonts, etc.

On my Amiga at home, I find that many/most applications must be hand
copied, and the appropriate defines made in startup.sequence or my alias
files such that these programs even load.

>Even as a programmer, I had a lot of trouble using it, unlike Intuition,
>which is very Intuitive (sorry). Unless major changes have happened in the last
>few months, the Amiga still has an infinitely simpler interface.

Have you got the Win3.0 SDK?  Programming in windows is much simpler IMHO
than Intuition.  Printing is MUCH easier to manage, the video display is
handled automatically for you...dialogs are few mouse strokes away with
the dialog editor...the applications like SPY and HEAPWALK which watch the
windows environment for you are incredibly usefull!

I qualify my statements with the fact that I have done considerably more
programming for Windows than the Amiga.  However, I do have a good
grasp of Intuition programming anyway.

>-- Greg Stelmack
>-- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu or stelmack@sunrise.ec.usf.edu
>-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
>-- Amiga: the only way to compute!

Win3: The better way to compute! :-)
--
Co-Op Scum - U of Loo '91             "Bo doesn't know software" - George Brett

"Pins & needles, needles & pins...we pay for our sins" - Glenn Patrick Steffler
"Driving like the demon that drives our dreams" - Hardcastle & McCormick

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (06/29/90)

In article <28@sunrise.ec.usf.edu> stelmack@sunrise.ec.usf.edu (Gregory Stelmack) says:
> As a person who installed/used MS Windows 3.0 during a co-op term, I would
> like to say that I found it difficult to use. I found very few programs that
> would run under it without extensive setups/initializations (under Windows).
> Even as a programmer, I had a lot of trouble using it, unlike Intuition,
> which is very Intuitive (sorry). Unless major changes have happened in the last>
> few months, the Amiga still has an infinitely simpler interface.

It's true, the setup process is a pain. But once you know what progs you
can multitaks with and once your setups are all done, it is, as I said,
fairly close to the Amiga's interface.

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (06/29/90)

In article <90178.101125LEEK@QUCDN.BITNET> LEEK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA says:

> In article <22824@snow-white.udel.EDU>, BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc
> Barrett) says:
> >   I actually started to work on developing this thing myself, but
> >gave up after nearly completing the hardware because I realized that
> >the software was completely beyond my ability to develop.  I would
> >very much like for someone else to develop this thing, because it
> >offers a far greater solution to the Amiga's total lack of high-

Waaah! Somebody help this man!!!!!

> Personally I would wait for C= for a new Custom chip set.  If you can't

I've heard that for several years already. Remember the first rumors about
high-resolution or 24 bit graphic cards?

--
------------------------------------

Johannes.Mistelbauer@p0.f3.n313.z2.FIDONET.ORG (Johannes Mistelbauer) (07/03/90)

In an article of <26 Jun 90 04:33:56 GMT>, BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu
(Marc Barrett) writes:

 MB>    The newest version of Windows from MicroSoft poses a greater danger
 MB> to the Amiga than most people believe.  This is the very first release
 MB> of
 MB> a product from Microsoft that can touch the Amiga in multitasking and
 MB> ease-of-use, and it comes close in many ways.

Ease-of-use yes, but its multitasking is _really_ weak. I just installed it on my BBS machine and played a little with it, but lost characters from
the serial port when moving windows. With Windows 3.0 you will need a 25 MHz
386 to get the multitasking performance of an amiga.

 MB>    I actually started to work on developing this thing myself, but
 MB> gave up after nearly completing the hardware because I realized that
 MB> the software was completely beyond my ability to develop.  I would

It would be nice, if you could send me the connection diagram of your
board. A friend and I just started such a project and my part is to develop the hardware. But I am not very familiar with Zorro II and such things and
I don't want an dead amiga :-).

We thought of a new driver, similar to CON and RAW so that you can open
a new window VGA:0/0/640/480, but it would be text-only. I am not sure
if you could patch Intuition to run on such a card.

Ok, here's my address: Johannes Mistelbauer
                       Josef Klieberstr.36
                       A 2500 Baden b. Wien
                       Austria / Europe
                       Tel. 0043-2252-44027 (BBS)

Thanks in advance,
Johannes

--

   Johannes Mistelbauer
   Gated via FidoNet node 2:310/1 (His Master's Voice [Eur/Aut/Vie])

Rick_R_Kitts@cup.portal.com (07/08/90)

> With Windows 3.0 you will need a 25MHz 386 to get the multitasking
> performance of an Amiga.

 Hah! I wish it were so. I use a 25MHz 386 at work. Amiga like in its
performance it is not.

---Rick

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (07/10/90)

In article <7937.2691387B@voice> Johannes.Mistelbauer@p0.f3.n313.z2.FIDONET.ORG (Johannes Mistelbauer) says:
> Ease-of-use yes, but its multitasking is _really_ weak. I just installed it on > my BBS machine and played a little with it, but lost characters from
> the serial port when moving windows. With Windows 3.0 you will need a 25 MHz
> 386 to get the multitasking performance of an amiga.

...the prices of which are coming down more and more. I've seen an ad for a
486 (yes), 25 Mhz, with 1025x768 and so on for about 5300.- US$.

> It would be nice, if you could send me the connection diagram of your
> board. A friend and I just started such a project and my part is to develop the>  hardware. But I am not very familiar with Zorro II and such things and
> I don't want an dead amiga :-).
>
> We thought of a new driver, similar to CON and RAW so that you can open
> a new window VGA:0/0/640/480, but it would be text-only. I am not sure
> if you could patch Intuition to run on such a card.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Do it! If I were a good programmer I'd offer you my help (but
I'm not, sigh :-)

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com
"Justice is the possession and doing
of what one is entitled to" - Platon
------------------------------------

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (07/10/90)

Are you saying that it doesn't hold up to the Amiga's multitasking abilities,
or that it surpasses them???

And if you're saying it surpasses them, then to which model Amiga are you
refering?

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)

Rick_R_Kitts@cup.portal.com (07/15/90)

> [What did I say about the Amiga vs. Windows 3.0???]

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Windows3.0 does not come close to the speed and
effectivness of the Amiga from a multitasking point of view. Thats what
I meant.

---Rick