[comp.sys.amiga] GEOS on Amiga '64 emulator?

anderson@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson) (07/10/90)

	Yeesh! Only a person with a sick need to compute would even try to
do this... but thats me... I purchased ReadySofts '64 emulator in order
to retain my 8 bit prowess and general family Guru-ship in providing assistance
to all my 64 using relatives.  I know, I know, it is slower (!) than a
64 and not fully compatible... given that, I don't have any complaints...
......however I thought it was able to run Geos, something I used to
use a lot, and for which I have a ton of software and files.  Has anyone done
this? Can it be done?  Also, can anyone tell me anything about Go-64
(availability, price, compatibility... `)

	Thanks&shalom,

		Joel.

(An interesting aside: I have never been so aggresively lobbied by
retailers NOT to buy a product as when I was shopping for the 64 Emulator.
I mean  I KNEW it was an imperfect and slower rendition of the 64 - but
>I< wanted it... one clerk said, "Well, we'll order it for you, but only
if you promise not to bring it back" [I did not buy it from him]).

[also: does anyone know how beefed up your Amiga must be to make this
thing run FASTER than a real 64?]

"We know only the strong will survive, But the meek will inherit.
 So if you've got a coat of arms, oh friend, I suggest we wear it."
					John Mellencamp.
  joel.anderson@StPaul.NCR.COM   |WELL:  jpa@well.sf.ca.us
     Joel Peter Anderson         |GEnie: J.ANDERSON71 (I think)
  NCR Comten / Software engineer |PNET: jpa@pnet51.cts.com

bjh@cbnewsj.att.com (bernard.j.hudson) (07/12/90)

>In Article 3135 of comp.sys.cbm:
>From: anderson@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson)

>Is 64 Emulator II (Readysoft) able to run Geos, something I used to
>use a lot, and for which I have a ton of software and files.
>Also, can anyone tell me anything about Go-64 V2 (SSI) ?

Version 2 of both emulators are now available for about $40-$60 and
include a cable to connect a 1541 to the parallel port of the Amiga.
Make sure to specify A1000 or A2000/A500 to get the right cable.
They are really most useful for the transfer of files C64 <-> Amiga.
Most folks agree it is best to just keep a C64 or SX-64 around.
Anyway...

- Unusable: sound, telecom, most games with sprites or fast action
+ Copy-protection is not a major problem when using a 1541
+ GEOS works with 64 Emulator including RAM-disk emulation; GO-64 ?
- 64 Emulator takes over the Amiga and is heavily copy protected
+ GO-64 V2 is not copy-protected, runs under AmigaDOS, but hogs the
  whole machine while it is activated
+ 64 Emulator works with 1541/71/81, but can also use Amiga drive
  for 1581 disks (read-only) and emulated drives.
- GO-64 requires a 1541/71/81 to be connected
+ Supports C-64 and Amiga printers with special utilities
- 64 Emulator is 50-60% speed on GEOS in simple display mode. Fails on 68020
+ 64 Emulator support for Amiga drives speeds disk accesses
+ GO-64 claims >100% speed with 68020 32-bit RAM. Only uses slow 1541/71/81.

2nd Question: Yes, Q-Link has some C-64 graphic conversion routines.

Hope this helps. I am not connected with either product or company. ....BJ

bjh@mtgzz.ATT.COM

johnb@mqcomp.mqcc.mq.OZ (John Baird) (07/15/90)

In article <134@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> joel.anderson@.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson) writes:

>......however I thought it was able to run Geos, something I used to
>use a lot, and for which I have a ton of software and files.  Has anyone done
>this? Can it be done?  Also, can anyone tell me anything about Go-64
>(availability, price, compatibility... `)

	You need geos v1.3, in v2.0 the copy protection stuffs it up.  As you
can't copy though, you will need to run it off a commydoor64 disk drive.
Go-64 can be gotten from creative computing for about $9.

						John Gardner
						johng@cavs.dwt.oz.au