[comp.sys.amiga] Hard Drive backup programs

deva@cup.portal.com (David Michael Alves) (10/25/89)

Anyone see EZ-Backup from EZ Soft yet?  (Advertised in Amazing Computing,
Oct 89, page 96)  It's advertised as the best and fastest backup program
on the market.  Comments?

-----
                          _____   ____
David Alves              |     \ |     \      / /\
Deva Software            |      ||_____ \    / /  \
(408)997-1747            |      ||       \  / /    \
deva@cup.portal.com      |_____/ |_______ \/ /      \ SOFTWARE

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (06/27/90)

In article <1247@eastman.UUCP> harding%b56vxg.dnet@kodak.com (Jon Harding x75944 mc23302) says:
> 	I use Quarterback faithfully and often. It does more than I require
> 	and is user friendly. I've used each version since 1.0 (latest 4.0).
> 	Yes, there are PD "backups" out there but I always come back to
> 	QB. Well worth the price and support is good. When I had a problem
> 	I talked with the gentleman who wrote it to get a solution.

So could you please tell the gentlemen that it's high time to include a
good compression algorithm? But please, include a check if the compressed
files are larger than the original version (Saf-T-Net doesn't do it and is
mainly because of that no alternative to Quaterback).

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

kosma%human-torch@stc.lockheed.com (Monty Kosma) (06/30/90)

   From: Chris Brand <wizard@sosaria.imp.com>
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
   Date: 27 Jun 90 16:58:14 GMT
   Sender: amiga-relay-request@udel.edu

   In article <1247@eastman.UUCP> harding%b56vxg.dnet@kodak.com (Jon Harding x75944 mc23302) says:
   > 	I use Quarterback faithfully and often. It does more than I require
   > 	and is user friendly. I've used each version since 1.0 (latest 4.0).
   > 	Yes, there are PD "backups" out there but I always come back to
   > 	QB. Well worth the price and support is good. When I had a problem
   > 	I talked with the gentleman who wrote it to get a solution.

   So could you please tell the gentlemen that it's high time to include a
   good compression algorithm? But please, include a check if the compressed
   files are larger than the original version (Saf-T-Net doesn't do it and is
   mainly because of that no alternative to Quaterback).

   --
   ------------------------------------
   Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com
   "Justice is the possession and doing
   of what one is entitled to" - Platon
   ------------------------------------

I have been using the newer (but I think there's an even newer ver 4.0) ver
of MRBackup, and have been very pleased with it.  It uses a unix-like
compress utility to do compression.  I haven't run into any limitations
that hindered my backups (other than running out of floppies :-)

monty

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (07/02/90)

I too have been a faithful user of QB but agree with the QB author
about not using compression.  Why - backup speed primarily.  My time
is worth more than the costs of a few disks.  Now if compression were
made optional with no loss of backup speed perhaps that would be ok
but all the compression algorithms are computationally intensive and I
suspect that backup/recovery time would more than double.  Think about
it, is your time worth more than $5 per hour - mine sure is
particuarly when the time is spent stuffing disks into my computer.
Got to be the most boring thing around!
--
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
                     | OR {sun,hplabs}!sytek!syteke!jim
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim
Brussels
--

fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) (07/03/90)

In article <1143@syteke.be> jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>I too have been a faithful user of QB but agree with the QB author
>about not using compression.  Why - backup speed primarily.  My time
>is worth more than the costs of a few disks.  Now if compression were
>made optional with no loss of backup speed perhaps that would be ok
>but all the compression algorithms are computationally intensive and I
>suspect that backup/recovery time would more than double.  Think about
>it, is your time worth more than $5 per hour - mine sure is
>particuarly when the time is spent stuffing disks into my computer.

I used to feel the same way also, which is why BRU wasn't designed
to support compressed files from the beginning.  I figured it would
be too slow to be usable.  Finally, the marketing guys convinced me
that transparent file compression was something that we had to add to
the product, regardless of how slow it might be.  So it eventually
got put in, and much to my surprise, I find myself using it almost
ALL the time.

But then again, I hardly ever sit around twiddling my thumbs while
a backup is in progress, and the computer generally doesn't complain
about taking 2-3 times as long to do a backup.  With an even more
capable processor, the compression time almost becomes negligible
(on a fast 88000 system with 24Mb of ram, BRU can almost keep
a 1/4 inch tape streaming with compression turned on).  Of course,
it also helps to have something more capable than floppies to
back up to.  On my 2500 I just load up both 150Mb tape drives
and start a backup before going to bed ...  :-)

-Fred

--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048               asuvax!mcdphx!fishpond!fnf

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (07/06/90)

In article <23201@snow-white.udel.EDU> kosma%human-torch@stc.lockheed.com (Monty Kosma) says:

> I have been using the newer (but I think there's an even newer ver 4.0) ver
> of MRBackup, and have been very pleased with it.  It uses a unix-like
> compress utility to do compression.  I haven't run into any limitations
> that hindered my backups (other than running out of floppies :-)
>
> monty

Yes, but does it still use the normal Amiga file system? I just don't want
to wait 10 minutes for one disk being filled!

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com
"Justice is the possession and doing
of what one is entitled to" - Platon
------------------------------------

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (07/12/90)

[woof!]

In article <3240.AA3240@sosaria> wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:
[[ RE: MRBackup ]]

|Yes, but does it still use the normal Amiga file system? I just don't want
|to wait 10 minutes for one disk being filled!

     Yes, it does use the standard file system.  However, it still takes
a while to fill a floppy; due to the compression, I think.  The
commercial programs are certainly faster.  MRBackup does it's job well,
though, and is pretty reliable.  The author is very good about fixing
bugs.  He's on the net here, somewhere, so you can e-mail him if you
have a problem.

|Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

                                    --dds

Hark! Hark! The dogs do bark,       | Dale D. Snell       BIX:  ddsnell
The Duke is fond of kittens.        | Usenet:  dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM
He likes to turn their insides out, | C$erve:  74756.666@compuserve.COM
And use their fur for mittens!      | What's a disclaimer?

nraoaoc@nmt.edu (NRAO Array Operations Center) (07/12/90)

In article <3497@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM> dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) writes:
>[woof!]
>
>In article <3240.AA3240@sosaria> wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:
>[[ RE: MRBackup ]]
>|
>|Yes, but does it still use the normal Amiga file system? I just don't want
>|to wait 10 minutes for one disk being filled!
>
>     Yes, it does use the standard file system.  However, it still takes
>a while to fill a floppy; due to the compression, I think.  The

Actually compression is an option in MRBackup.  Choose the number of bits
(amount of computing) or none.  After one long night backing up a 20meg
partition with compression on, I decided I agree with a recent writer here -
I would rather use a few more floppies and do no compression.

Pat Palmer

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (07/12/90)

Just for grins and giggles check this out :
	Workbench 2.0 includes BRU the Backup and Restore Utility
	that Fred Fish developed. So now you get a backup utility
	standard with the system. I'm still waiting for the docs
	that tell me how to redirect it to the tape drive I have
	attached (which _sorta_ works if you don't stream it too
	hard.)

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

bbaker@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Baker) (07/12/90)

In article <138791@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
> Just for grins and giggles check this out :
> 	Workbench 2.0 includes BRU the Backup and Restore Utility
> 	that Fred Fish developed. So now you get a backup utility
> 	standard with the system. I'm still waiting for the docs
> 	that tell me how to redirect it to the tape drive I have
> 	attached (which _sorta_ works if you don't stream it too
> 	hard.)

Check Appendix C of the manul that should have been packed with your
A3000... "Using The System Software"...  Basically you need to edit the
BRUTab file located in your S: directory. If you have any problems using
the backup via HDBackup, try using BRU directly at the Shell level.

> --
> --Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
> uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
> These opinions are my own and no one elses, but you knew that didn't you.
> "I tell you this parrot is bleeding deceased!"

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (07/14/90)

(I made some comment about BRU and Bob replies : )

In article <13168@cbmvax.commodore.com> bbaker@cbmvax (Bob Baker) writes:
>Check Appendix C of the manul that should have been packed with your
>A3000... "Using The System Software"...  Basically you need to edit the
>BRUTab file located in your S: directory. If you have any problems using
>the backup via HDBackup, try using BRU directly at the Shell level.

But Bob, being a developer all I got were the 2.0 disks "Workbench", "Extras"
and "Kickit". I've never even _seen_ a hardcopy manual. Do you think you
could mention this condition (since undoubtedly I'm not the only one in
it) to the powers that be?

--

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (07/14/90)

>In article <3512@crash.cts.com> danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann) writes:
>
>	 Have any of you guys tried using QuaterBack?
>	 I use it once a month and it works just fine. The only thing a dislike
>is that if you want to restore a file from an archive to floppy, you need 2
>drives.

Not true!!!!

Quarterback works just fine with only one drive (altho 2 drives definately
make life easier!)

As a matter of fact, the new 4.0 release adds several new features that
would make 1 drive operations easier. One is a "fuel gage" (my words, not
theirs) that indicates how full a disk is getting. When it is near
"full", you can be ready with another disk.

There are other new features such as the report now contains the
disk numbers that the files are on. You can run a seperate "verify"
pass to see if your disks are ok. On two drive systems, it beeps when
a disk is done, not when it needs a new disk. You can print a catalog from
a backup set. Plus bug fixes and other features.

The upgrade is only $10.00 and your original Quarterback disk. I got
mine back in about a week.

Send to: Central Coast Software
	 424 Vista Av.
	 Goldon, CO 80401

	 (303)-526-1030

> ProLine: DanB20@pro-graphics		  ************************
>    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!DanB20   *  Daniel G. Bachmann  *
>ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!DanB20@nosc.mil   ************************
>Internet: danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com	or  ak032@cleveland.Freenet.Edu
>U.S.mail: 509 StonyBrook Drive, Bridgewater, NJ, 08807 USA

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey	 |  In Texas: {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group | The World: dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (amdahl!dwl10)
      Houston, TX	 |

danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann) (07/14/90)

alfredo@ajahnv.lonestar.org (Alfredo Jahn V) (07/16/90)

>In article <3512@crash.cts.com> danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann) writes:
>
>    Have any of you guys tried using QuaterBack?
>    I use it once a month and it works just fine. The only thing a dislike
>is that if you want to restore a file from an archive to floppy, you need 2
>drives.

Quarterback *IS* a Hard Disk backup program....  Why not create a temp
directory on your hard disk and restore it to it, then copy that directory
to your floppy drive.  I know, its a hassel but it works.  How often do
you use floppies?  I only use 'em for backing up my hard disk....  Another
thing you might try is to create an 880K partition on your hard disk
and assign df1: to it.  (I think Dillon has something that lets you
mount a partition using the trackdisk.device, or someting like that...)
I forget right now.  Later

 - alfredo

--------------------------------//----------------------------------------
 Alfredo Jahn V                //   Internet: alfredo@ajahnv.lonestar.org
 3208 Cole Ave., #1303     \\ //    UUCP:     texbell!ajahnv!alfredo
 Dallas, Texas 75204  USA   \X/     Voice:    +1 214 855-1316

mlelstv@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (07/16/90)

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:

>In article <23201@snow-white.udel.EDU> kosma%human-torch@stc.lockheed.com (Monty Kosma) says:

>> I have been using the newer (but I think there's an even newer ver 4.0) ver
>> of MRBackup, and have been very pleased with it.  It uses a unix-like
>> compress utility to do compression.
>Yes, but does it still use the normal Amiga file system? I just don't want
>to wait 10 minutes for one disk being filled!

I takes about 1.5 minutes to fill a disk through the file system
and about 50 seconds to do it through the disk driver (aka trackdisk.device).
It is a little slower (<2.5 minutes) if you do not add more disk buffers
to the file system.

Michael van Elst
p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de