[comp.sys.amiga] Calculus programs?

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (AmigaMan) (07/03/90)

Does anyone know of any good Calculus programs for the Ami?  They need to be
college-level calc.

Many thanks,
AMH
* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!|        ///
* Indiana University |-----------------------------------|       ///
*++Construction++++++|   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |   \\\///
*+++++++Zone+++++++++|   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |    \XX/

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (07/03/90)

In article <49597@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (AmigaMan) writes:
> Does anyone know of any good Calculus programs for the Ami?  They need to be
> college-level calc.
>
> Many thanks,
> AMH
> * Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!|        ///

I've tried getting information like this twice here on comp.sys.amiga, and
also on CIS with no luck at all. The answer seems to be to buy a good
calculator and Schwaums' College Guide and start studying. If you hear
anything new I'm still interested.

There was one good program mentioned .... for the PC :-(, but I can't remember
the name. Is this a startling discovery, people buy Macs and PC's because
there is software available?

---Mike

--
A man said to the Universe "Sir, I exist!" | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
"However," replied the Universe,           | DLA Systems Automation Center

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/04/90)

     The only one I am aware of is Calculus by TrueBasic co.
 They haven't supported the program much since they released it though.
THey are up to version 3.0 on MS-DOS, 1.0 on the Amiga.
     From what I've heard, it does the basic stuff though, like limits,
graphing, L'Hopital's, etc...
                                 Jason

In article <2286@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil> nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) writes:
>In article <49597@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (AmigaMan) writes:
>> Does anyone know of any good Calculus programs for the Ami?  They need to be
>> college-level calc.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> AMH
>> * Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!|        ///
>
>I've tried getting information like this twice here on comp.sys.amiga, and
>also on CIS with no luck at all. The answer seems to be to buy a good
>calculator and Schwaums' College Guide and start studying. If you hear
>anything new I'm still interested.

I thought Maple had been ported to the Amiga?  You couldn't ask
for much more power in a symbolic math package.

>There was one good program mentioned .... for the PC :-(, but I can't remember
>the name. Is this a startling discovery, people buy Macs and PC's because
>there is software available?

I love straight lines like this!!  I'll say it again; prevent
piracy of Amiga software without the current obnoxious "copy
protection" methods, and you make the Amiga look like ten times
the market its installed base would indicate, making it look
comparable to the PC and bigger than the Mac to the developer,
so you get more good software ported and more new software
developed.  This helps everyone except the competition and the
pirates.

Kent, the man from xanth.

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (07/04/90)

In article <46200093@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>     The only one I am aware of is Calculus by TrueBasic co.
>They haven't supported the program much since they released it though.
>     From what I've heard, it does the basic stuff though, like limits,
>graphing, L'Hopital's, etc...
     It doesn't do anything on an Amiga with 68010, 68020, or 68030.
Software failure.
     (Yes, I have the misfortunte to own TrueBasic. I had to buy it for
a class. Fortunately, I got it cheap.)
     It's also very slow and doesn't support _any_ of the Amiga's features
which cannot be emulated on an IBM easily. This means no sound support (past
a single, tinny, PC-emulating channel), no SPRITE or BOB support, poor
windowing support, no system pull-down menus, etc. Really a waste of time.
                                                    - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti | Editor: LOW ORBIT Science and Fiction | PLink: Skywise |
| Elfinkind, Unite!  | phoenix@ms.uky.edu  |  phoenix%ms.uky.edu@ukcc.bitnet  |

garyw@ncuug.UUCP (Gary Whicker) (07/05/90)

 I have used MATHCAD on my bridgeboard for studying calculus as well as
helping with graphing and the like. It would be really nice if we had something
like that on the Amiga...

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) (07/05/90)

In article <2286@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil> nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) writes:
>In article <49597@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (AmigaMan) writes:
>> Does anyone know of any good Calculus programs for the Ami?  They need to be
>> college-level calc.
>I've tried getting information like this twice here on comp.sys.amiga, and
>also on CIS with no luck at all. The answer seems to be to buy a good
>calculator and Schwaums' College Guide and start studying. If you hear
>anything new I'm still interested.

The University of Waterloo has a program called Maple for symbolic
computation.  It can do integration, differentiation, etc.  It's very
powerful and there's a version out for the Amiga.  If anyone is
interested I can find out the email address to use to get more info.

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (07/05/90)

In article <46200093@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>      The only one I am aware of is Calculus by TrueBasic co.
>  They haven't supported the program much since they released it though.

I've probably asked this before but don't remember the answer if I got
one.

Does the True Basic Calculus program require True Basic's Basic, or
any Basic for that matter. I've never heard much good about this
program but for approx. $40 it might be worth a try.

---Mike,

--
A man said to the Universe "Sir, I exist!" | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
"However," replied the Universe,           | DLA Systems Automation Center
"The fact has not created in me a          | Columbus, Ohio
sense of obligation."- Stephen Crane       | mfigg@dsac.dla.mil  CIS: 73777,360

ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) (07/17/90)

xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>I thought Maple had been ported to the Amiga?  You couldn't ask
>for much more power in a symbolic math package.
[stuff deleted]
>Kent, the man from xanth.
><xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>

 Is there anybody already USING Maple (V4.0 ?). Is this Canadian Math Prog
 available and for reasonable price ?
 How about the Memory they need or Harddrives ?
 Any Experiences ?
 All I read about Maple on Amiga was the advertisment in the Docs for
 Maple on the last Page...

 CU, Markus.
   Markus Illenseer                           I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.
                            /|  /|  |                    Odyssee 2001, Clarke
     4790 Paderborn        / | / |  |
      United Germay       /  |/  |  |       Email: ill@saturn.uni-paderborn.de

chm@nugodot.think.com (Christopher Marshall) (07/17/90)

In article <1990Jul16.185344.4787@uni-paderborn.de> ill@uni-paderborn.de
(Markus Illenseer) writes:
     Is there anybody already USING Maple (V4.0 ?)?

*I have been using Maple version 4.2 on my A1000 for the past few years.

     Is this Canadian Math Prog available and for reasonable price ?

*Yes.  The price quoted in a recent posting to the net by Eric Giguere was
Can $475 for 1 CPU.  Site licenses and academic/institutional discounts are
available as well.

     How about the Memory they need or Harddrives ?

*You'll need at least 1Mb of memory and about 10Mb of hard disk space and
AmigaOS 1.2 or later.

     Any Experiences ?
*With 2.5Mb of memory on my A1000 I was able to perform many real
calculations with Maple.  Maple was designed for efficient use of system
resources and it shows in speed and the relatively low memory usage.  Other
symbolic algebra packages can require upwards of 3Mb just to "boot" and
more if you actually want to do a calculation!  I have been very happy with
Maple and am looking forward to the next released version of Maple for the
Amiga (4.4!).  I think Maple+ AmigaOS 2.0 will be a powerful
combination...I'm saving already for my A3000.

Note:  as with all computationally intensive programs, the faster the CPU
the better the performance.  That is one of the reasons I am upgrading to
the A3000.

     All I read about Maple on Amiga was the advertisment in the Docs for
          Maple on the last Page...

*Well worth getting if you have a use for powerful symbolic algebra at home
on your PC.  For more information, please contact:

     	  Joyce Brennan, Distribution
    |\^/|      Waterloo Maple Software
._|\|   |/|_.  160 Columbia St. West
 \  MAPLE  /   Waterloo, Ontario