[comp.sys.amiga] FFS on Floppies in 2.0

dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dan Cogswell) (07/14/90)

Simple question:

How do you format a floppy with FFS in 2.0??

--
Dan Cogswell                          "In a world full of Ninja Turtles, it's
INET: dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu    nice to see Aikido Yoshinkai has

jjszucs@cbmvax.commodore.com (John J. Szucs) (07/14/90)

In article <2060@vela.acs.oakland.edu> dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dan Cogswell) writes:
>Simple question:
>
>How do you format a floppy with FFS in 2.0??

To format an FFS floppy under 2.0:

FORMAT DRIVE <drive> NAME <name> FFS

For example, to format the floppy in drive DF0: under FFS with the name
"Data":

FORMAT DRIVE DF0: NAME "Data" FFS

>--
>Dan Cogswell                          "In a world full of Ninja Turtles, it's
>INET: dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu    nice to see Aikido Yoshinkai has
>BITNET:  dlcogswell@oakland            preserved it's dignity."
>HAIRNET: <fill-in dumb joke>                           -- Gozo Shioda, 1990

|| John J. Szucs                    || The opinions expressed are my own and  ||
|| Systems Evaluation Group         || in no way represent the opinions or    ||
|| Product Assurance Department     || policies of Commodore Technology, Inc. ||
|| Commodore Technology, Inc.       || or any associated entity.              ||
...{rutgers|uunet|pyramid}!cbmvax!jjszucs

In <24729@estelle.udel.EDU>, new@udel.EDU (Darren New) writes:
>>>To format an FFS floppy under 2.0:
>
>Speaking of which:
>Has 2.0 changed the layout of FFS or OFS partitions enough to
>mess up software like disk optimizers?  I have a backup
>program I've written that relies on some of the (as of 1.2)
>undocumented disk structure like directory header block
>formats and such.  Other than questions of initial placements,
>will this still work under FFS2.0?    -- Darren

There is one new kind of header block, the link. You will have to take that
into account. The primary type (longword $02) is $00000002, the secondary type
(longword $7F) if $FFFFFFFC, and the link is stored in longword $75. The real
directory header has what looks like a link count in longword $75.
This info is for hard links; no idea what a soft link will look like.

If you are depending too heavily on things undocumented, you could get into
difficulty. Best way I found was to use the FIB for all information.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (07/16/90)

On 13 Jul 90 20:36:17 GMT you said:
>In article <2060@vela.acs.oakland.edu> dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dan
> Cogswell) writes:
>>Simple question:
>>
>>How do you format a floppy with FFS in 2.0??
>
>To format an FFS floppy under 2.0:
>
>FORMAT DRIVE <drive> NAME <name> FFS

     Shouldn't FFS be DEFAULT?

>jjszucs@cbmvax.commodore.com

 --------
      F. Michael Theilig  -  The University of Rhode Island at Little Rest
                            GWO110 at URIACC.Bitnet
                            GKZ117 at URIACC.Bitnet

"Gooooood coffee."

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (07/16/90)

jjszucs@cbmvax.commodore.com (John J. Szucs) (07/16/90)

In article <24692@snow-white.udel.EDU> GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu
(F. Michael Theilig) writes:
>     Shouldn't FFS be DEFAULT?
>
> --------
>      F. Michael Theilig  -  The University of Rhode Island at Little Rest
>                            GWO110 at URIACC.Bitnet
>                            GKZ117 at URIACC.Bitnet
>
>"Gooooood coffee."

FFS is not the default for FORMAT for compatibility, which was one of our
highest priorities throughout the development of 2.0. From Kickstart/Workbench
1.0 onward, a floppy formatted on any Amiga running any version of the
operating system has been readable by any other Amiga running any other
version of the operating system. By using FFS as a default, this floppy
compatibility would be lost unless the user specifically asked for it.

If you want a quick and easy way to format floppies under FFS, I'd suggest
using an alias like:

alias fformat "format [] ffs"

	jjszucs

In article <24729@estelle.udel.EDU> new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) writes:

>I have a backup program I've written that relies on some of the (as of 1.2)
>undocumented disk structure like directory header block formats and such.

Uh, this stuff was documented back before 1.0.  Not well, but the structure
of directory, file, extension blocks, etc. was documented in "The AmigaDOS
Technical Reference Manual", one of the rather thin books in the original
Amiga developer "Phone Book" series.  I think this eventually got put in
with the other AmigaDOS stuff that wound up in the Bantam AmigaDOS manual.
About the only thing not documented at all was the "whys" of the various
allocation decisions.  Which, of course, has changed several times anyway.

	"I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit" -REM