[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga on TV

ronhill@pnet01.CTS.COM (Ronald Hill) (07/17/87)

Did anybody else see "Alive from Off Center" on public television.  It
featured Laurie Anderson and an Amiga.  The intro showed her and a "clone"
hovering over the Amiga.  She hit a key and said "oh no I just erased the
entire season".  The Amiga label was quite clear on the machine. It was kinda
cute.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!ronhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!ronhill@nosc.mil
INET: ronhill@pnet01.CTS.COM

zofka@cernvax.UUCP (06/03/88)

Just for your ego...

The amiga 2000 is used by TF1 (French TV 1) and by TSR (Swiss french
TV (only one channel available in french part of switzerland))

Happy ?

Milan

riddle@drkami.UUCP (Dan Riddell-Kaufman) (03/11/89)

Okay, I've seen the postings about Amigas being spotted in the great movies.
And I've read the postings about all the great television show that Amigas
have been featured.....

But, I have to report my sighting.  It was a show that none of us would be
caught dead watching (really).  For one thing it was on at 7:30 in the morning
on KTEH (public TV San Jose).  I only turned it on (I swear) for my 21-month
old son (Sesame Street follows it).

The show is called "Zoobilee Zoo".  It has Ben Vereen (sp?) introducing and
some dancer types dressed as VERY brightly colored animalish characters.
A fox, cat, bear, parrot, and some other animals I can't determine, act out
some great drama that has some moral to teach at the end of the half hour.
Mostly they jump around and do exagerated movements to hold small children's
attention.

Today, they had gone (I didn't see why) to a place with big sign that read
"Memory Lane".  It had flashing colored lights and reel-to-reel tape decks
and other television industry ideas of computer looking thingies.  The Bear
and Cat where scared when the 12-foot wall of flashing lights, started to
talk to them.  An extremely low res (1 foot pixels) face told them it's
name was "Memor" and remembered everything.  They of course ask it to remember
one of their favorite times.  I expected it to reply "The great and powerful
DOS is not impressed", but the giant robot face said "ENTER DATA" (pass that
string to speak:opt/r/s30 to actually experience).

At this point the Cat walked over to monitor ("hey that looks like the
back of my 1080").  The camera pans around to the front of a small computer
("Hey that really is an Amiga monitor").  She types three random keys with
her gloved paws ("HEY, That's an Amiga keyboard, and it's a 2000 with the
front covered by the keyboard being elevated").  The screen changes from
big block title characters that I can't remember into a checker board.
Alternate squares fade out to a genlocked background, then the other squares
disappear to show a video of the Cat's happy birthday party last year.

I sat there and watched the Amiga get used this in this demeaning way three
more times.  I felt silly watching this show, but was proud to see an Amiga
starring, for I knew that no other PC could have played that part.  No
three letter computer could video title and genlock and fade/wipe/disolve
the way our Amiga did.

BTW, This is my first posting from home.
Thank You Sneakers for getting me Anews/UUCP/Mail.

--
		"No cute .signature yet"
			amdahl!drivax!drkami!Riddle

I was watching the PBS show "Motor Week" last weekend and happened to notice
what looked awfully like an Amiga in one of the cubicles. Once my attention
was drawn to it, it seemed to me that the graphics on the show were quite
within the capability of an Amiga. Anyone know more?
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) (03/19/89)

Did anyone watch "Get Smart Again" a couple of weeks ago.  You all remember
Don Adams as Maxwell Smart ... well they used Amigas on the show. (A1000)

--
% Alan W. McKay     %                                             %
% Acadia University %   " The world needs more Socrates'          %

ugdill@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Peter Dill) (03/22/89)

In article <1684@aucs.UUCP> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) writes:
>Did anyone watch "Get Smart Again" a couple of weeks ago.  You all remember
>Don Adams as Maxwell Smart ... well they used Amigas on the show. (A1000)

   A couple of weeks ago there was a side view of an Amiga 1000 in an ad for
MCI's fax network in the Wall St. Journal. And today (Tues) there was a full
page (!) ad for the 2500 in the WSJ on B-3 near the tech news. The ad was aimed
at corporate (suprise!) video/graphics uses and mentioned multitasking and
genlocks. The ad was a little crowded for my taste but was a least as good in
execution as recent ads by Compaq and IBM. Perhapse following Max Toy's "if
you have to ask" theory there was no pricing info given.
   Intrestingly enough there was an article on the next page speculating why
IBM's stock is droping. Where is my Kinison.h ....?

                                                Peter Dill

ugdill@sunybcs                 |  In  /// | "As a rule of course, we just
ugdill@joey.cs.buffalo.edu     |     ///  |don't care. "
v114nj32@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu  |    ///   |- _Logical Design of Digital
..!rutgers!sunybcs!ugdill      |\\\/// We |  Circuits_
                               | \XX/Trust|      C.M.Reeves

tim@mcrware.UUCP (Tim Harris) (03/27/89)

Not that an Amiga was actually shown but one was mentioned on last Saturday's
episode of 'Hunter'.  One of the suspects in a case had sent a tape to the
cops which was done with a speech synthesizer, when the local expert listened
to the tape he claimed it could have come from any PC, "an Apple, Amiga or
IBM".   At least we got mentioned with the big 2.

Tim Harris

jon@sun.acs.udel.edu (Jonathan R Deutsch) (02/11/90)

Yes, I saw the Amiga on "War of the Worlds" today (Sat) on Fox.
It supposedly was storing very important information about genetic
engineering.
Tell ya what, if I was going to use the Amiga for such a task, I'd most
definitely invest in a GOMF or two....(jk)

---------------------------------------------------------\
|/\/\/\/\/Jon Deutsch |"For my 2 cents\                   \
|jon@sun.acs.udel.edu |                \I'd pay a dollar" /
---------------------------------------------------------/

sjg00257@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/17/90)

  Just thought I'd mention an Amiga I saw on a TV program.  The show is called
"My Secret Identity," and it stars a kid who has been hit with a ray that his
neighbor/scientist was experimenting with, and now he can fly, is bullet-proof,
etc.  The show seems to be directed at the 8-15 yr. male audience, and I caught
it in the Chicago, Illinois area on Channel 50 (WPWR).  I'm not sure where else
this show is syndicated.

  Anyway, I caught the scientist typing one day and thought the header bar on
his screen looked a little familiar.  When the camera changed, I got a glimpse
of the computer's front panel;  there was the familiar "rainbow check" - an
A2000!

  Has anyone else seen this show?  Why the heck don't they show more of the
machine?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++    Scott Garrett
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++    University of Illinois - U/C
(Yes, the U of I, with the third largest collegiate library in the world,
but not one book about the Amiga!)

a275@mindlink.UUCP (Travers Naran) (07/17/90)

> sjg00257@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>
>   Just thought I'd mention an Amiga I saw on a TV program.  The show is
> called
> "My Secret Identity," and it stars a kid who has been hit with a ray that his
> neighbor/scientist was experimenting with, and now he can fly, is
> bullet-proof,
> etc.  The show seems to be directed at the 8-15 yr. male audience, and I
> caught
> it in the Chicago, Illinois area on Channel 50 (WPWR).  I'm not sure where
> else
> this show is syndicated.

Just about everwhere, sir. It's a Canadian made production syndicated
through out all of North America. :-) And Yes, I saw the Amiga a long
time ago on that show. :-)

> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++    Scott Garrett
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++    University of Illinois - U/C
> (Yes, the U of I, with the third largest collegiate library in the world,
> but not one book about the Amiga!)

Ah! But did you try Simon Fraser Uninversity's library? Where they have all the
orignal 1.2 Commodore manuals and all the new ones too! And a few others... :-)
(Where is SFU? Check my .sig!) :-)
Travers "T'aran" Naran (I am male)
Simon Fraser University, Computing Science (Burnaby, B.C., Canada)
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada, North America, etc...
Whovian, Prober, Treker, Quantum Leaper....
Mailing addresses:
   Usenet  Travers_Naran@mindlink.UUCP
or      uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Travers_Naran

In article <46200100@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> sjg00257@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>  Just thought I'd mention an Amiga I saw on a TV program.  The show is called
>"My Secret Identity," and it stars a kid who has been hit with a ray that his
>neighbor/scientist was experimenting with, and now he can fly, is bullet-proof

	Has anyone ever noticed that all the crappy 3-d rate
low-budget TV flops use Amigas? %^>
	All the sophisticated ones use Macs and PS/2. 8(
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (07/18/90)

I just saw an Amiga on tv as well:)  It was on Life Goes On.  An
alternate (underground) newspaper editor was using it to build
his newspaper.

Patrick Horgan                     phorgan@cup.portal.com

oleg@crash.cts.com (Oleg Rovner) (07/18/90)

There is a commercial for the Southern California Magic Mountain in which
part of the voice over is the Amiga calling out the names of the rides as
they are shown. The graphic overlays look like they might have been done
on the Amiga also. Interestingly enough, the computer voice uses speech
handler with (apparently) default values rather than digitized human speech.

For anybody in the Southland who is interested, the commercial airs on KCOP
LA ch 13.

  OR