[comp.sys.amiga] Applied Engineering Drive

C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU ("Eric Edwards") (07/14/90)

In Message-ID: 269c08f7-2410.2comp.sys.amiga-1@tronsbox.xei.com
   Bill Cavanaugh bleys@tronsbox.xei.com said:

>That's assuming he wants to format the disks on the Amiga.  It'll only allow
>you to make 720K disks, and most people using PS/* are using High Density,
>either 1.2 or 1.4 meg floppies... I've heard that there's a high density
>drive that works on the Ami, but I haven't seen it.

There is a HD floppy out for the amiga made by Applied Engineering.  However,
the current model can not read 1.44 meg PC floppies.  It seems the 1.52 meg
(amiga format) drive was easier to do so they developed that one.  They now
see the error in their decission and are hard at work on a 1.76 meg version
that WILL read IBM 1.44 meg floppies.

   /*/Eric Edwards  c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu or c506634@umcvmb.bitnet/*/
  /*/ "Sir, you are an excellent star ship captain /"We come in peace, /*/
 /*/  but as a taxi cab driver you leave much to  / shoot to kill"    /*/
/*/  be desired" - Spock, "A Piece of the Action"/  --"Star Trekkin'"/*/

P.S.  I appretnly hid suspend so this is a few days late.

In article <9007190139.AA03396@jade.berkeley.edu> C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU ("Eric Edwards") writes:

>There is a HD floppy out for the amiga made by Applied Engineering.  However,
>the current model can not read 1.44 meg PC floppies.  It seems the 1.52 meg
>(amiga format) drive was easier to do so they developed that one.  They now
>see the error in their decission and are hard at work on a 1.76 meg version
>that WILL read IBM 1.44 meg floppies.

	Applied Engineering advertised that drive in AmigaWorld
three times. Each time, they changed the description. The first
one said 1.76MB, the next said 1.52MB, and the most recent said
1.44MB. I don't know WHAT THEY THINK THEY ARE DOING! I've heard
very good things about their products for other computers but
they have just ruined their Amiga image in my mind. When I saw
their first advertisement I called them up to ask questions and
the person new nothing about the Amiga, apparently no one there
did. He couldn't even describe how the drive worked, whether it
somehow managed to autoconfigure, whether it needed to be
mounted, ...

>   /*/Eric Edwards  c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu or c506634@umcvmb.bitnet/*/
>  /*/ "Sir, you are an excellent star ship captain /"We come in peace, /*/
> /*/  but as a taxi cab driver you leave much to  / shoot to kill"    /*/
>/*/  be desired" - Spock, "A Piece of the Action"/  --"Star Trekkin'"/*/
>
>P.S.  I appretnly hid suspend so this is a few days late.

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else