[comp.sys.amiga] Low-end MACs

BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (07/05/90)

   Apple is struggling to find internal leadership capable of marketing
the low-end MACs.  Several key executes at Apple were recently fired
because they lacked the initiative to bring the low-end machines to the
market.

   If and when these machines reach the market, though, they could pose
a little trouble for Commodore.  The new machines are basically SE/30's
minus the 68882.  They will have an '030 running at 16Mhz, 2MB of RAM,
a 30MB hard drive, and the same, old monochrome screen for around $1000.

   This could pose trouble for Commodore because Commodore does not really
have anything to compete with this.  The Amiga 500 is more capable in most
areas, but nearly as fast.  These machines will be great for people who
want something that just plain runs fast, and don't need color or high-
resolution graphics.

   Commodore does not really have anything that fulfills this idea.  They
have the Amiga 500, which is a great, well-rounded system but that is
rather slow CPU-wise.  They also have the Amiga 3000, which is immensely
powerful CPU-wise, but that is priced just outside most people's
budgets.  They don't have anything which offers great CPU power, but
with limited expandability.

   I have said over and over again before, but I am going to say it again.
The price of the 68020's have fallen drastically in the past year, down
to the point where it should be possible for Commodore to get the 16Mhz
versions for as low as $25 in big quantities.  Heck, I can get them for
$50 in tiny quantities.  I don't know why this inexpensive 32-bit
powerhouse is being neglected in favor of the 68030 and 68000.  True,
the 68030 does offer the MMU, but is a LOT more expensive.  The 68000
is a lot less expensive, but does not have anywhere near the processor
power.

   I'd like to see Commodore introduce a new system specifically aimed
at the low-end MACs, that uses a 16Mhz 68020.  This system be essentially
an Amiga 500 with a 16Mhz 68020, 1M of normal 16-bit Chip RAM, and
sockets for up to X meg of 32-bit RAM.  This system could be developed,
and sold profitably for about $200 more than a standard 1M Amiga 500,
essentially killing the low-end MACs.

   I say this because I'd like to see Apple get burned badly by Commodore
with those new MACs.  I don't want Commodore to simply ignore them, and
act like they don't exist, but I think this is exactly what Commodore
will do.

                                    -MB-

jimmy@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jimmy Chan) (07/20/90)

In article <23623@snow-white.udel.EDU> BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>   If and when these machines reach the market, though, they could pose
>a little trouble for Commodore.  The new machines are basically SE/30's
>minus the 68882.  They will have an '030 running at 16Mhz, 2MB of RAM,
>a 30MB hard drive, and the same, old monochrome screen for around $1000.

I thought it was more of a Mac SE (not the '030), 1 MB of Ram expandable
to 4 MB of Ram, PMMU, no hard drive, 1 1.44 meg Super Drive, 1 expansion
slot and the same old monochrome screen all for around $800.  (This I just
got from my co-worker sitting next to me...8-)...)  Also it comes with
the keyboard. Don't know if there is much to worry about with this system.

An SE/30 cost about approx. $3500 w/o the educational discount.  You
might want to check up on your facts as this would mean Apple would
have to offer a 75% discount or more to sell at $1000.  Btw this doesn't
include the keyboard.

PS.  All of this is from my co-worker who is a Mac enthusiast and who just
recently came back from the Apple Power Wave conference.

--
    //  ||   Hardware : A2000, 3 megs, 2 internal 3 1/2" drives, Amax        ||