[comp.sys.amiga] OS/2 PM vs. Amiga

A little citation of the well-reputated german magazine c't in an
introduction article to programming of OS/2 Presentation Manager:

   "PM tells the application to restore it's window contents after
   this is viewable again. ... This solution is reasonable. The
   effort to restore windows automatically by the PM itself would
   be much too big on a multitasking system with several tasks
   running in parallel."

Remember the flags you may set when Opening an Amiga Intuition window?
On the Amiga, you can *CHOOSE* that Intuition does this job for you.
But you are not forced to do it this way, you also may do it yourself.
I think that's what is normally called flexibility.
And that's provided by an operating system only needing a small fraction
of memory compared to PM.

Another issue of flexibility: Under Amiga OS, you can have several screens
with different resolutions and color palettes simultaneously. I'm not
quite sure, but I fear that under PM you only have one screen and every
application has to share it. To those who know about it: What happens
if an application needs a different video mode or a different palette?
Is there a way under PM (please not by hacking and bypassing PM) to switch
to another display page? And if your video adaptor provides only one,
is the contents of the PM desktop saved and restored when switching
back to another task?
--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (07/15/90)

Speaking about having several screens, that's something that's always amazed
me...the way you can drag down several screens, each with their own
resolution, overscan, and palette.

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

panon@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Paul-Andre Panon) (07/20/90)

In article <282@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

>Is there a way under PM (please not by hacking and bypassing PM) to switch
>to another display page? And if your video adaptor provides only one,
>is the contents of the PM desktop saved and restored when switching
>back to another task?
>--
>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

I remember reading a long time ago that OS/2 had something called screen groups
where more than one program could be running on a particular screen. Due to the
fact that this runs in protected mode, I am sure the OS saves the screen
(although it might have to swap to disk to accomplish this) when you switch
from one screen group to another. Screens would of course not be draggable,
only flippable. I have not seen this in action and so should not comment on
preformance issues (but I don't think it would be too swift unless you had a
386 DX).

--
      panon@staff.ucs.ubc.ca           or      USERPAP1@UBCMTSG
or    ppanon@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca       or      USERPAP1@mtsg.ubc.ca