[comp.sys.amiga] JRComm 1.?? Request

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (07/19/90)

Something I've sorely missed on all the freely distributable Amiga
terminal programs is the capability to AUTOBAUD when the modems connect
at a rate other than that selected when the call was made.  Virtually
every modem now returns either a string or a numeric code that describes
the parameters of the actual connection once the modems finish
negotations.

This would allow one to set up the system to always call out at the
highest baud rate supported, and have the modem "downshift" if the
system at the other end cannot go that high. This is useful when calling
a BBS for the first time, and there is also the case where a BBS
operator has his primary modem dies and has to use a lower speed modem
for a backup.

Thanks for your consideration.

   --- Cal
           ____
 HOBBIT   / / /  340 Meg Online
  HOLE   / / /  12/24/9600HST bps                   AMIGA:
  ____  / / /  Exclusively   Amiga
  \ \ \/ / /  "Best Amiga BBS in FL"    The computer for the BEST of us!
   \ \ \/ /  July, 1989 Final List(tm)
    \_\_\/  A comfortable place to meet
 --------------------------------------
 Cal Jones, Sysop.  904-243-6219  24Hrs

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (07/20/90)

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:

>Something I've sorely missed on all the freely distributable Amiga
>terminal programs is the capability to AUTOBAUD when the modems connect
>at a rate other than that selected when the call was made.  Virtually
>every modem now returns either a string or a numeric code that describes
>the parameters of the actual connection once the modems finish
>negotations.

You're not looking close enough, JR-Comm 1.0 does this very thing now.

  -jack-