[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 3000 Ad spotted!

tep@tots.UUCP (Tom Perrine) (07/20/90)

In my hand, I hold an amazing piece of paper. It is a full-page,
color, advertisement for the Amiga 3000 (and others), which was placed
in major computer magazine.

This ad has the headline:

  Commodore would like to pass this secret on to the Federal Government.

The picture shows an A3000, running AmigaVision, displaying a picture
of the B-2 bomber.

The "bullets" underneath mention some of the important things that
*we* all know about:

68030 + 68882 @ 25 Mhz + custom chips, up to 18 Mbytes etc.

Operating System Capabilities: AmigaDOS, MS-DOS, UNIX System V R4 **

Networking: Ethernet, ARCnet, NFS, TCP/IP, Novell Client,
	X-window systems **

But , when you look at the footnotes:
** MS-DOS, UNIX and all networking software are available options
                                                ^^^^^^^^^
OK, when can I buy SVR4?? A minor problem is this sentence, however:

"Everything that's true in the previous paragraph about the Amiga 3000
is true for the entire Amiga line from the Amiga 2000 to the Amiga 2500."

What about the A500?

The most amazing thing is the magazine that this appeared in:
	the July 9 issue of Government Computer News

YEAH COMMODORE!!

(For more information, call Commodore Federal Systems Group in Reston
VA at 703.709.0200).

Tom Perrine (tep)                       |Internet: tep@tots.Logicon.COM
Logicon                                 |UUCP: nosc!hamachi!tots!tep
Tactical and Training Systems Division  |-or-  sun!suntan!tots!tep
San Diego CA                            |GENIE: T.PERRINE
"Harried: with preschoolers"            |+1 619 455 1330
Home of the _Tower Operator Training System_ as seen in the SunTech Journal.

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (07/20/90)

In article <157@tots.UUCP> tep@tots.UUCP (Tom Perrine) writes:
> What about the A500?

   If you manage to run UNIX or other Net stuff on an Amiga 500, then it
isn't an Amigha 500 anymore. And this is an ad for gov agencies, not for
young kids ! For them, the Amiga 500 doesn't even exist...

   Anyway if you can _now_ have an Amiga with Unix sys v r4, X, Ethernet
and (of course if you have Unix allready) TCP/IP, then party on dude !!
(-:. Commodore is playing on the workstations playfield with this, not
anymore with Macs or so (the current version of A/UX doesn't even work
with a Mac II fx (-:).

In <157@tots.UUCP>, tep@tots.UUCP (Tom Perrine) writes:
>OK, when can I buy SVR4?? A minor problem is this sentence, however:
>
>"Everything that's true in the previous paragraph about the Amiga 3000
>is true for the entire Amiga line from the Amiga 2000 to the Amiga 2500."
>
>What about the A500?

The A500 does not have the requisite MMU to run sVr4.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

APPLEREP@MTUS5.BITNET (07/20/90)

(Jean-Noel MOYNE states in the previous article that the current version of
A/UX doesn't work with a Mac IIfx)

The current version of A/UX (version 2.0)  is _optimized_ for
working with a Mac IIfx!!!

Tom Amberg
Apple Student Rep.
Michigan Technological University (way up in the great white north)

Disclaimer:  Do I speak for Apple?  Surely you jest!
(though I don't think anyone from Apple would dispute this post...)

Coming Soon to a NewsReader near you:  Amberg's Signature!  (As soon as I
figure out how to use this #@^%*&$ mainframe newsreader).