[comp.sys.amiga] FFS in ROM - HD probs?

akcs.clemon@wcbcs (Craig Lemon) (07/14/90)

   I have a small question that's been nagging me long before 14. was
renamed 2.0 (actually since the release of 1.3).  The FFS is in ROM now
under 2.0 right?  What happens to the people with HDs that are configured in
their RIGID BLOCKS to take FFS from a file?  I have a Microbotics HardFrame
and the Setup/Configure program says : "Enter directory and filename for
FFS" or words to that effect.  AM I going to be risking the contents of my
HD when I switch to 2.0?  If there are any Microbotics reps out there...are
you sending some sort of upgrade to owners before the release of 2.0?  Am I
going to have to reformat?

   Also, since I'm posting, could I get the address of any Microbotics rep
about another topic that I can discuss by mail or something.

--                            _
 Craig Lemon              // |_|
 Kitchener, Ontario     \X/  | |  M  I  G  A

 Amiga 2000 -- 2400 bps -- AmigaUUCP 1.03D
 uunet!watmath!xenitec!wcbcs!lemsys!clemon
 uunet!watmath!xenitec!wcbcs!{_clemon|AKCS.clemon}

           ^^ Not Reliable Yet
         "Yes, it's my real name!!"

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (07/20/90)

In article <[269f3124:6611]comp.sys.amiga@wcbcs>, akcs.clemon@wcbcs (Craig Lemon) writes:
>    I have a small question that's been nagging me long before 14. was
> renamed 2.0 (actually since the release of 1.3).  The FFS is in ROM now
> under 2.0 right?  What happens to the people with HDs that are configured in
> their RIGID BLOCKS to take FFS from a file?  I have a Microbotics HardFrame
> and the Setup/Configure program says : "Enter directory and filename for
> FFS" or words to that effect.  AM I going to be risking the contents of my
> HD when I switch to 2.0?

A good question, one which I shall persue straight away.  I will let you know
via EMail regarding the solution.

> If there are any Microbotics reps out there...are
> you sending some sort of upgrade to owners before the release of 2.0?  Am I
> going to have to reformat?

Well, I kinda represent MicroBotics here on Usenet and on CompuServe, although
I do not work for MicroBotics.  I have done development work for them (several
versions of memory tests for the StarBoard and 8-Up!) and I'm on different
networks than MicroBotics, so they asked me to be their "eyes and ears".  If
you have access to BIX, send questions, etc. to users "microbotics",
"microbotics1", or "rsimonsen".

>    Also, since I'm posting, could I get the address of any Microbotics rep
> about another topic that I can discuss by mail or something.

You can EMail me for this stuff.  I'll track down answers and get back to
you however you wish.  I'm sending this message from my "day job" 8-), so
the address is that for my employer.  Following the .signature you will find
four other electronic addresses, all of which are personal to me.  Beware that
the one listed as my Unix box is not valid right this second, as that system
had a terminal disk crash, and the drive is out for service.

If you wanna shoot the stuff interactively, I'm on CompuServe's AmigaTech
conference forum just about every night starting at 2200 PDT.

> --                            _
>  Craig Lemon              // |_|
>  Kitchener, Ontario     \X/  | |  M  I  G  A
>
>  Amiga 2000 -- 2400 bps -- AmigaUUCP 1.03D
>  uunet!watmath!xenitec!wcbcs!lemsys!clemon
>  uunet!watmath!xenitec!wcbcs!{_clemon|AKCS.clemon}
>
>            ^^ Not Reliable Yet
>          "Yes, it's my real name!!"
[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                - Baby Herman in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"
Personal EMail addresses:
uunet!perigrine!ccicpg!conexch!amoeba2!rps2 (Amiga 2500/30, Dillon UUCP 1.06D)
uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop                  (Unix box)
75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com)      (CompuServe)
smallscale                                  (Bix)