[comp.sys.amiga] LamerII virus

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (07/20/90)

I have (had) caught the LamerII virus from a (Non Pirate!) bbs.
VirusX mentions the Lamer Exterminator virus, which waited a while,
then wrote Lamer! in random parts of disks.  (Very nasty...)

VirusX(4.0) does detect the LamerII virus, but it doesn't mention
what it does.  Is it the same as the Lamer Exterminator?  Are
they both the same as Lamer's Revenge?

I seem to have nipped it in the bud, but I would like to know
what it was trying to do to me.  Also, what interactions does the
cold capture vector on the 2500/30 have with virusX?

thanks,
dylan

seh@pmafire.UUCP (Steve Holaday) (07/20/90)

In article <12587@june.cs.washington.edu> dylan@june.cs.washington.edu
(Dylan McNamee) writes:

>I have (had) caught the LamerII virus from a (Non Pirate!) bbs.
>VirusX mentions the Lamer Exterminator virus, which waited a while,
>then wrote Lamer! in random parts of disks.  (Very nasty...)

Did you notify the sys operator of the BBS?  Was the virus file purged?
If so, it might save others from this virus.  I would feel better if
you did try to track down the source of this virus.
--
mail:  seh@pmafire.UUCP                 Steve Holaday
  or   !uunet!pmafire!seh        I *HATE* long signature files!