[comp.sys.amiga] A3000 memory installation woes

In <1990Jul17.015737.24127@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>	I guess I should consider myself lucky. Everything came
>apart, and it all fit back together in (practically) the same
>places where it came from. The computer did not make funny noises
>and I didn't smell anything burning. However, of the extra 2MB I
>installed 512K is not registering.
>	I know of one zip that I messed up very badly. I thought
>I got it back in right, but I guess I didn't. Now, I moved the
>2MB dips to chip ram and filled banks 0 and 1 with zips. That
>meant that (going from front of machine to back) I filled in
>groups of two rows, alternating filling and leaving empty.
>	Going on the assumption that this is one chip, which one
>should it be? Would it cut out any chips after it (i.e. are they
>connected in series)? Would it cut out anything after it in the
>same bank, or also every other bank that comes after it as well?
>	Finally, how would it work if it were 2, 3 or 4 chips?
>	Finally2, is running the machine with a bad chip any
>danger to the machine?

512K not 'registering'? Well, the ram you put in (2 megs, or 16 chips), is in
2, 1 Meg 'banks' of 8 chips per 'bank'.  If you had one bad chip, 1 meg would
be missing.  The 512K you see as missing is from the chunk that the MMU maps
out to place the KS in, whether 1.3 or 2.0. In other words, it's normal.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

[...]
	Thanx,
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

In <1031@tau.sm.luth.se>, d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) writes:
>In article <1787@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>
>>512K not 'registering'? Well, the ram you put in (2 megs, or 16 chips), is in
>>2, 1 Meg 'banks' of 8 chips per 'bank'.  If you had one bad chip, 1 meg would
>>be missing.  The 512K you see as missing is from the chunk that the MMU maps
>>out to place the KS in, whether 1.3 or 2.0. In other words, it's normal.
>
>Will this be the case when the ROMs are burned too?

Yes and no. Yes, the memory will be in the same physical 'bank' arrangement,
and no, the kickstart will not take up 512K of RAM.

-larry

--
Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) (07/22/90)

In article <1787@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>512K not 'registering'? Well, the ram you put in (2 megs, or 16 chips), is in
>2, 1 Meg 'banks' of 8 chips per 'bank'.  If you had one bad chip, 1 meg would
>be missing.  The 512K you see as missing is from the chunk that the MMU maps
>out to place the KS in, whether 1.3 or 2.0. In other words, it's normal.

Will this be the case when the ROMs are burned too?

						Karl
---

Karl Hultland,(d87-khd@sm.luth.se)
University of Lulea,Sweden

Spare all I have, and take my life.   - G. Farquhar (1678-1707)