[comp.sys.amiga] A500 - Ethernet or hard disk, what to do for more disk space?

jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) (07/24/90)

Well, I finally unbent and bought Lattice C 5.05 for my 500 in hopes
of getting some use out of it while waiting for the 3000's prices to
drop a bit. I have 2.5Mb and 2 floppy drives, but am still going batty.
Since Lattice likes to have both drives (for Disk 1 and 2 unless almost all
of disk 1 is resident), I've been putting my sources in RAM: and compiling
them there. So far so good. Then I get to some of Matt Dillon's more
useful stuff, like dnet, which requires at least his make and some of his
libraries, and I hit a wall. There's no more room on either disk for more
stuff and I've already dumped all the balast I could to get things like
mg, dmouse, and other indispensible tools on the first disk. What to do?
I'm not gonna sit there swapping disks like a fool, even assuming that I
can get the assigns right, and 2.5 MB of memory only goes so far.
So it starts to look the the little 500 is going to need Even More investment
before it's really useable. Foo.

So, I look in the magazines.. Hmmm. DM1200 for a 33 Meg drive?? Yeeearg!
And that's one of the CHEAP ones! Well, there appears to be a SCSI controller
made by Supra for only DM498 and I can get my hands on SCSI drives in
the 70MB - 150MB range very easily. We toss them out of unix boxes all the
time (let's face it, 70MB may be a lot for an amiga, but it makes little more
than a decent swap space on a unix box these days). So, the question
remains as to whether this controller is: a) Fast? b) Flexible? [does it
deal with all drives obeying the SCSI CCS, or just ones with EXTENDED R/W?].
c) Autobooting? d) Have space for additional RAM expansion? e) The best/most
usable controller for the money?

The other alternative seems to be something called the AMIGANET Ethernet
board for around DM1000. This one is a real can-o-worms. What will the Amiga
do over this ethernet card (what sort of software is provided?) Will it
do Real NFS? Reasonably transparently? I've got multiple megabytes of free
space on the unix box sitting across the room and it has NFS and a thick-wire
ethernet interface (though I also have a thick-to-thin converter lying
in a box somewhere, if needed). If I can get the Amiga to Really Use
this card properly, it's a far better solution than buying a hard drive.
It gives me access to the unix box's tape drive, for one, and lets me
go straight to the comp.sources.amiga software I've downloaded. If I could
also fake Lattice's hd_install script into thinking it was installing itself
on a hard disk (well, it would be, just not the Amiga's hard disk!) I would
be in seventh heaven.

Please, please, please, does anyone out there have experience with one
or both of these strategies? I wouldn't expect the former to deal with
just any weird disk, but it'd be nice to know if I could use it with an
Emulex ST506 -> SCSI controller (the Emulex speaks a somewhat primitive
dialect of SCSI) as well, since I have several 70MB ST506 drives gathering
dust on my desk.

As for the latter, I certainly don't expect a full SUN NFS implementation
or anything, but I'd be happy if there was some way to get the Unix box
(your average SYSV box with Berkeley sockets) to provided a transparent
ETH: (or whatever) device to the Amiga that looked like a hard disk,
or maybe a really big floppy :-). Whether this is through NFS or a custom
server program [for which source is provided!], I don't really care.

If there's general interest, I will post a condensed summary of replies.

					Jordan
--
			PCS Computer Systeme GmbH, Munich, West Germany
	UUCP:		pyramid!pcsbst!jkh jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (07/24/90)

In article <JKH.90Jul23192821@meepmeep.pcs.com> jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:

[ stuff about needing disk space on A500 deleted ]

>So, I look in the magazines.. Hmmm. DM1200 for a 33 Meg drive?? Yeeearg!
>And that's one of the CHEAP ones! Well, there appears to be a SCSI controller
>made by Supra for only DM498 and I can get my hands on SCSI drives in
>the 70MB - 150MB range very easily. We toss them out of unix boxes all the
>time (let's face it, 70MB may be a lot for an amiga, but it makes little more
>than a decent swap space on a unix box these days). So, the question
>remains as to whether this controller is: a) Fast? b) Flexible? [does it
>deal with all drives obeying the SCSI CCS, or just ones with EXTENDED R/W?].
>c) Autobooting? d) Have space for additional RAM expansion? e) The best/most
>usable controller for the money?

[ stuff about something called AmigaNet deleted ]

I used the Supra SCSI host adapter for the 500.  I was very pleased with the
price and performance.  I used several embedded SCSI disks as well as an
Adaptec 4000A SCSI<->ST506 translator with several ST506 drives.  There was
also room for a 2M RAM expansion board, last I heard it went for about $300 US
for the ram and $200 US for the host adapter.  The formatting and partitioning
software was easy to use and nicely polished.  You shouldn't have any problems
using a CCS drive with this host adapter.  It also supports the SCSIdirect
protocol and RDB structure.  This should make the drive portable to other
host adapters and provide a way to use tape, cd-rom ... , with the host
adapter.  I was very happy with my A500 setup.
Steve		email: Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM	803-791-7054
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400