[comp.sys.amiga] jrcomm 1.0 entry screen :-)

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (07/15/90)

Have you seen the entry screen of JR-Comm 1.0? This is the ugliest thing
I've ever seen on the Amiga or on any other PC.  The picture looks like C64
graphics.  It's EXACTLY things like that which give the Amiga its toy
computer image.  Show this to a maketing person and he'll walk away
laughing without even looking at the (excellent) main program.

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (07/17/90)

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:

>Have you seen the entry screen of JR-Comm 1.0? This is the ugliest thing
>I've ever seen on the Amiga or on any other PC.  The picture looks like C64
>graphics.  It's EXACTLY things like that which give the Amiga its toy
>computer image.  Show this to a maketing person and he'll walk away
>laughing without even looking at the (excellent) main program.

Hey, my middle name ain't Rembrandt, what the hell do you want from a guy
who can't draw a straight line without a ruler? :-)

Seriously, I'd like a much snazzier display, but I also don't want to choke
the executible with alot of once used data either.  And, anyone, including
you, who can do a title screen justice for me, I'm listening...

  -jack-

menelli@tellabs.com (Ron Menelli) (07/24/90)

Since all of this discussion about JR-Comm has been going on, I thought I
would see if anyone could solve my (somewhat different) problem.
I have a stock A3000 25 MHz with the release ROMs. When I attempt to run
JR-Comm, the title screen comes up, and then the program promptly bombs.
I then get a "Not Enough Memory" guru-like error, and that's all, folks.
This doesn't seem (at least, I don't think so...) to be the same semaphore
error others are having (I even wrote a little program to check location 0
in a moment of desperation, and it contains a big, fat, longword 0 as
expected.) Anyway, the only thing even remotely stange about my system is that
I am running Cross-DOS v4.0. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ron Menelli

P.S. It works fine under 1.3.2, however...

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (07/24/90)

Where is the latest version of JR-Comm available?  I much enjoyed the earlier
ones, and am looking foreward to the finalized 1.0

Duane Fields

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (07/24/90)

menelli@tellabs.com (Ron Menelli) writes:

>Since all of this discussion about JR-Comm has been going on, I thought I
>would see if anyone could solve my (somewhat different) problem.
>I have a stock A3000 25 MHz with the release ROMs. When I attempt to run
>JR-Comm, the title screen comes up, and then the program promptly bombs.
>I then get a "Not Enough Memory" guru-like error, and that's all, folks.
>This doesn't seem (at least, I don't think so...) to be the same semaphore
>error others are having (I even wrote a little program to check location 0
>in a moment of desperation, and it contains a big, fat, longword 0 as
>expected.) Anyway, the only thing even remotely stange about my system is that
>I am running Cross-DOS v4.0. Anyone have any suggestions?

Under 2.0 it has been found that a non-zero value in location 0 allows JR-Comm
to run.  I'm probably gonna pull the damned title screen because of this...

...I still can't get over the fact that one stupid lores screen could cause
so much grief, oh well...

  -jack-