[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore & U.S. Economy

TSA91%ISUEVAX.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Marc Barrett) (07/24/90)

   Nearly every major economist in the U.S. agrees that the U.S. is in
for a recession sometime in the next six months.  This is not good news
for any company in one of the technology industries, and Commodore is
no exception.  These companies are products of the bull-market of the
80's, and will not weather a recession well.

   To me, it seems ironic that, after the longest economic expansion in
U.S. history, Commodore would finally get their act together when it
came to a close.  Typical of Commodore.

                                  -MB-

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (07/24/90)

In article <25403@snow-white.udel.EDU> TSA91%ISUEVAX.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>   Nearly every major economist in the U.S. agrees that the U.S. is in
>for a recession sometime in the next six months.  This is not good news
>for any company in one of the technology industries, and Commodore is
>no exception.  These companies are products of the bull-market of the
>80's, and will not weather a recession well.

I'd take those predictions with a grain of salt.  Various well-known
economists have been predicting "serious recessions RSN" for the last
2 years.  It hasn't happened yet.  What HAS happened is that the US
economy is GROWING AT A SLOWER RATE.  This is not a recession.  We
shall see what happens when the Federal Reserve lowers the discount
rate and capital investment is spurred aa bit.  All this talk of
recessioion hasn't been accurate to date.

>   To me, it seems ironic that, after the longest economic expansion in
>U.S. history, Commodore would finally get their act together when it
>came to a close.  Typical of Commodore.

My my...we have ourselves a cynic. :-)

I think a large scale recession would hurt bread and butter manufacturers
like Apple and IBM before it would bite into niche markets like CBM's.
That, however, is open to debate.

>                                  -MB-

TTFN,

Chris

Chris Mauritz                 |Donde hay una cerveza
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |hay un plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |El Guerrero Aereo es el rey!