[comp.sys.amiga] xoper

deh@ndmath.UUCP (David Hurtubise) (07/24/90)

Is anyone out there using Xoper to kill processes?
The instructions say that is able to, but whenever I
enter the kill command it responds with "Cannot find
processname process must be running ..."  I guess I
don't have the syntax right.  Could someone please
inform me of the proper syntax.  An example would be
of the most use to me.

                                      Thank You,

David Hurtubise
Math Department
University of Notre Dame
deh@sanger.chem.nd.edu

arc@desire.wright.edu (07/24/90)

In article <1894@ndmath.UUCP>, deh@ndmath.UUCP (David Hurtubise) writes:
> Is anyone out there using Xoper to kill processes?
> The instructions say that is able to, but whenever I
> enter the kill command it responds with "Cannot find
> processname process must be running ..."  I guess I
> don't have the syntax right.  Could someone please
> inform me of the proper syntax.  An example would be
> of the most use to me.
>
>                                       Thank You,
>

> David Hurtubise
> Math Department
> University of Notre Dame
> deh@sanger.chem.nd.edu

 I suspect you're using 2.2 of XOper?  If you are, you may be confused by the
task names.  One, the name of the process is case sensitive, then there is a
command called "clicmd" that changes CLI task's names.  You want the list that
doesn't have the enclosed brackets, like, [ clockdj ]...  If you are using ARP,
the taskname will look like this:

  00c53d50 Process   Waiting     2  13.2%   3 ARP Background She

With this, you could do, "kill 3 ARP Background She", or the easiest way would
be to use the memory address of the task.  So, with the above task you would
do, "kill $00c53d50".  I use Snap off of the Fish, it's the best generic
cut/paste utility available on ANY computer to do little typing short-cuts,
which saves A LOT of time.  Oh, and BTW, killing tasks is not a safe thing to
do.  When you use XOper to kill a task, it doesn't exactly know how to exit the
task "cleanly", so you will almost always get a GURU trying to kill tasks.  If
you ever have a task that locks up on you (just the task, not the computer),
use the "freeze" command.  It works PERFECTLY, and I have NEVER had a crash
using it.

=    ///           | Jim Perry                 | Arc@Desire.Wright.edu =
=   /// Amiga!     | ^Communications Consultant|         -or-          =
= \XX/ The One     | Arc Electronics, Inc.     |    Arc@WSU.BITNET     =
= ____& Only...    | Wright State University   |"Ouch! Quit-it." - Bart=
=                  | Dayton, Ohio              |  Frank Sinatra Rules  =

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (07/24/90)

In article <1894@ndmath.UUCP> deh@ndmath.UUCP (David Hurtubise) writes:

>Is anyone out there using Xoper to kill processes?
>The instructions say that is able to, but whenever I
>enter the kill command it responds with "Cannot find
>processname process must be running ..."  I guess I
>don't have the syntax right.
>
>David Hurtubise

I had trouble with this too until I figured out the following
trick:
	0. Enter the command "T" (to display the tasks).
	1. Press the ESCAPE key to switch the cursor to the
	   tasks window.
	2. Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to position the cursor
	   on the line that displays the task you want to kill.
	3. Type the command "KILL" at the beginning of the line
	   (this may overstrike displayed information but there
	   seems to be no harm in that).

This has worked for me a number of times, but not always.  Does
anyone know if there's a catch?

 ._.  Udo Schuermann             "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?"
 ( )  walrus@cscwam.umd.edu                                  -- Monty Python