[comp.sys.amiga] Sales taxes

kk102029@tut.fi (Karsisto Konsta) (07/23/90)

LS> Well, but we would save American sales tax, wouldn't we? I mean,
LS> if you export things from the US, do you still have to pay US
LS> sales tax?

No you wouldn't. As far as I know prices in the US are always quoted
without any sales taxes, because there are _no_sales_taxes_ in most of
the states.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

--
'  ' '' ' ''  '' '' '' '' '' '' ''  '  '  ' ' '' '' '' '  '  ' ' ' '
Konsta Karsisto  kk102029@tut.fi -- me, myself and I

mpmst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (metlay) (07/23/90)

In article <KK102029.90Jul23114225@kaarne.tut.fi> kk102029@tut.fi (Karsisto Konsta) writes:
>No you wouldn't. As far as I know prices in the US are always quoted
>without any sales taxes, because there are _no_sales_taxes_ in most of
>the states.
>Correct me if I'm wrong.
>Konsta Karsisto  kk102029@tut.fi -- me, myself and I

Konsta, you're wrong. Consider yourself corrected. The USA has no sales tax
in only one or two of its states at most; almost everywhere, one has to pay
sales tax on the state level (and often on the local level as well). Rates
are lower than in Europe, though, usually from 5% to about 8%. The reason
why sales taxes are not quoted in ads is because most states do not have any
reciprocity agreements for collecting taxes from one another, so transactions
via mail order that cross state lines are non-taxable. This situation is
changing rapidly, however. We're writing our Congressmen, but (as usual)
they can't read. |->
--
metlay			| MYSTECH, P.O.Box 81175, Pittsburgh PA 15217-0675.
metlay@vms.cis.pitt.edu	| the Oberheim Xpander Users' Group. Write for data.

In article <KK102029.90Jul23114225@kaarne.tut.fi> kk102029@tut.fi (Karsisto Konsta) writes:

>LS> Well, but we would save American sales tax, wouldn't we? I mean,
>LS> if you export things from the US, do you still have to pay US
>LS> sales tax?
>
>No you wouldn't. As far as I know prices in the US are always quoted
>without any sales taxes, because there are _no_sales_taxes_ in most of
>the states.
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong.

	Most states I believe DO have sales tax. The reasons that
it isn't quoted are: a) every state has a different tax rate.
		     b) most states don't/can't collect taxes on
interstate purchases. That is why mail order is so popular: you
buy from another state and they can't tax you. There is no
FEDERAL sales tax, just state sales tax.

>LS> Lars Soltau     bang: <insert ridiculously long path>   Bix: -- no bucks --
>

>--
>'  ' '' ' ''  '' '' '' '' '' '' ''  '  '  ' ' '' '' '' '  '  ' ' ' '
>Konsta Karsisto  kk102029@tut.fi -- me, myself and I
>"The 68040 points the way to the future. It's clean, it's sexy, it
>represents everything that's good in computing" - Jeff Lawson in PCW

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (07/24/90)

In article <KK102029.90Jul23114225@kaarne.tut.fi> kk102029@tut.fi (Karsisto Konsta) writes:

>No you wouldn't. As far as I know prices in the US are always quoted
>without any sales taxes, because there are _no_sales_taxes_ in most of
>the states.
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong.  Here in Texas, the sales tax is about 6% state, extra 2% city.
It ranges from about 4% (can't remember where) to around 15% (new york city).
BUT, if I order something from, say, Florida (another state), I don't have
to pay their sales tax, 'cause I don't live there.  So, the way it works here
is it wouldn't matter (to you, since you don't live here) if we had a sales
tax of 100%, since you don't have to pay it.

Prices are quoted without sales tax because (at mail order places) because
most people don't have to pay them, and because it makes everything look
cheaper.

I hope I've cleared things up for everybody.
"The machine minded material man                    Logan Shaw
 desperately dreams of a brand new sedan.           lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
 Wlll he expect long lasting gain                   ========================
 from a toy that will race then rust in the rain?" - elim Hall, Things Break

In article <34361@ut-emx.UUCP> lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) writes:
>In article <KK102029.90Jul23114225@kaarne.tut.fi> kk102029@tut.fi (Karsisto Konsta) writes:
>>
>>No you wouldn't. As far as I know prices in the US are always quoted
>>without any sales taxes, because there are _no_sales_taxes_ in most of
>>the states.
>>
>>Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
>You're wrong.  Here in Texas, the sales tax is about 6% state, extra 2% city.
>It ranges from about 4% (can't remember where) to around 15% (new york city).
>BUT, if I order something from, say, Florida (another state), I don't have
>to pay their sales tax, 'cause I don't live there.  So, the way it works here
>is it wouldn't matter (to you, since you don't live here) if we had a sales
>tax of 100%, since you don't have to pay it.
>
>Prices are quoted without sales tax because (at mail order places) because
>most people don't have to pay them, and because it makes everything look
>cheaper.
>
>I hope I've cleared things up for everybody.

	Well, not quite. I don't know where the sales tax is 15%,
but it certainly isn't New York City. Here we have 8 1/4% tax, 6%
state and 2 1/4% local. The city is/was considering raising it
1/4%.

andrew@postmod.UUCP (Andrew J. Richardson) (07/24/90)

>In article <34361@ut-emx.UUCP> lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) writes:
>In article <KK102029.90Jul23114225@kaarne.tut.fi> kk102029@tut.fi (Karsisto Konsta) writes:
>>
>>No you wouldn't. As far as I know prices in the US are always quoted
>>without any sales taxes, because there are _no_sales_taxes_ in most of
>>the states.
>>
>>Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
>You're wrong.  Here in Texas, the sales tax is about 6% state, extra 2% city.
>It ranges from about 4% (can't remember where) to around 15% (new york city).
                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
15%?  Ahhh!  No, not quite that high, try 8.5%.  That's 7.5 for New York
State, and 1% for the city.

-

	Andrew

	{decvax}!postmod!andrew
	andrew@postmod.UUCP

rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul23.170125.16515@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <KK102029.90Jul23114225@kaarne.tut.fi> kk102029@tut.fi (Karsisto Konsta) writes:
>
>	Most states I believe DO have sales tax. The reasons that
>it isn't quoted are: a) every state has a different tax rate.
>		     b) most states don't/can't collect taxes on
>interstate purchases. That is why mail order is so popular: you
>buy from another state and they can't tax you. There is no
>FEDERAL sales tax, just state sales tax.

When I'm not at college, I call Massachusetts home.  They have a 5% (I think)
sales tax.  However, 10 miles north of where I live is New Hampshire, and
there they have no sales tax.  It's great.  If you buy something marked as
$9.98 with a $10 bill, you get 2 cents back.  It can get confusing sometimes
when you give the cashier a $10 and a $1, and she immediately gives you back
the $1.  It is often worth a 30 or so mile trip to a store in New Hampshire
to save $50 - $100 on a large purchase.

>Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

Rich Champeaux                       PLT:  The plotter device for the Amiga!
rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu           Ask for it at your neighborhood FTP site!

"Well Opey, are you going to take her out and ride her?" - Sheriff Andy Taylor