[comp.sys.amiga] New Snap available soon

micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) (06/27/90)

A new version of Snap will be available soon.
It works, as far as I know, with AmigaOS 2.0.

Here's the 'changes' file:
Changes. (Initiating source in parantheses.)

1.51
    * Font argument parsing. (Internal, ie me.)
    * Signal handling when a snap fails. (Internal.)
    * Improved font handling. Fonts with kerning and optimized
      bit arrays, eg Courier, are now handled correctly.
      (Internal.)
    * An old debugging DisplayBeep() in the simple refresh
      routine removed. (Roger Nordin.)
    * The graphics snap window title said ") 1989". Changed
      to ") 1990". (Roger Nordin.)
    * The following sequence in a script, eg startup-sequence,
      could cause problems:
        run >nil: snap
        endcli
      William Hawes solved this for me. Thanks, Bill. It turned
      out to be a bug in Manx' (and Lattice's) startup code.
      A file that explains how to fix this is included in this
      distribution. (Lars Wiklund.)
    * Explanation of compiler switches added to the makefile.
      (huver%amgraf@uunet.uu.net).
    * Check for failed Open() in SaveGfx. Volume might be
      write-protected. (Ismo Suihko.)
    * Support for fonts higher than 16 points. (Dale D. Snell).
    * Smarter font opening modelled after Dave Haynie's code
      in SetFont 2.7. (Internal.)
    * Ismo Suihko solved the memory loss problem that occured
      when graphics snap windows. (Ismo Suihko.)

1.5
    * Reverse engineering of InputEvents completely rewritten.
      (Multiple requests & bug reports.)
    * Alternate font (Why do I support CygnusEd when they
      don't support the clipboard?). (Internal + UseNet.)
    * Fonts added to the caching mechanism. (Internal.)
    * Default input handler priority raised to 52 to avoid
      problems with CygnusEd. (Internal.)
    * Specifying a combination of qualifiers now requires that
      ALL of the qualifiers are down for Snap to respond.
      (Popular request, ie Christopher A. Wichura.)
    * No automatic detaching. (Lack of documentation, Aztec 5.0)
    * Arp.library replaced by req.library for file requester.
      (Internal. It looks much nicer.)

And here's some of the changes that hasn't been made:

* Gfx snap to clipboard (Anybody got any good docs on this?).
* Probably a lot of other things.

This version will be the last major one for pre-2.0. Bugs will be
fixed, of course.

Well, I guess that's it. If you've got any terrific ideas, I need
to hear them as soon as possible.

Comments and complaints are (as always) very welcome.

/Mikael

PS. It does paste more than 256 chars into A-Talk III, right Marco. ;-)

--

 \_/   Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN
  V                           | micke@slaka.sirius.se
  |      Absolut Software     | micke@slaka.UUCP
 ~~~                          | {mcvax,seismo}!sunic!liuida!slaka!micke

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (06/28/90)

micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:

>A new version of Snap will be available soon.
>[Seventy-eight more lines detailing improvements to snap]

For the benefit of those of us who don't have every PD program engraved
into our brains, in future postings perhaps you could mention just what
it is that Snap does?  From the upgrade notes, I gather that it's a
generic text cut & paste utility, but this hardly obvious from the posting.

Kenneth Herron

micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) (06/29/90)

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:
>micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
>>A new version of Snap will be available soon.
>>[Seventy-eight more lines detailing improvements to snap]
>For the benefit of those of us who don't have every PD program engraved
>into our brains, in future postings perhaps you could mention just what
>it is that Snap does?

Sorry about that. Here's a part of the documentation that hopefully
describes what Snap does:
What is it?

  Snap is the perfect tool for the lazy typer. Isn't it
  irritating when you look at something on the screen
  and think: "That is what I'm going to type."?
  What if you could just point at it and get the computer to
  type it for you? That's where Snap comes to the rescue.
  Another thing that irritates me is that I'm sitting in
  front of THE computer and still I must have pen and
  paper available to scribble down something from the screen
  that I know I will need later. Snap provides a solution
  to that problem also. Just frame it and Snap creates a
  window with a copy of the screen contents. Perfect for
  snapping text from later on. This is another idea borrowed
  from the computer scientists at Xerox Palo Alto Research
  Center (you know, the ones who invented the mouse, windows,
  icons and stuff like that).

Why use Snap instead?

   a. Snap finds out the character coordinates automatically.
   b. Snap uses the RastPort's current font, not just Topaz 8.
   c. Snap was written by me.
   d. Snap supports all fixed width fonts with width<16.
   e. Snap supports accented characters (128-255).
   f. Snap supports keymaps.
   g. Snap does both column and text oriented snapping.
   h. Snap snaps graphics.
   i. Snap uses the clipboard, making it compatible with TxED (and NotePad).
   j. Snap understands inverted characters.
   k. Snap understands bold characters.
   l. Snap understands underlined characters
   m. Snap does word oriented snapping.
   n. Snap has ants.
   o. Snap has a key combination to do insert.
   p. Snap supports Xerox style snapping with immediate insert.
   q. Snap prepends and appends characters.
   r. Snap saves graphics.
   s. Snap caches the character offsets between windows.
   t. Snap joins long lines.
   u. Snap supports ARexx to read and set prepend and append strings.
   v. Snap handles an extra pixel line between character rows.
   w. Snap supports an alternate font for snapping.
   x. Snap supports fonts of any height, settable at compile time.
   y. Snap caches the fonts between windows.

/Mikael

--

 \_/   Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN
  V                           | micke@slaka.sirius.se
  |      Absolut Software     | micke@slaka.UUCP
 ~~~                          | {mcvax,seismo}!sunic!liuida!slaka!micke

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (07/25/90)

In article <82365.AA82365@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
:Why use Snap instead?
:   n. Snap has ants.
:Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN

What use are snappy ants?  Are they a better breed of bug?
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) (07/25/90)

In article <1162@tardis.Tymnet.COM>, jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) says:
>In article <82365.AA82365@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael
>Karlsson) writes:
>:Why use Snap instead?
>:   n. Snap has ants.
>:Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN
>
>What use are snappy ants?  Are they a better breed of bug?

Not really, but they sure look neat.

Ian Smith <ims103@psuvm.bitnet>