[comp.sys.amiga] Font Cartridges for the HP DeskJet+

taylor@swbatl.sbc.com (George Taylor - Southwestern Bell - Dallas, Tx.) (07/20/90)

I'm interested in purchasing either font cartidges or memory
additions for my HP DeskJet+ and am wondering what, if any,
software packages will either dynamically use the cartridge fonts
or be able to download soft fonts from my A1000 e/w 2Meg Starboard
and 40Meg HD?  I fairly sure TeX would download fonts, but do you
need the additional memory.  As an experienced user of troff, I can
say I'm not really interested in learning another photo-typeset
language.  So, what I am leaning towards is buying a font cartridge
if there is a WP package that will use the fonts without me having
to go to the printer and change the defaults.

George Taylor

--
George Taylor - SWBT - Network Planning
208 S. Akard, Room 0551, Dallas, Texas   75202

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (07/22/90)

In article <1990Jul20.151610.15507@swbatl.sbc.com> taylor@swbatl.sbc.com (George Taylor - Southwestern Bell - Dallas, Tx.) writes:
   >I'm interested in purchasing either font cartidges or memory
   >additions for my HP DeskJet+ and am wondering what, if any,
   >software packages will either dynamically use the cartridge fonts
   >or be able to download soft fonts from my A1000 e/w 2Meg Starboard
   >and 40Meg HD?  I fairly sure TeX would download fonts, but do you
   >need the additional memory.

The DJ+ definitely needs a memory cartridge for downloading even the
smallest of fonts.  As for TeX, at least AmigaTeX from Radical Eye,
the DeskJet driver does not download fonts -- the entire page is
printed pretty much as a bitmap.  According to Tom Rokicki the
DeskJet and DJ+ does not allow certain things to be done with
downloaded fonts (or ones from cartridges) and thus he doesn't
support them (at least last time he mentioned DL fonts on the net).

	-Rusty-

--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  rusty%fe2o3@mimsy.umd.edu

davemad@pnet01.cts.com (Dave Madsen) (07/23/90)

In article <29224@pnet01.cts.com> taylor@swbatl.sbc.com
(George Taylor - Southwestern Bell - Dallas, Tx.) writes:

> I'm interested in purchasing either font cartidges or memory
> additions for my HP DeskJet+ and am wondering what, if any,
> software packages will either dynamically use the cartridge fonts
> or be able to download soft fonts from my A1000 e/w 2Meg Starboard
> and 40Meg HD?  I fairly sure TeX would download fonts, but do you
> need the additional memory.  As an experienced user of troff, I can
> say I'm not really interested in learning another photo-typeset
> language.  So, what I am leaning towards is buying a font cartridge
> if there is a WP package that will use the fonts without me having
> to go to the printer and change the defaults.

George,

I think that WordPerfect for the Amiga will allow you to use cartridge
fonts fairly painlessly.  As for downloading fonts, there is at least
one freely distributable program for the amiga which will allow you to
download softfonts into your DeskJet, and I believe that there are
quite a few softfonts available on various BBS systems.  Yes, you do
need to buy a memory cartridge to be able to download softfonts into
the printer.  In any case, it wouldn't really be much of a problem
to change fonts in a software package as long as it supports the
insertion of escape codes.

> George Taylor - SWBT - Network Planning
> 208 S. Akard, Room 0551, Dallas, Texas   75202
> UUCP: { pyramid, uunet, bellcore }...!swbatl!taylor
> PHON: 214-464-5319 FAX: 214-464-5576

-----------------------------------------------------+------------------------+
UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!davemad + Dave R. Madsen         +
ARPA: crash!pnet01!davemad@nosc.mil                  + Computer Science Major +
INET: davemad@pnet01.cts.com                         + Iowa State University  +

kevint@hpsad.HP.COM (Kevin Taddeucci) (07/26/90)

     I believe WordPerfect will support different printer fonts. I know
     the MS-DOS version does and I think I remember reading a review which
     stated the Amiga Version does as well.

      | Kevin J. Taddeucci          | e-mail: kevint@hpsad.hp.com        |
      | ATE Software Supervisor     | HPDesk: Kevin TADDEUCCI /HP5300/A0 |
      | Telnet: 794-4192            | HP Mailstop: 1UR-M                 |