[comp.sys.amiga] NEED***!! PD TeX

ecottle@falcon.afit.af.mil (Eugene T. Cottle) (07/20/90)

Where might I get ahold of public domain TeX (CommonTeX) for the Amiga?

-E Cottle
ecottle@falcon.afit.af.mil

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (07/20/90)

In article <1656@blackbird.afit.af.mil>, ecottle@falcon.afit.af.mil (Eugene T. Cottle) writes...
>Where might I get ahold of public domain TeX (CommonTeX) for the Amiga?

If you can spare the money (not much--$200, I think), Tom
Rokicki's AmigaTeX is well worth the expense. I've never heard
anyone say anything negative about it.

-dh

---
Don Hosek                         TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting and
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu         production work. Free Estimates.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet
uunet!jarthur!ymir                Phone: 714-625-0147

consp13@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Marcus Cannava) (07/20/90)

In article <7876@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, dhosek@sif.claremont.edu
(Hosek, Donald A.) writes:

|>If you can spare the money (not much--$200, I think), Tom
|>Rokicki's AmigaTeX is well worth the expense. I've never heard
|>anyone say anything negative about it.
|>
|>-dh

	Let me second that:

	Tom Rokicki's AmigaTeX is an INCREDIBLY powerful TeX package, with a
full previewer and a host of support utilities. It's well worth the
price and comes complete with LaTeX and METAFONT. Tom also is very
willing to work out special arrangements for payment.

	Support from Radical Eye Software (Tom's company) is EXCELLENT, and
additional support is available on BIX.

	I've been running AmigaTeX on my A3000 for about a month, and have had
ZERO problems with it.

	Heartily recommended.

					\marc

=====

'I do not fear computers.. I fear the lack of them'  -- I. Asimov
									RNM

adf@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Andrew D. Fernandes) (07/20/90)

In article <7876@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@sif.claremont.edu writes:
>In article <1656@blackbird.afit.af.mil>, ecottle@falcon.afit.af.mil (Eugene T. Cottle) writes...
>>Where might I get ahold of public domain TeX (CommonTeX) for the Amiga?
>
>If you can spare the money (not much--$200, I think), Tom
>Rokicki's AmigaTeX is well worth the expense. I've never heard
>anyone say anything negative about it.
>
>-dh
>
>---
>Don Hosek                         TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting and
>dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu         production work. Free Estimates.
>dhosek@ymir.bitnet
>uunet!jarthur!ymir                Phone: 714-625-0147

TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting???  My goodness... one might think
you were not quite objective... ;-)

But in this case, you are.  A little while ago, I posted to the net
asking if AmigaTeX from Radical Eye was any good as I had heard all
sorts of nasty rumors about the company being somewhat... ifffy.

Well, after getting suitably flamed and having Tom Rokicki(sp?) email me
himself, one thing lead to another and I ended out shelling out 300$ for
the entire TeX Etc. package and printer driver.

The English language does not have enough words in it to praise this
package.  It is fantastic, great, supported, flawless, considerate, etc.,
etc., etc....  Best software package you're ever likely to buy.

Fantastic.

Andrew D. Fernandes, adf@watcsc.{u}waterloo.{ca|edu}, {...}!watmath!watcsc!adf
"Man is a rational animal... so at least I have been told." - Bertrand Russell

KELLYDK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Doug Kelly) (07/20/90)

Well, after AmigaTex has been suggested to you ( with good reason; it's
about the only software package that I've heard NO negative comments
about)  if you still need commontex, it can be found on xanth.cs.odu.edu
in the incoming/amiga directory.  It doesn't come with much, but
it does produce .dvi files, and it's free.

doug kelly
kellydk@qucdn.queensu.ca

ecottle@falcon.afit.af.mil (Eugene T. Cottle) (07/26/90)

I'm sure that AmigaTex (Radical Eye) is wonderful.  I have not heard anything
bad about it either.  Except the price.  I have not been quoted anything less
than $400.  It may be very well worth the price, but I cannot afford it.  I
do not need wonderful, I need functional.  I also need to have a public
domain version we can share with other graduate students in our user's
group.  I may someday buy the commercial version, but for now, I would like
very much to get ahold of the generic one.

-E Cottle
ecottle@falcon.afit.af.mil

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (07/26/90)

In article <1662@blackbird.afit.af.mil> @falcon.UUCP (Eugene T. Cottle) writes:
>I'm sure that AmigaTex (Radical Eye) is wonderful.  I have not heard anything
>bad about it either.  Except the price.  I have not been quoted anything less
>than $400.  It may be very well worth the price, but I cannot afford it.  I
>do not need wonderful, I need functional.  I also need to have a public
>domain version we can share with other graduate students in our user's
>group.  I may someday buy the commercial version, but for now, I would like
>very much to get ahold of the generic one.
>-E Cottle
>ecottle@falcon.afit.af.mil

May I suggest two things. First, are all of your fellow graduate students
using Amigas ? If so you might consider getting a group license from Radical
Eye Software, talk to Tom to see if that can make your individual costs
more reasonable. You can also buy the $200 basic package for "everyone"
and one set of printer drivers for the machine you print your hard copy
on. Since AmigaTeX .dvi files are complete and compatible in every way
you can also get final printouts from any of a number of places. Possibly
even the "main" computer system you have access to at work.

As many people have said the generic on is on xanth in incoming/amiga/tex*
and in amiga/commontex.zoo. You will need a somewhat enhanced system to
run it (like 2MB of RAM and at least 2 floppies preferably a hard disk)

If you don't have an expanded system it may be cheaper to buy TeX than
it is to buy hardware. You know what your budget is.

You can call the Radical Eye BBS and ask about group licenses, its
number is (415) 327-2346 (32-RADIO)

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM