[comp.sys.amiga] Recovering Files

pa1158@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) (11/13/89)

  Does anyone know how to recover an unclosed file on AmigaDOS?   I
just did a raytrace on TS and wouldn't you know it.....I crashed it
at 94.7% completion.   I'm running DiskX on the file but it is still
scanning for links.  DiskX had never recovered anything for me.  Is
there any util out there that can recover an unclosed on deleted
file?
                                              -Viet

Please email vho@ucsd.edu
Thanks

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (11/14/89)

in article <5037@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, pa1158@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) says:

> Is there any util out there that can recover an unclosed on deleted
> file?

Hmmm... That's one I've never looked at real closely.  If you have DiskSalv
1.4x, you can scan your disk for that file; it certainly won't hurt anything
to try.  Assuming the unclosed file named "FileXX" is somewhere on device DXX:,
you'd invoke DiskSalv like this:

	DiskSalv DXX: RAM: FILE FileXX

That'll cause DiskSalv to scan the entire DXX: device and only store files
that match the pattern you give to the file option -- in this case, the
FileXX name as an exact match.  If you try it, pleace let me know what
happens.  I'll certainly try it myself, as this is one situation I haven't
really analyzed much.

>                                               -Viet
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough
--

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (11/30/89)

In article <8542@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>Hmmm... That's one I've never looked at real closely.  If you have DiskSalv
>1.4x, you can scan your disk for that file; it certainly won't hurt anything
<some text deleted>
>I'll certainly try it myself, as this is one situation I haven't
>really analyzed much.

I've used DiskSalv to recover files ever since I found the file on a local BBS
back in July of 1987 when I had my 500.  Now, with a 2000HD, I've had to use
it quite a bit more, and it works great!  I just:
disksalv FROM fh1: TO df0: FFS ASK
after deleting an important file, as I too often do, and I've never had any
problems, except for losing data under DiskSalv 1.3 after aborting it, but the
hard drive was in pretty bad shape before that, so. . .

+-------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| John A. Dutka     | WSU Term #7: Kinetic Energy.  Unit: The CowKin (CK):   |
| Box 2308          | 1 CK = the kinetic energy of the average cow.          |
| 100 Institute Rd. |      = m/[2*m(c)] * [x/[l(c)*t(c)]]^2                  |
| 01609-2280    | jdutka@wpi.bitnet jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu  husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka |
+---------------+------------------------------------------------------------+

drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Michael E. Drues) (12/04/89)

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) writes:

>I've used DiskSalv to recover files ever since I found the file on a local BBS
>back in July of 1987 when I had my 500.  Now, with a 2000HD, I've had to use
>it quite a bit more, and it works great!  I just:
>disksalv FROM fh1: TO df0: FFS ASK

This is probably a dumb question so excuse my ignorance but I was
wondering...

It it possible to undelete a file in RAM ?

I would doubt it but I'd just thought I'd ask all you experts out
there.  8^)

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
|   //                  Michael Drues                                   |
| \X/     Internet:     drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu                  |
|         Bitnet:       v2.med@isumvs.bitnet                            |

Beans@tlvx.UUCP (Beans Baxter) (07/27/90)

        A program named "Undelete" by Dan Schein may do the job. I recently
downloaded a large file, and on the last block, Xmodem locked up on me. When I
tryed to open it, all I got was an Empty file. I "deleted" the file(Regularly)
and then used this program (Undelete) when it was 'undeleted' it ended up
working and being full(As opposed to the empty file it was before). If you
need this file I would be more than happy to send it to you.