[comp.sys.amiga] A3000 intro manual

igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Peter Dufault) (07/18/90)

This is my first message here, I just got a 3000. Anyway I was looking through

the schematics in the A3000 manual and ran accross these interesting lines.

Schematic:              Quote:
E-2     I had to move, really had to move.
E-3     Protect yourself, my nuts!
E-4     It's been such a long time, I think I should be going.
E-5     I want to live with the cinnamon girl.
E-6     And all the science I don't understand, is just my job 5 days a week.
E-7     I call that a bargain; the best I ever had.
E-8     It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.
E-9     In the locust wind comes a rattle and hum.
E-10    In the valley of shadowless death, they pray for thunder and rain...
E-11    A3000 display enhancer circuitry.
E-12    I'm back in the high life again.
E-13    Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!
E-14    Ring out the old, ring in the new.
E-15    You're just like crosstown traffic...
E-16    SCSI interface.
E-17    Something about a management chip.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!igor
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!igor@nosc.mil
INET: igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org

In article <2884@orbit.cts.com> igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Peter Dufault) writes:
>This is my first message here, I just got a 3000. Anyway I was looking through

>the schematics in the A3000 manual and ran accross these interesting lines.

[....A3000 Schematic Quotes....]

So, did you figure out where these came from?

HINT: Those from E-11,E-16,and E-17 have no deep hidden meaning :-)

	"I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit" -REM

Keith.Stewart@actrix.co.nz (Keith Stewart) (07/19/90)

In article <2884@orbit.cts.com> igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Peter Dufault) writes:
>This is my first message here, I just got a 3000. Anyway I was looking through
>
>the schematics in the A3000 manual and ran accross these interesting lines.

Yay Contest time Match the quotes to the song or book and feel good
I will start

>Schematic:              Quote:
>E-2     I had to move, really had to move.
>E-3     Protect yourself, my nuts!
>E-4     It's been such a long time, I think I should be going.
>E-5     I want to live with the cinnamon girl.

   This from "Cinnamon Girl" on Live Rust by Neil Young
>E-6     And all the science I don't understand, is just my job 5 days a week.
>E-7     I call that a bargain; the best I ever had.
>E-8     It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.
>E-9     In the locust wind comes a rattle and hum.
>E-10    In the valley of shadowless death, they pray for thunder and rain...
>E-11    A3000 display enhancer circuitry.
>E-12    I'm back in the high life again.
>E-13    Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!
>E-14    Ring out the old, ring in the new.
>E-15    You're just like crosstown traffic...
I know I know it........

>E-16    SCSI interface.
>E-17    Something about a management chip.
>

>UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!igor
>ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!igor@nosc.mil
>INET: igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org

Well I got one and am I hang on I mean I am sure I know that crosstown
traffic one but its over to you people

Keith Stewart
Secretary
The New Zealand Branch of
The Dave Haynie Fan Club

--

Keith Stewart

B2000 Rev 4.5 2 Floppy Disk Drives  2058 RAM Card w/ 2meg

olch@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Olivier Charrier) (07/19/90)

In article <2884@orbit.cts.com> igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Peter Dufault) writes:
>This is my first message here, I just got a 3000. Anyway I was looking through
>the schematics in the A3000 manual and ran accross these interesting lines.
>
>Schematic:              Quote:
>
>E-6     And all the science I don't understand, is just my job 5 days a week.

  This one is from Elton John's "Rocket Man". At least, C= guys have
taste for good music :-)

>E-9     In the locust wind comes a rattle and hum.

  And maybe this is U2's "Rattle and Hum"? (not so sure about it).

  And now, what about the other ones?

| Cedric BEUST                                     University of Nice    |
| USENET: beust@cerisi.cerisi.fr                   $whoami               |
|         uunet!taloa.unice.fr!beust@uunet.UU.NET  god (personal alias)  |
|                    - "To be, or not to be...",                         |
|                      That is unlogical, captain!                       |
|                                     -- Spock                           |

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (The Veteran Cosmic Rocker) (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul19.051422.27216@actrix.co.nz> Keith.Stewart@actrix.co.nz (Keith Stewart) writes:
>>E-4     It's been such a long time, I think I should be going.

          "Foreplay/Long Time" on _Boston_ by Boston

>>E-6     And all the science I don't understand, is just my job 5 days a week.

          "Rocket Man" by Elton John (don't know the album)

>>E-7     I call that a bargain; the best I ever had.

          "Bargain" by The Who.  I think from _Who's Next_.

>>E-12    I'm back in the high life again.

          "I'm Back in the High Life Again" - Steve Winwood.

Personally, I liked the song quotes on the A2000 schematics better, especially
"I wait in this place where the sun never shines." on the IBM bus schematics.

--
Rich Carreiro                                    The "War on Drugs"
ARPA: rlcarr@athena.mit.edu                      is merely a smokescreen for

chymes@fribourg.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul19.051422.27216@actrix.co.nz> Keith.Stewart@actrix.co.nz (Keith Stewart) writes:

>Yay Contest time Match the quotes to the song or book and feel good
>I will start

Ok, against my better judgement, I will waste bandwith on this silly
game:

>>Schematic:              Quote:

>>E-4     It's been such a long time, I think I should be going.
Boston, Its been such a long time.

>>E-6     And all the science I don't understand, is just my job 5 days a week.
Elton John, Rocket Man

>>E-7     I call that a bargain; the best I ever had.
The Who ... um... Bargin?

>>E-9     In the locust wind comes a rattle and hum.
U2 Bah!

>>E-12    I'm back in the high life again.
Stevie Winwood, Back in the High Life

>>E-13    Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!
Bob The God Marley, Get up Stand up

>>E-15    You're just like crosstown traffic...
Jimmey Hendrix Cross Town Traffic

Charlweed Hymerfan (A Major Dude)
as in
Any major dude with half a heart surely could tell you my friend..... Steely Dan!

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul19.051422.27216@actrix.co.nz> Keith.Stewart@actrix.co.nz (Keith Stewart) writes:
>In article <2884@orbit.cts.com> igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Peter Dufault) writes:
>>This is my first message here, I just got a 3000. Anyway I was looking through
>>
>>the schematics in the A3000 manual and ran accross these interesting lines.
>

>Yay Contest time Match the quotes to the song or book and feel good
>I will start
>
>>Schematic:              Quote:
>>E-2     I had to move, really had to move.
>>E-3     Protect yourself, my nuts!
>>E-4     It's been such a long time, I think I should be going.

From the song Long Time on Boston's first album

>>E-5     I want to live with the cinnamon girl.
>

>   This from "Cinnamon Girl" on Live Rust by Neil Young
>>E-6     And all the science I don't understand, is just my job 5 days a week.
>>E-7     I call that a bargain; the best I ever had.
>>E-8     It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

The Grateful Dead, of course.  Box of Rain on the album American Beauty.

>>E-9     In the locust wind comes a rattle and hum.

U2, Rattle and Hum

>>E-10    In the valley of shadowless death, they pray for thunder and rain...
>>E-11    A3000 display enhancer circuitry.
>>E-12    I'm back in the high life again.
>>E-13    Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!

Bob Marley.  Get Up Stand Up...forgot the album...

>>E-14    Ring out the old, ring in the new.
>>E-15    You're just like crosstown traffic...
>I know I know it........
>
>>E-16    SCSI interface.

Seen on bathroom wall at Atari corp, Sunnyvale, CA. :-)

>>E-17    Something about a management chip.
>>

>>UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!igor
>>ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!igor@nosc.mil
>>INET: igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org
>
>Well I got one and am I hang on I mean I am sure I know that crosstown
>traffic one but its over to you people

I got a few more.  I think I know a couple of others, but I can't
remember where they came from... :-(  I guess I should of had a few
less pitchers while in my studying years, eh? :-)

>Keith Stewart
>Secretary
>The New Zealand Branch of
>The Dave Haynie Fan Club
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Where do I sign?

>--
>
>Keith Stewart

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Donde hay una cerveza
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |hay un plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |El Guerrero Aereo es el rey!
------------------------------+---------------------------

jjfeiler@arrester.caltech.edu (John Jay Feiler) (07/20/90)

Keith.Stewart@actrix.co.nz (Keith Stewart) writes:

>In article <2884@orbit.cts.com> igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Peter Dufault) writes:
>>This is my first message here, I just got a 3000. Anyway I was looking through
>>
>>the schematics in the A3000 manual and ran accross these interesting lines.
>Yay Contest time Match the quotes to the song or book and feel good
>I will start

>>Schematic:              Quote:
>>E-2     I had to move, really had to move.
>>E-3     Protect yourself, my nuts!
>>E-4     It's been such a long time, I think I should be going.
>>E-5     I want to live with the cinnamon girl.
>   This from "Cinnamon Girl" on Live Rust by Neil Young
>>E-6     And all the science I don't understand, is just my job 5 days a week.
Rocket Man, by Elton John
>>E-7     I call that a bargain; the best I ever had.
I know this is the Who, but I can't think of the title of the song
>>E-8     It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.
>>E-9     In the locust wind comes a rattle and hum.
>>E-10    In the valley of shadowless death, they pray for thunder and rain...
>>E-11    A3000 display enhancer circuitry.
>>E-12    I'm back in the high life again.
Steve Winwood, the song High Life??
>>E-13    Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!
Bob Marley, Get Up, Stand Up
>>E-14    Ring out the old, ring in the new.
>>E-15    You're just like crosstown traffic...
>I know I know it........
Jimi Hendrix, I think
>>E-16    SCSI interface.
>>E-17    Something about a management chip.
>>
>Well I got one and am I hang on I mean I am sure I know that crosstown
>traffic one but its over to you people
>Keith Stewart

John Feiler

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (07/20/90)

In article <2884@orbit.cts.com> igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Peter Dufault) writes:
>the schematics in the A3000 manual and ran accross these interesting lines.
>
>E-10    In the valley of shadowless death, they pray for thunder and rain...

Genesis, "Mad Man Moon", from _A_Trick_of_the_Tail_ (the first album after
Peter Gabriel left, several albums before they went pop).  Only, it should
be "thunderclouds and rain"...at least on the studio album.

-dan

In article <10552@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) writes:
>In article <2884@orbit.cts.com> igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Peter Dufault) writes:
>>the schematics in the A3000 manual and ran accross these interesting lines.

>>E-10    In the valley of shadowless death, they pray for thunder and rain...

>Genesis, "Mad Man Moon", from _A_Trick_of_the_Tail_ (the first album after
>Peter Gabriel left, several albums before they went pop).  Only, it should
>be "thunderclouds and rain"...at least on the studio album.

Yeah, it should be.  Was that wrong on the schematics?  I put that in there!
_A Trick of the Tail_ was the _first_ Genesis album I heard; my cousin Sandy
didn't have any Yes that summer, but claimed that Genesis would be similar.
Not sure if it was, but I certainly became a fan of Genesis at that time,
though I can take or leave the current, Collins inspired Genesis.

My tally now has most of the pages correctly identified.  We can recap in
a bit.  HINTS:  No one has a clue about page E-2.  And on another page, it
is U2, but you all have wrong song.  Until next tome...

           The Dave Haynie branch of the New Zealand Fan Club

a217@mindlink.UUCP (Vincent Lim) (07/21/90)

> In msg 13350@cbmvax.commodore.com, Dave Haynie writes:
>
> HINTS:  No one has a clue about page E-2.  And on another page, it is U2, but
> you all have wrong song.  Until next tome...

The U2 song is "Bullet the Blue Sky" which is on both the "Rattle & Hum" album
and "The Joshua Tree".  The title of the movie/album is derived from the line
in the song.
--
---
  //\migaTrek: The First Generation, Captain of CBM-A1000 "Advantage"

sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) (07/23/90)

In article <13350@cbmvax.commodore.com>, daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
> My tally now has most of the pages correctly identified.  We can recap in
> a bit.  HINTS:  No one has a clue about page E-2.  And on another page, it
> is U2, but you all have wrong song.  Until next tome...

Yes, the verse "in the locust wind comes a rattle and hum" comes from
Bullet the Blue Sky, which is on both the Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum
albums.  (I can't believe noone got this yet!)

E-2, however, has me stumped.

> --
> Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>    {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>            The Dave Haynie branch of the New Zealand Fan Club
--
Gary Wolfe, SYSOP of the Temporal Vortex BBS
..uflorida!unf7!tlvx!sysop, ..unf7!tlvx!sysop@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (07/23/90)

In article <10552@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) writes:
> In article <2884@orbit.cts.com> igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Peter Dufault) writes:
>>the schematics in the A3000 manual and ran accross these interesting lines.
>>
>>E-10    In the valley of shadowless death, they pray for thunder and rain...
>
> Genesis, "Mad Man Moon", from _A_Trick_of_the_Tail_ (the first album after
> Peter Gabriel left, several albums before they went pop).  Only, it should
> be "thunderclouds and rain"...at least on the studio album.
>
> -dan

Recently observed bumper sticker:

    "Squonk if you like Genesis"

8-)
[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                - Baby Herman in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"

jtp@ngs.fi (Jukka Partanen) (07/24/90)

In article <2884@orbit.cts.com> igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Peter Dufault) writes:

>E-14    Ring out the old, ring in the new.

	XTC? Don't remember the name of the album right now. The song
	was something about sacrificial bonfires.

>E-16    SCSI interface.

	No clue. ;-)

jtp@ngs.fi (Jukka Partanen) (07/24/90)

In article <2884@orbit.cts.com> igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Peter Dufault) writes:

>E-14    Ring out the old, ring in the new.

	XTC, Skylarking? The song was something about sacrificial
	bonfires.

d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul19.051422.27216@actrix.co.nz> Keith.Stewart@actrix.co.nz (Keith Stewart) writes:
>E-14    Ring out the old, ring in the new.

That quotation should be by Tennyson.
It goes like this:

Ring out the old, ring in the new.
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

				Karl

---

Karl Hultland,(d87-khd@sm.luth.se)
University of Lulea,Sweden

Revolution: in politics, an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.
						- A. Bierce

In article <JTP.90Jul24095736@ngs.fi> jtp@ngs.fi (Jukka Partanen) writes:
>In article <2884@orbit.cts.com> igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Peter Dufault) writes:

>>E-14    Ring out the old, ring in the new.

>	XTC? Don't remember the name of the album right now. The song
>	was something about sacrificial bonfires.

No.  The next line of this song is "Ring out the false, ring in the true".
           The Dave Haynie branch of the New Zealand Fan Club

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (07/25/90)

For those of us who don't yet have a 3000 intro manual...

On previous issues, the quote relates to the material on the sheet, so
could some kind soul post the _title_ of the drawing along with the
quote, rather than "E-11" ?

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
		ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz.au!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (07/25/90)

Now that we have all the footnotes, I'd be interested in what the
quotes refer to.  For example does...

In article <13412@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
> >In article <2884@orbit.cts.com> igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Peter Dufault) writes:
> >>E-14    Ring out the old, ring in the new.
> No.  The next line of this song is "Ring out the false, ring in the true".

...this have to do with a cache flush circuit?

Tom "The New Jersey branch of the Dave Zealand Fan Club" Limoncelli

tlimonce@drew.edu      Tom Limoncelli     +1 201 408 5389
tlimonce@drew.uucp
tlimonce@drew.Bitnet    My new philosophy on life:
limonce@pilot.njin.net                  "Vogue 'til you puke"

tomri@brutalix.ida.liu.se (Tom Rindborg) (07/25/90)

In article <13412@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <JTP.90Jul24095736@ngs.fi> jtp@ngs.fi (Jukka Partanen) writes:
>>In article <2884@orbit.cts.com> igor@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Peter Dufault) writes:
>
>>>E-14    Ring out the old, ring in the new.
>
>>	XTC? Don't remember the name of the album right now. The song
>>	was something about sacrificial bonfires.
>
>No.  The next line of this song is "Ring out the false, ring in the true".

A song by ex-Beatle George Harrison. I'm not sure about the name of
the song, could be "Ding Dong".

<< Tom Rindborg, SoftLab ab     Phone : +46 13 21 24 70                 >>
<< Teknikringen 14              Fax   : +46 13 21 33 14                 >>
<< S-583 30 LINKOPING           Email : tom@softlab.se                  >>
<< SWEDEN                       UUCP  : uunet!mcsun!sunic!heffa!tom     >>

Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips) (07/25/90)

>>E-14    Ring out the old, ring in the new.

>	XTC? Don't remember the name of the album right now. The song
>	was something about sacrificial bonfires.

DaveH> No.  The next line of this song is "Ring out the false, ring in the
DaveH> true".

Well then, try "Ding, Dong, Ding, Dong" by George Harrison from his "Dark
Horse" album.  (A New Year's song)

BTW, "Ding Dongs" cover all five of the major food groups: salt, sugar,
artificial flavors, artificial colors and caffine -- all the nutrients
required by the modern programmer.  :-)

Disclaimer: Not affiliated with Hostess cupcakes.
--
Chuck Phillips  MS440
NCR Microelectronics 			Chuck.Phillips%FtCollins.NCR.com

aaalexis@sactoh0.UUCP (Andrew A. Alexis) (07/27/90)

writes:

> >>E-14    Ring out the old, ring in the new.
>
> > XTC? Don't remember the name of the album right now. The song
> > was something about sacrificial bonfires.
>
> No.  The next line of this song is "Ring out the false, ring in the
true".
This sounds like the George Harrison song [sic] Ding Dong.  Well, ding
dong is in there somewhere.. I wonder what kind of music are on apple and
ibm schematics?  Probably new age music on macschematics (C)1990, and Top
40 on IBMs...
> --
> Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>    {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>            The Dave Haynie branch of the New Zealand Fan Club
OrSO.. do I win the prize?  If so, I will take the 25 Mhz, 100 Megabyte
version.  You can just email it to me...

--
   Andy Alexis        UUCP:ames!pacbell!sactoh0!aaalexis
  "Toto kansasoseum non est cognito" -- Farley