[comp.sys.amiga] ELF

BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (07/26/90)

   What kinds of monitors does Commodore sell in Sweden?  Are they in
any way different from the monitors that Commodore sells elsewhere in
Europe, or in the world?

   The reason that I ask this is that, about a couple of months ago,
MacWorld raised questions in the U.S. computer industry about the hazards
of ELF (Extremely Low Frequency) radiation from computer monitors.
Monitors sold in the U.S. by several manufacturers (Apple, IBM, and
NEC) have been tested, and have found to be producing rather high
levels of ELF radiation.  Commodore monitors have not been tested, but
I suspect that they are probably on par with those by IBM and Apple
in the levels of ELF radiation that they produce.

   It turns out that Sweden has the strictest laws in the world governing
the levels of ELF radiation that a computer monitor can produce.  Since
Commodore does sell Amigas (and thus Amiga monitors) in Sweden, and must
comply with Swedish laws, that got me thinking.  It would be nice if
Commodore could sell these same monitors (especially the version of the
1950 conforming to Swedish laws) in the U.S. with a label specificly
stating that it is a 'LOW ELF' monitor.  This could also raise publicity
for Commodore, by being one of the first of the major U.S. computer
companies to market a LOW ELF monitor in the U.S.

                                -MB-

bjornk@bula.se (Bjorn Knutsson) (07/27/90)

In article <25708@snow-white.udel.EDU> BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>   What kinds of monitors does Commodore sell in Sweden?  Are they in
>any way different from the monitors that Commodore sells elsewhere in
>Europe, or in the world?

The same as everywhere else, I belive.

[Stuff deleted]
>   It turns out that Sweden has the strictest laws in the world governing
>the levels of ELF radiation that a computer monitor can produce.  Since
>Commodore does sell Amigas (and thus Amiga monitors) in Sweden, and must
>comply with Swedish laws, that got me thinking.  It would be nice if
>Commodore could sell these same monitors (especially the version of the
>1950 conforming to Swedish laws) in the U.S. with a label specificly
>stating that it is a 'LOW ELF' monitor.  This could also raise publicity
>for Commodore, by being one of the first of the major U.S. computer
>companies to market a LOW ELF monitor in the U.S.

I'm not sure about this, but I belive we have no such laws, in any
case, not stricter than anywhere else. HOWEVER, our UNIONS have
regulations about radiation from monitors that are probably the
strictest in the world, and given the powers of the Swedish unions,
that might be confused with laws. The bottom line is that I belive
you're free to sell just about the same stuff in Sweden as anywhere
else, but you CANNOT make your employees work with them unless they
are below a certain level of radiation.

By the way, since I work a LOT with my Amiga, I have one of the
"approved" monitors for my Amiga. I'm not sure if it helps, but it
will certainly not hurt.

>                                -MB-

---
Bjorn Knutsson        / USENET: bjornk@bula.se or sunic!sics!bula!bjornk
Stangholmsbacken 44  /  Phone : +46-8-710 7223
S-127 40 SKARHOLMEN /     "Oh dear, I think you'll find reality's on the
S W E D E N        /       blink again."  -- Marvin The Paranoid Android